Very rare find! Martian?

Rocks A Lot

Feb 18, 2019
Peoria, IL
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks like impactite crust to me. If Martian would be true. Third layer burning it's way into earth. Seems legit to me in theory. Could be terrestrial impactite though. For some reason people forget that big impacts can explode with tremendous power. I've seen impactites with same glossy coating that are terrestrial. Not even streams erode that metallic glossy coating off. It's unmistakable once you see it.

Rocks A Lot

Feb 18, 2019
Peoria, IL
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What the heck is an "impactite crust"?

I don't know, maybe an atomic explosion big enough to hurl debris into orbit produces a LOT of heat. Dolomite for instance turns glassy on the surface and creates vesicules of glass through it. One example.. all depends on host rock species on end results like glass tektites. The explosion leaves it's mark for sure and is often submetallic and glossy looking if vitrification couldn't occur to entire specimen. It's easy to spot around any deep impact site.

I guess I should note it's not easily removed either by tumbling. It's an extremely hard protective layer with that specific look to it.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please end it or a mod will, post by our rules.....

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread