Very scarce Samuel Tilden Presidential (smear) token! Led to the contested election o

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Very scarce Samuel Tilden Presidential (smear) token! Led to the contested el...

Today I dug an phenomenal token, and certainly one of my favourite finds of the year! Not only is it full of history, it's listed as scarce (SJT 1876-7 in DeWitt/Sullivan).
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1472002484.309720.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1472002495.797122.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1472002574.428156.jpg

The backstory is even better than the find....

The election of 1876 was one that led to a contested election between Hayes and Tilden. Not only was this election one of the most disputed in American history, it led to changes in the electoral college and the compromise of 1877.

What's better is this smear token talks about fraud and income tax cheating. Sound familiar? Not much changes in 140 years!

Here's a link to some history...
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_J._Tilden

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1472002381.590008.jpg

A great find for me is something I've never found before, and from which I learn something new. I hope you all find this token as awesome as me!! This guy got trashed on it!!! Back then they didn't have Twitter and TV to smear one another, they minted tokens.

Also found today is some modern silver, some Indians, and an 1823 large cent I zapped. Yep, ZAPPED!

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1472002716.675052.jpg
Enjoy the history!!

Steve

Last edited:
Upvote 37

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The history behind the finds is as valuable to me as the finds are. Thanks for the background story. Very interesting.

peruna

Feb 14, 2016
central Texas
Detector(s) used
Simplex+
Nox 800
Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great find!

I pastored a church in Madison, Florida a few years ago...the county managed to hold the vote tally out until the end of the reporting time, in order to swing the state to Hayes...well before the "hanging chads" episode. What is interesting were a series of wires that were sent from Tallahassee to Hayes' headquarters...although the text is gone, most speculate that it had something to do with cutting a deal to end Reconstruction. Hayes "won" Florida and the election, Reconstruction ended, and Madison County played a small part in a BIG election. Got the info from an elderly church member whose grandfather was the county clerk in charge of the counting. Your token fits that very story to a T, as far as it being a bitter fight. Congratulations on finding your part of American history!

I wonder if our grandkids will be finding Al Gore stuff in a few years....

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Looks to be a very nice old token. Congrats and thanks for the history. Your other finds are pretty good also.

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
What a great find!

I pastored a church in Madison, Florida a few years ago...the county managed to hold the vote tally out until the end of the reporting time, in order to swing the state to Hayes...well before the "hanging chads" episode. What is interesting were a series of wires that were sent from Tallahassee to Hayes' headquarters...although the text is gone, most speculate that it had something to do with cutting a deal to end Reconstruction. Hayes "won" Florida and the election, Reconstruction ended, and Madison County played a small part in a BIG election. Got the info from an elderly church member whose grandfather was the county clerk in charge of the counting. Your token fits that very story to a T, as far as it being a bitter fight. Congratulations on finding your part of American history!

I wonder if our grandkids will be finding Al Gore stuff in a few years....

Wow, very cool story. Thanks for taking the time to tell it. In today's day and age these stories can fade if they aren't passed on, or told to someone who doesn't care. I would like to think a lot of people care of stories like these.

Thanks again for the awesome story

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome finds and history there Steve. Love the token as well as the other 6 keeper coins. Man I need to get out soon. I was planning on it last weekend, but the new garage door was delivered at 7:30 AM on Saturday and you know what that meant. Yes I had to pull out the old one and install the new door. That took all day and then early Sunday I installed and set the spring. I did get a few hours in hunting the school where I dug the Walker, but did not find much Friday evening. The school building was just torn down a few months ago.

The Dirt Pirate

Dec 21, 2015
Los Angeles CA/ Las Vegas NV
Detector(s) used
White's GMT, White's M6, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab SDC 2300, White's DFX, White's MXT, White's XLT, Garrett 2500 GTI, Fisher F75, Minelab GPX 4500, Minelab GPX 5000, Minelab GPZ 7000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's pretty cool.

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's awesome. Congratulations I guess you won't be spending that at the 7-Eleven

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a damn nice find buddy. If it's not going to be colonial then make it unique with a great story. Really like this one

tomhighland

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2015
In MI woods
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on the super cool token and the other fine keepers. Thank you for the info about the token too. That was a great day you had.

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Love it! Killer find, the history behind that is something else. The use of the hamlet quote on the token is very cool! Congrats!

Yes! I knew it was from something I've read but couldn't place it. Feels like a lifetime ago that I read it in college. Thx for looking

ajaj

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2012
Orange, Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Minelab eTrac
Minelab Excalibur 8"
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds and thanks for the history lesson!

aj

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Killer political smear token man! I was laughing when I saw how ruthless it was... since its scarce, I doubt the Rutherford B. Hayes campaign minted them. Otherwise you would think they would have made a LOT of them to be passed around. It makes me think that perhaps these were made by a smaller Special Interest Group who only had the funds to mint a smaller amount.

Love it! Killer find, the history behind that is something else. The use of the hamlet quote on the token is very cool! Congrats!

I knew JUST the quote you were talking about, but had no clue it was Shakespeare. I had read the "O my offense is rank and smells to heaven" and thought to myself that makes no sense. :laughing7: When I saw your comment though, I knew right away what you were talking about and googled it. Whats cool is in that time period Shakespeare was mainstream enough to put it on a campaign token where most literate people would understand its meaning... I doubt that would happen today... or if it did, most would have to Google it like I just did.... and we for sure had to read Hamlet in school, however too many other things have overwritten that disk space in my brain!

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a damn nice find buddy. If it's not going to be colonial then make it unique with a great story. Really like this one

Lol. The find was by a house built in 1730 so colonial was on the menu, but this is what I got served;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread