Very Small Cob Half or Quarter Reale?

IndianRiverSonrise

Jun 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Various
I found this very small cob. It's only .6 gram. That is underweight for even a quarter reale if I am correct. By looks, it has lost some weight by wear. But since quarter reales are relatively rare compared to half reales, and since I can't get my pattern recognition to kick in on the Monogram side, I'd like any ideas. I know some of you are a lot better than I on recognizing these things. I would like opinions on if it is a half or quarter reale and any other observations. Since the monogram side is not very clear, I am including a few different pictures of the same thing with different orientations. Maybe that will help you line it up with known coins, or maybe it is just in too bad condition to tell anything beside the fact that it seems to be Mexico mint.

cbfcn5.jpg

cb4mm3.jpg

cb3bd8.jpg

cb2fp4.jpg

cb1dj4.jpg

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
It sure looks to be Mexican mint. But even that is hard to say for sure. Nice find though!

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
IRS:
Mexico did produce 1/4 reales coins (0.85g), but not with a cross on the reverse. The earliest 1/4 R coins (1536-1541) didn't have a 'cross', nor did the Fernando VII (1720-1729) 1/4R or the later Carlos IV (1796-1808) 1/4R . Durango, Mexico minted a 1/8 R coin between 1812-1814 but it, too, had no cross in the design.

Actually, since the cross does not appear to have the usual bar and ball tipped design, I wonder if it is even Mexican. Just my 2¢.
Don.....

Trez

May 10, 2006
Treasure Coast (Vero Beach) to Sebastian
Detector(s) used
Sov Elite, CZ20, Minelab Sovereign XS, Explorer II, My eyeballs to bloody fingers have done me well also.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my 2 cents.......
really looks like a worn out 1/2 real, Mexico mint - Charles II.
nice find anyway you look at it. Chuck's still producing huh.

Trez

OP
OP
IndianRiverSonrise

IndianRiverSonrise

Jun 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Various
Trez said:
my 2 cents.......
really looks like a worn out 1/2 real, Mexico mint - Charles II.
nice find anyway you look at it. Chuck's still producing huh.

Trez

Yes, I think you can see the ball on the lower end of the cross shows a little better in person than in the picture. I was thinking maybe it was showing a bit of the Charles monogram but havent' got the orientation figured out yet. Like Mackay points out, I haven't found any evidence of a cuarto with a cross on it, so probably is a badly worn half. Thanks to both of you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions