Very Unexpected Find in a Penny Roll with pics

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
I always check the rolled change at work most the pennies for wheats an forgien coins.. I check the others but not much silver has been found. Yesterday I was checking a rollof pennies an seen a very thick disc in the roll..so I popped it out an replaced it with a penny an finished looking thru the roll... it was a very worn coin an was very brown, worn an pitted.. so after I rerolled the pennies I looked at the disc an it was a 1858 Flying eagle... anyone else found a flying eagle in a roll of pennies??? I would post a pic but it probly won't do much good since it is in AG-3 - G-4 condition

Attachments

• 1858flyingeagle 001.jpg
    1858flyingeagle 001.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 874
  • 1858flyingeagle 002.jpg
    1858flyingeagle 002.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 867
Upvote 0

brendan1414

Apr 9, 2011
Re: Very Unexpected Find in a Penny Roll

creeper71 said:
I always check the rolled change at work most the pennies for wheats an forgien coins.. I check the others but not much silver has been found. Yesterday I was checking a rollof pennies an seen a very thick disc in the roll..so I popped it out an replaced it with a penny an finished looking thru the roll... it was a very worn coin an was very brown, worn an pitted.. so after I rerolled the pennies I looked at the disc an it was a 1858 Flying eagle... anyone else found a flying eagle in a roll of pennies??? I would post a pic but it probly won't do much good since it is in AG-3 - G-4 condition

wow that is super rare... i haven't seen a FE on this forum for a while. Very incredible find! even in that condition i would be happy with it.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

wow nice incredible find!!!!!!!! Is it possible to post pictures? I know by the way you describe the coin it is in horrible shape, but I really want to see it :)

HH
BuffaloBoy

rfishoutofwater

Feb 11, 2011
PNW
Detector(s) used
garret 350

That's awesome. I scored a flying eagle a month or so ago in a roll of pennies. I posted pics. Please post some too. I would love to see.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for posting the picture, incredible that there are still flying eagles out there, I know my local coin machine is very picky and spits out dimes with minor bends in them, no possible way the machine would take a flying eagle(thicker and damaged), just amazing how that got into a machine roll...

HH!

OP
OP
creeper71

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
captainfwiffo said:
You weren't kidding about the condition. Still, amazing find, 153 years old!
yeah so pitted I thought the 8 was a 6 first time looking with loupe, I bout pooped my pants..lol

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Excellent find :icon_thumright: Can't get much more better than a flying eagle. Next up is the 1955 doubled die, 1943 copper penny and 1944 steel penny.

OP
OP
creeper71

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
Generic_Lad said:
Excellent find :icon_thumright: Can't get much more better than a flying eagle. Next up is the 1955 doubled die, 1943 copper penny and 1944 steel penny.
actually I am not that greedy.lol I search the rolls hoping to find a 1914d

santafeboy

Dec 8, 2010
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter 1100
Looks like a metal detecting find that someone dumped. Still awesome to find a Flying Eagle

OP
OP
creeper71

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
santafeboy said:
Looks like a metal detecting find that someone dumped. Still awesome to find a Flying Eagle
exactly what I thought, I am thinking they might not even knew what it was an dumped it cause it has one cent on back

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread