Very unusual find.

jnicholes

Mar 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

I have not been on the forum for a while. How is everyone? I am posting today because I found something rather unusual while I was exploring my front yard.

So in our front yard, we have this pine tree. The Pine trees branches go all the way to the ground. Just out of curiosity, I looked under the branches right on the ground near the trunk of the tree. I found something odd, but amazing. I am attaching a picture.

A073ABB5-0412-4852-ACCC-BC39F6C8FFE4.jpeg

I found what looks like fossilized bones. A whole lot of very large ones. About 10 pieces. I have no idea what kind of bones they are, but a friend of mine who is a rockhound confirmed that they were bones. Here is a picture of all the bones I found.

E9E8C091-43DB-481F-A09B-BA4EBF0FC33F.jpeg

If you need a close-up of each one, I will get them.

What do you think? Are they bones?

Any help identifying will be appreciated.

Jared

the_mad_cladder

Jan 2, 2015
North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with all the coils, MI-6 pinpointer, Ace350 and Garrett pro pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’m no expert but I’m pretty sure If they were fossilized they would be like stone. Those still look like bone. I’m quessing a dog was eating a treat under a tree but it hard to say. They don’t look real old to me. It would be nice to see the other side of the large one.

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, those are big bones for a dog to chew on. Where you live makes a difference. If fossils, these would fit with what I've seen coming out of the southeast. Don't throw them out.

Upvote 0

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's kinda weird as long as there not human!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hope to hear from ya!!!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jnicholes

Mar 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh,

They actually are like stone. They have the same feel as stone, they have the same sound as stone when I knock on it, and it looks like bone. I actually know of a museum where I live called the Idaho museum of mining and geology. They told me that if I ever find something interesting, I can bring it in and they can identify it. I think I’m going to do that. I thought it would be interesting to show everyone here what I found and get your opinion on what I found. I am attaching a picture of the biggest piece I found. According to my father, it looks like part of a pelvis.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Any further opinions of what I found will be much appreciated. I will keep you updated for when I go to the Idaho museum of mining and geology.

Jared

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 72
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 67
Upvote 0

P.ALLEN

Jun 8, 2017
A2 Michigan
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre, Ace 250, CMS magnetics, Garrett pinpointer, Fiskars trenching spade.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably a genus or species or Pleistocene, Eocene, or Holocene mammal. There were tons of different types of animals in the United States during that time frame, the Black Hills are littered with different species of horse bones(Highly Highly Illegal to collect those) The only other explanation is that someone brought them to the area from another locale. Cool Find, and welcome.

Edit: It doesn't necessarily have to be a Mammal, Idaho is known to have dino fossils, so best bet...get it checked.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WAG would be wooly mammoth, rhino, or some large land animal of the Quaternary Period (last 3 million years). Sloth, bison, etc.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jnicholes

Mar 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

Illegal to collect those? The black hills are in South Dakota, I am in western Idaho. If they are horse bones, is it still illegal?

I don’t want to accidentally break the law.

Anyway, the museum opens tomorrow. I will take them over there tomorrow. Hopefully they can help me out.

I will keep you all updated,

Jared

Upvote 0

P.ALLEN

Jun 8, 2017
A2 Michigan
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre, Ace 250, CMS magnetics, Garrett pinpointer, Fiskars trenching spade.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no you are fine didn't mean to scare you, I was just adding that info about the Black Hills to show the fossil range.

Upvote 0

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Looks like bones.old bones.:zoom:

Upvote 0

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
That makes more sense than what I said.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jnicholes

Mar 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

OK, so I got some good news. The museum that is able to analyze these will not open until April. I don’t know why. However, I was able to get a hold of a university in Kansas and they told me that if I email them pictures along with a description that they would forward it to their paleontologists for identification. Already took care of that, so I’m just waiting for them to get back.

Jared

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jnicholes

Mar 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

Here is an update. I talked with a paleontologist who runs a museum in Salt Lake City Utah. They said it could be one of two things. It could either be parts of a large prehistoric bison or woolly mammoth or it could be Sandstone. They would like to take a very close look at it because the pictures were not able to tell them. My mother and father are going down to Salt Lake and the bones that I found will be examined by a paleontologist on Thursday. We will know then.

Jared

Upvote 0

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
It looks like fossil bone to me, but that is just a guess. I'm thinking if they were found on top of the ground in your yard, that they have been brought in from someplace else. I have stuff like that in my yard that I brought in from some place else.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread