Victorian Presentation Cane

SCdigger

Apr 6, 2003
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher F75/F70, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
[UPDATE]
Cap tested out at 10K...now, value? How to price it?

Scored this, what I believe to be, Victorian era presentation cane. Gold cap, ebony cane. Now the question is, is it gold plated, gold fill, 14K? Cap shows wear, but I don't see a base metal coming through. Does have slight dent damage on one side of the cap.

Anybody know anything much about canes?

Greg

Attachments

• cane1.jpg
    cane1.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 112
  • cane2.jpg
    cane2.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 107
  • cane3.jpg
    cane3.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 109
  • cane4.jpg
    cane4.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 135
  • cane5.jpg
    cane5.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Magnetic?

Gold can be applied over most any metal. Can the handle come off? Unscrew? Or is it glued/nailed in place? If it comes off, weigh it. If hollow (you said it was dented in a spot), then you'd have to do a little experimenting to find out exactly how much material is there, then get a weight on that amount. That will tell you if it's gold or not. But offhand, I wouldn't think it's just gold. Probably a heavy gold plate.

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
judging by the dents and color, it appears to be 10k gold, not plate. that really cool, especially if you could find out who the people are that are mentioned with the initials on the top.

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a cane top that's similar and it's gold filled. An acid test will give you some answers. A great find nonetheless!! I hope yours turns out to be gold. Well done!

walnuttree

Jul 23, 2015
Southern NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID, Whites Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the treasure magazines had an article where a guy found one in the water in New England, Cape Cod maybe. It was worth a couple thousand I believe, the gold part.

OP
OP
SCdigger

SCdigger

Apr 6, 2003
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher F75/F70, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for the feedback guys. Not magnetic. I need to get a gold test kit and test it.

GT

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread