(**Video**) BIG Gold! My Hands are Still Shaking!

KYshooter

Nov 28, 2009
Kentucky
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Whites MXT, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Would you believe a half-inch wedding band from the late 1800's?!!

Let's just start with the video ... :icon_thumright:
[youtube=425,350]RO0OVLllgCM[/youtube]
[size=10pt][size=10pt][size=13pt][size=10pt]
**Size Update - Ring weighed in at 14.1 grams, or 10.575 grams of pure gold ... .339994441295 Troy Ounces (just over 1/3 ounce).
**Melt value is $458.51 at the current spot price!
[/size][/size][/size][/size]

So, as usual, I made my way back to my old mineral springs hotel site yesterday afternoon. I only had three hours to hunt, but I wanted to get some dirtfishing time in because bad weather is moving in tonight.

I decided to hunt near the top of the hill where the building sat. I actually focused on an area slightly behind where the "later" part (built in 1885) stood. I worked near a small cluster of trees.

I had only been at it for about fifteen minutes when I got a solid, repeating VDI of 74 on my MXT. Looked like a solid penny, so I dug, expecting an old wheatie. I cut a nice, big plug ... and my head almost exploded when I saw this staring at me out of the bottom of the plug ...
Gold in Hole.png

Holy Shamoley! That's gold! And not just any gold. It's BIG Gold. Here's a shot fresh out of the dirt that I captured from the video.
Gold Fresh Out.png

It is so HEAVY! I mean, it's the biggest gold ring that I have ever, personally, seen. Just a little under a full half-inch in width ...
02.04.11 18k Gold Ring Ruler.jpg

Here it is in my lovely wife's hand ...
02.04.11 18k Gold Ring Kim.jpg

It is 18k, and bears the mark of, "Mermod & Jaccard Jewelry Co."
02.04.11 18k Gold Ring Makers Mark.jpg

I did some research on the mark, and found this information on a site describing some art deco silver pieces made by this company:
The "Mermod, Jaccard" mark is that of a company that was founded in St. Louis in 1829 by Louis Jacquard. He was joined by A.S. Mermod in 1845 and Goodman King in 1865, and the company became Mermod, Jaccard & King Jewelry Co.
So ... the company existed under the names of "Mermod & Jaccard" only between the years 1845 and 1865. That means this ring was manufactured just before or during the Civil War!!

The ring has a fancy script-inscribed name inside, but I cannot make it out due to what appears to be heat damage. Indeed, even if the ring were an inch or two deep in the ground when the building burned, it was close enough to incur some damage from the intense heat.

Needless to say, I am seriously stoked about this find. I hope to be able to find someone nearby with a scale tomorrow so I can get an accurate weight and calculate the exact gold content. I weighed it on a small scale at the hospital where I work a part-time job, and it totaled it at exactly 0.5 ounce, but I don't trust that measurement ... seems a wee bit hefty (but close!).

Honestly, I'm not sure if this ring will have more value in its gold, or in the fact that it is a 160 year-old antique. From that perspective, I'm not even sure how to get it checked out.

I also found some other whatzits and a 23mm flat button that had me thinking "half cent" for a while ... but only left me broken-hearted.
02.04.11 Finds.jpg

Thanks for looking, and enjoy the video. And give some thought to hitting up my Youtube channel and subscribing.

Blessings,

Geoff

Attachments

• Ring in the Field.jpg
    Ring in the Field.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 7,319
  • Flash Isolated.jpg
    Flash Isolated.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 6,838
  • Kim Hand Isolated.jpg
    Kim Hand Isolated.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 8,019
  • Barrell Isolated.jpg
    Barrell Isolated.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 7,362
Upvote 0
OP
OP
KYshooter

KYshooter

Nov 28, 2009
Kentucky
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
sirenahunter said:
Wow, Very nice!!!....18K!!! great one for the banner!!!

Thanks a bunch! Still hoping ... ::)

OP
OP
KYshooter

KYshooter

Nov 28, 2009
Kentucky
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
mosemeister said:
Great video and terrific finds!!!! That is one huge gold ring!!!! How exciting to see it!!!! It's amazing what lies buried in the ground. Thanks for sharing, Ky Shooter!

My pleasure! I love doing the videos. For sure, you never know what's down there until you dig! :)
I hope to add some more finds this week. Might even snag a couple of hours hunting tomorrow!

OP
OP
KYshooter

KYshooter

Nov 28, 2009
Kentucky
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
dscott67 said:
keep a hold on the Big Gold !!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: super nice ring !!

I have, indeed, decided to keep it. 1/3 ounce of pure gold in a single find was just too much for me to entertain the notion of selling. So, I have added it to my little gold stash. But with today's uncertainty and economic environment, I don't see how anyone could think about selling their gold these days. :dontknow:

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: (**Video**) BIG Gold! My Hands are Still Shaking! sensitive scales

Good Morning KYshooter,
On the internet at americanweigh.com you will find a nice selection of scales. Some have multiple readouts such as grams, troy oz., etc. and the prices are not bad and they offer calibration weights as well. So if one of the 'crack' scales does not make it your way you have an option.

Beautiful ring, great video and story - thank you for sharing! 63bkpkr

ps - below is a picture of gold nuggets I found last year, it is great fun to find gold of any kind as it is just a special metal (note-the half dollar is just there for size and a backdrop)

Attachments

• 185_8515.JPG
    185_8515.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 362
  • 185_8515.JPG
    185_8515.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 359

RICK IN KY

Apr 1, 2007
Awesome Find KY Shooter,Just Like the Lord,Ask for something and he gives you something better.
God Bless
Rick in KY

OP
OP
KYshooter

KYshooter

Nov 28, 2009
Kentucky
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: (**Video**) BIG Gold! My Hands are Still Shaking! sensitive scales

63bkpkr said:
Good Morning KYshooter,
On the internet at americanweigh.com you will find a nice selection of scales. Some have multiple readouts such as grams, troy oz., etc. and the prices are not bad and they offer calibration weights as well. So if one of the 'crack' scales does not make it your way you have an option.

Beautiful ring, great video and story - thank you for sharing! 63bkpkr

ps - below is a picture of gold nuggets I found last year, it is great fun to find gold of any kind as it is just a special metal (note-the half dollar is just there for size and a backdrop)

Awesome nugs! We don't have anything like that down here in the Bluegrass.

Lucky ....
lucky.jpg

tomharris76

Jan 11, 2009
Lake Stevens, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
WOW!!!! Big congrats on the honker! What part of Ky are you in? I have a lot of family that lives in Phelps. My grandfather is a preacher at his own church there. I love watching your videos, keep em coming!

Mississippi

Aug 22, 2005
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Minelab Safari, GPX 4800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Niceeeeeeeeeeeee ring. Looks big and heavy congratulation!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
KYshooter

KYshooter

Nov 28, 2009
Kentucky
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
tomharris76 said:
WOW!!!! Big congrats on the honker! What part of Ky are you in? I have a lot of family that lives in Phelps. My grandfather is a preacher at his own church there. I love watching your videos, keep em coming!

Cadiz ... western end of the state. Thanks for your "encouragement" on the videos. I do enjoy making them. I've been hampered lately by a couple of things ... bad weather and no decent finds. :) I'll have more vids posted as soon as I can. Be sure to swing by my YouTube channel and subscribe. :read2:

OP
OP
KYshooter

KYshooter

Nov 28, 2009
Kentucky
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mississippi said:
Niceeeeeeeeeeeee ring. Looks big and heavy congratulation!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks, man ... But my little old ring can't even pretend to touch that awesome VSS buckle combo you found! :hello2:

OP
OP
KYshooter

KYshooter

Nov 28, 2009
Kentucky
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
traverdog said:
That's a great gold ring!!! Congrats!!

Thanks, man. I think so. :thumbsup: Best I will ever hope to find, I think.

Troyounce

Nov 18, 2003
Clyde,Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
GP3000
TESORO LOBO
GARRETT GTI 2500 + Eagle eye
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow... what a great find!

OP
OP
KYshooter

KYshooter

Nov 28, 2009
Kentucky
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
riverrunner814 said:
Awesome find keep on that site may find more goodies :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright: 8)

I've been taking a break from it for a while, but I'll be hitting it again soon. Not a lot of real estate left that I haven't hit from a couple of different directions ... but I'm gonna hit it! :laughing7:

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes that is a nice :headbang: hunk of gold!!

TomB

Nov 16, 2007
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Metrotech 220 and Minelab X-Terra-70
KYshooter...after seeing your post I was reminded of a large gold ring I found several years ago in a confederate training camp (Camp Alum Springs) in southwest Virginia.

Though not as big as the one you found it measured 1/4" and is 18K gold. Because it has been damaged I can't tell the ring size, but as you can see it
take a large man to wear it.

I have never had it weighed and have no idea of it's value.

Very nice post and thanks for the reminder.

Attachments

• GOLD ring 015.jpg
    GOLD ring 015.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 248
  • GOLD ring 017.jpg
    GOLD ring 017.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 248
  • GOLD ring 019.jpg
    GOLD ring 019.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 258

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
WOW what a gorgeous ring! couldn't happen to a nicer guy! congrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread