Video comparing Minelabs Eureka Gold, Gold Bug 2 and Gold Bug Pro

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Video comparing Minelab's Eureka Gold, Gold Bug 2 and Gold Bug Pro

This video has me changing my mind about which machine to buy for
nugget shooting. I've heard from very good sources that the GB2 and GBP
are very close in performance, but that I would be giving up a small amount
of sensitivity to the smaller pieces of gold with the GBP.

This chap seems to have taken steps to be somewhat scientific in his
comparative testing, and based on his results the GB2 had much better
depth (at least on the air test) on picking up the gold samples. The difference
with the 40mg sample was substantial, with the GB2 picking it up at 5 CM
(nearly 2 inches), and the GBP could only pick that sample up at 2 CM.
A 3cm difference works out to about 1 3/16" of an inch deeper, and for
those little small pieces of gold the extra depth the GB2 was picking them up
at what is, essentially, twice as deep as the GBP.

Here's the video I watched, and would appreciate any thoughts as to inconsistencies
that might have skewed the results, etc. I really like the GB Pro, but don't
mind the manual ground balancing if it truly makes that much difference
in performance.

Mike

Upvote 0

Ausgoldhunter

Mar 2, 2013
Batemans Bay
Detector(s) used
Currently: White's GMT, Fisher Gold Bug 2. Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Fisher Gold Bug SE, Fisher F70, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab X-Terra 705, Minelab Eureka Gold, Whites GMZ, Minelab GP Extreme, GP 3000, Mine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
For my purpose, i'll be using the detector on dried up creek beds / washes.. bedrock is less than 4-5" down for the most part, very little overburden.. I'm pretty sure the gold but 2 - GB Pro will do the job just fine..
BUT as the gold in my area is small i feel like the gold bug 2 or pro would be my two best options..

BUT, then i think maybe i want to do some relic hunting, so the Pro would be the better option..

UPDATE: After reading http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting-gold/316402-minelab-eureka-gold-questions-should-i-buy.html#post2983120 this post, and seeing the AWESOME results trinityau got with his Gold Bug Pro My mind was made up

So i place my order for the Gold bug pro. Should arrive here in Aus in a week or so.. Gotta love America, cost 200$ less to order it overseas and have it shipped here..

Thanks again for all the info, And apologies to DizzyDigger!!! I somewhat hijacked your thread!.. I hope you got as much out of this thread as i did..

- Agh

GB Pro arrived Tuesday, I'm very happy with the machine so far, Haven't been out with it yet, but it picks up my test nuggets .14 .21 .27 .33 without a problem.. hell i tested it on some flakes and it even caught them..
as for the GB2.. Its better on the small stuff but you dont quite get the depth of the Pro. But as i said untested in the field.. I'll be taking my GP3000 and the 2 new VLF machines away at the end of the month.. will post again after the trip..

-Agh.

Not Sure

Mar 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tests are bogus.

You can't wave your hand in front of the coil when testing. The detector will see your hand and improve the results.

Toysandthings

Tenderfoot
May 1, 2013
Wollongong
Detector(s) used
Cscope 4pi. Goldbug DP, Bounty Hunter tracker IV, Pioneer 505, Mini Pulse.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol, I recently purchased the goldbug DP. Not happy. And yes, quite often it detects ur hand, have to brush off the dirt of ur hand. effects only noticed at 1cm. However in testing this detector, whilst is the best we have so far. On a 1g nugget, airtest 3.5inches, 2.3g nugget 5.5 inches. In mineralised ground, 2.3g nugget 3 inches, 4 inchs no signal. Even less when discrimination mode used. So somewhat perplexed. Tried a 15x12 sef coil for it as well. Less depth. Might have been better for larger nuggets but didnt test that. So really questionable. Can u open these up n supposedly tune them better or do i need an infinium or tdi pro or blow the wallet on a GPX?

Ausgoldhunter

Mar 2, 2013
Batemans Bay
Detector(s) used
Currently: White's GMT, Fisher Gold Bug 2. Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Fisher Gold Bug SE, Fisher F70, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab X-Terra 705, Minelab Eureka Gold, Whites GMZ, Minelab GP Extreme, GP 3000, Mine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
TDI pro or TDI SL will do the job, GPX is by far the best.. but yeah.. $$$

What i think a lot of people dont understand about these high Freq VLF machines is , they are small shallow target shooters.. you're not going to get that 1 gram nugget a foot down..
sadly Hype and bull!@#$ take over when it comes to the true story of how and were that nugget was found...

my GMT will hit 1 gram at 8 inches in the air no problem.. in hot ground? unlikely..

Last edited:

Toysandthings

Tenderfoot
May 1, 2013
Wollongong
Detector(s) used
Cscope 4pi. Goldbug DP, Bounty Hunter tracker IV, Pioneer 505, Mini Pulse.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How does ur infinium go, n have u used it with a 8" mono coil?

Ausgoldhunter

Mar 2, 2013
Batemans Bay
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The current Infinium i have is my 3rd... Its a good machine, LOVES the beach... and goes really well on the gold fields.. deep enough to catch the gold, but not very sensitive to smaller metallic objects... .5 of a gram is the best smallest nugget i ever found, with the 8" mono coil.

It lacks the features of the TDI and doesn't touch the GP or GPX machines.. but is a good starting point... however for my money the TDI SL or TDI Pro are the safer bets..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread