Video-Finally Got to Hunt and Hit a Silver Dime Grand Slam!!!

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENTLY USING: Minelab Go-Find 60, Nokta Fors CoRe, Macro Racer, Whites MXT All Pro, Fisher F19, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab CTX3030, XP Deus.
USED: Garrett ATX, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know it is been several months since I have been able to post anything. We are still in the process of moving and the internet service here is none at best. I haven't time to get out much and the hunts I have went on there was not much left. So I went back to my old way of hunting instead of hitting the large old two/three story homes built around the turn of the century, I am beginning to hunt pre1940 homes. These don't look that promising, but are in the older areas of town and have the original sidewalks.
I gained permission at a house that was built in 1948. I knew the landowner well and he was more than happy to let me detect a little. There wasn't much there but I found several wheats, a pocket knife, a no date barber dime, and a good for 5cents in trade token. It was a maverick(no town or affiliation). We discussed the other homes on the block that were all built about the same time and I started getting permissions. One spot in particular was a vacant lot in between 2 homes. They both appeared to be built in the 30's and 40's so I headed there. Immediately I found 3 wheats'(one a 1920) in the same hole. All told I found 16, ranging in years from 1909(VDB) to 1947.

msPw6.jpg

16 Wheat pennies 1909-1947
FUtvj.jpg

1909 VDB No S

The first silver of the day came as a 1947 D Roosevelt.
cooeP.jpg

'47 Rosy

I really expected to find several of these because of all the wheats that were coming out of the ground. Nothing, and I mean nothing prepared me for the next couple of finds...

I had grided the area closest to the road and was working up the west side that had a gravel drive the encircled the lot. A couple of planted bushes and lined the drive and I started going around them and the first couple of swings the tones were all over so I slowed down and bam! mid 12-40's. I was using the combined/ferrous coin setting to get the good clear tone, then switching to 50 tone/low trash to see what type of coin it was. This target was promising to be silver but... well...
KsHyB.jpg

1887 Seated Liberty Dime

I dug another wheat and got a lower 10-38,39. I wasn't thinking Indian Head but was certainly glad when he showed..
0KMSI.jpg

1881 Indian Head Cent... My oldest IH to ever...

I still was working around the bush when the very next target was a low 12-12, 12-11.
HaBST.jpg

1928 Buffalo Nickel

I moved around some more and dug more wheats, I kept coming back to the bush and this time a the silver was back to back... First was this 1943 Mercury Dime.
PNyH7.jpg

3rd Silver of the day 1943 Mercury Dime

Getting excited that I had gotten my first trifecta(sorta) with the CTX I wasn't expecting the 4th silver... and the Grand Slam...
MCXF0.jpg

1912 Barber and a Silver Grand Slam!

I was pretty much done but had a lot of daylight left and a few minutes left on the camera so I dug a few more wheats and got this really neat Modern Health Crusader Pin. I had found one of these before in this same town a few weeks earlier.
wyQOt.jpg

Modern Health Crusader 19-20 made for the National Tuberculosis Assn. NY by the Greenduck Co CHI.

I really can't call it a good coin hunt without finding at least one foreign coin and I wasn't disappointed lol.
npcHw.jpg

1900's Chinese Tai Ching Copper Coin
fRhrb.jpg

Chinese Coin Obverse

I was able to get all of these on film, and is posted on my YT channel. I hope you enjoy and will try to post more frequently, but until we get settled it will be difficult..
Thanks for reading
Evan
Gonehunting for History

Upvote 5

staydetuned

Aug 27, 2007
San Francisco, California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II
Awesome post!!! I Love the video; your excitement at finding those oldies really comes through! Well done hitting the less obvious spots - you were well rewarded :)

Keep up the good work, and most importantly - Welcome to the Grand Slam club!

strateloss

Aug 21, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030, E-TRAC, ProFind25, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great Hunt, great vid!!

OP
OP
Gonehunting

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENTLY USING: Minelab Go-Find 60, Nokta Fors CoRe, Macro Racer, Whites MXT All Pro, Fisher F19, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab CTX3030, XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks guys.. I appreciate it.. It was just nice to get out and hunt and find more than a few zinc's.. I am hunting in the town I grew up so there isn't a lot of spots that I have haven't hunted 5 or 6 times.. but switching to hunting the smaller homes that aren't as old is definitely working here too...
I left out the merc dime footage by accident, but I made a annotation on the vid that will take you to the uncut footage from that dig.. I joked about having a trifecta only to find another the very next find... thanks again for the view...

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
So did the maverick trade token say anything on it except the Good For 5¢ In Trade???
John in the Great 208

OP
OP
Gonehunting

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So did the maverick trade token say anything on it except the Good For 5¢ In Trade???
John in the Great 208
Here is a pic of the front and back...
LqIj7.jpg

y9vsS.jpg

It's not one that I have seen before...

OP
OP
Gonehunting

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks! Yep, your generic slot machine slug.
John in the Great 208
Thanks Sir.. it evidently not that common here.. I've don't think I have seen one quite like it.. thanks for the info..Evan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions