Tampa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT -
TEKNETICS EUROTEK PRO -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks I am very new to Google Earth, fact just installed it this past week LOL.. So this was very helpful :)

Dtektor

Jan 3, 2012
Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero w/ 9x8 & 5.75 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DiggItUp, Thanks for the video. I have been using this technique for some time now and I have a technical question you may be able to answer. I often make smaller "snips" of large old maps to reduce the amount of area covered. Often (most of the time actually) I have a problem with the image size and the Google Earth magnification being very different which makes it necesary for me to squish and squeeze the snipped image into the correct size/location. Is there an easier way to get the Google Earth satellite image and the image overlay file to be better matched?

OP
OP
DiggItUp

DiggItUp

Mar 9, 2013
DiggItUp, Thanks for the video. I have been using this technique for some time now and I have a technical question you may be able to answer. I often make smaller "snips" of large old maps to reduce the amount of area covered. Often (most of the time actually) I have a problem with the image size and the Google Earth magnification being very different which makes it necesary for me to squish and squeeze the snipped image into the correct size/location. Is there an easier way to get the Google Earth satellite image and the image overlay file to be better matched?

Unfortunately, there is no "easy" or "automatic" way to do this. You have to tweak around with it until you're satisfied it's accurate enough to use. On the plus side, not many people do this because they don't know how exactly or aren't skilled enough. People like us, however take advantage of this and find places that have never been hunted. Winter's the perfect time for it too.

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
when I close out and open back up again the image is replaced with a big red X...what have I done wrong?

OP
OP
DiggItUp

DiggItUp

Mar 9, 2013
when I close out and open back up again the image is replaced with a big red X...what have I done wrong?

No idea, that's really weird. Only thing I can think of (and most likely) is the image you used for the overlay was deleted. You have to keep the pic on your desktop and NOT DELETE IT.

Hope this helps.

songdog

May 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have to keep your image overlay file in the ORIGINAL FILE in which it was placed when you added it to Google Earth!
I learned this the hard way when I started to move some files around to better "organize" my maps and discovered the "big red X"!
So before you start a project, first create a folder that you want to store your maps in and where they will NEVER be moved or deleted!
You will then be good to go!
I hope this helps, and have a good dig!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread