Video - So much Massive Pyrite!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 0

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Upvote 0

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Beautiful pyrite - Thanks for sharing great video!

Upvote 0

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice video, thanks for sharing your finds. :thumbsup:

The country rock is shale, not banded iron. Banded iron is interleaved iron with quartz - usually in the form of brightly colored chert.

The pyrite discs are known as "pyrite suns" and they are very common in shale associated with coal deposits. Pyrite suns can be found in other types of rock too.

The Bitumin you demonstrated is a form of coal. Actual Bitumin is oily and sticky like used motor oil or black gummy glue. It's commonly called asphalt in the United States. What you are showing is Bituminous coal, somewhat related to Bitumin but much harder with a much higher store of energy. The tree branch looking thing was probably a carbonized tree branch. Coal consists of compressed and carbonized plant material and it's common to find recognizable plant shapes embedded in the coal.

The pyrite was removed from the mined coal to keep the high sulfur pyrite from lowering the grade of coal. Pyrite is Iron sulfide (FeS[SUP]2[/SUP]). In the coal industry sulfur is a bad thing so the pyrite is left as mine waste after the coal has been extracted.

Keep exploring and sharing. I look forward to viewing your next video!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hay Barry...I appreciate the explanation. I thought the rock looked like shale. I always enjoy learning things. This directly applies to a place I've been working near the Utah border.
Jim

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quite a few variations of pyrites there. Good stuff.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread