Vietnam Veterans Moving Wall

Mekong Mike

Jul 22, 2013
Vietnam, Saigon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In 2009 i went up to DaNang to visit with a friend and stay on her family farm during TET Holiday. While there, she took me out into the rice fields and forests for a hike. She pointed out some places where bombs had hit and now are holes filled with water and catfish. Another place was a mound of earth about 1 meter high and ten meters across covered with bushes and scrub. She asked me if i knew what that was. I had no idea, and she told me there had been a battle between american soldiers and north vietnamese army. The bodies of dead viets and americans were just laying around and after 2 days the villagers gathered them all together and buried them on this spot. I talked with her grandmother who verified the story. She said they didn't want dead bodies laying around and were afraid of any soldiers coming back so they buried them. She said helicopters with search lights sometimes looked around at night but nobody actually came in to ask about them. The only way into that area is by motorcycle...even now. The village where this occured is about 25 kilometers from DaNang City.

I didn't sleep well that night, just thinking about those soldiers, enemy combatants in life, all buried together in death.

Attachments

• tank.jpg
    tank.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Mike,
I hope you have already (or are in the process of) alerting the proper authorities about this story. To have the remains returned to the States and ID-ed will bring closure to the next of kin and to those of us who had a part in that war.
Reducing the number of MIAs will provide continued incentive to keep researching and locating similar grave sites. Don.....
images

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread