Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you have two shirt buttonsi

What you have are two shirt buttons of a broken tuxedo set, "not silver" and may be from as late as the 1980s. They would come with generally 2 cufflinks and 3 shirt buttons in the set. Keep your eye on the cufflinks. I sold a pair of 18k marked with french hallmarks for over $600.00, I paid $35.00 for the pair. This set in the picture I'll show you, I got some time back in a thrift store. The name Tourneau Corner is a New York store that retails highend watches, jewelry up to thousands of dollars. That was my first tip that I need to see those ther cufflinks in the case please. My suspicion of what they could be made of was right on cue. This set is a total of 20 grams of 14K gold. I paid $8.00 for the set. Look for Cufflinks from Scandinavia such as Georg Jensen, David Andersen and others marked Denmark, Sweden, Finland. They are all mostly silver and collectors love them. Carry always a jewelers loop, gold marks are found in odd places on cufflinks and people don't often think cufflinks are made of real gold and silver and many are. I found 2 pairs in one thift store of the old style cufflink button types that were both 14K with a total of 12 grams of gold for 6bucks a pair. Stay away from gold plated Swanks and Ansons they don't sell, unless they are a theme like Texaco, International Harvester, Auto,Tractor and other Logo related cuffs that employees got as gifts from the companies they worked at. Almost all Mexican Cuffs are sterling and handmade, They sell Oka

Keep looking!
Grant

Attachments

• gold cufflinks.jpg
    gold cufflinks.jpg
    445 KB · Views: 121

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stay away from gold plated Swanks and Ansons they don't sell, unless they are a theme like Texaco, International Harvester, Auto,Tractor and other Logo related cuffs that employees got as gifts from the companies they worked at.

Made this mistake. Got a pair of swank cufflinks in their original box from some 60's department store for a quarter. Thought I had done well, but then learned swank was junk. The only thing that saved me was that they were masonic, and someone ended up buying them for $20. Learned my lesson though.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Made this mistake. Got a pair of swank cufflinks in their original box from some 60's department store for a quarter. Thought I had done well, but then learned swank was junk. The only thing that saved me was that they were masonic, and someone ended up buying them for $20. Learned my lesson though.

I would take a chance on almost anything at a quarter. Something about them must have attracted you? Typically stuff like that is worth at least a buck at the flea market. WORST case scenario, you lose a quarter and you can still donate such junk to the thrift store.

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would take a chance on almost anything at a quarter. Something about them must have attracted you? Typically stuff like that is worth at least a buck at the flea market. WORST case scenario, you lose a quarter and you can still donate such junk to the thrift store.

True, I wasn't really losing anything financially. It's just a bummer when you buy something, only to find that it's junk.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread