Vintage Cast Iron Holloware

B1GG_NATE

Greenie
Mar 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am in the position to purchase some older cast iron pieces and was wondering if anyone could help me place an approximate value on some pieces.

The skillets I can buy are from a company called W J Loth Stove Company and the last skillet to sell on ebay was listed as a Buy it Now or Best Offer for $395. Here is the link:

Very RARE w J Loth Stove Co Virginia Metalcrafters Cast Iron Frying Pan 8 | eBay

Here is another piece from the same maker.

Vintage w J Loth Stove Co Waynesborg Virginia Cast Iron Basting Cover 8 | eBay

Does anyone know if those just happened to be valuable pieces or does the entire brand command a premium?

Looking into the company, they apparently became Virginia Metalcrafters (casting brass), and spun off their stove business which became Hotpoint in the 1920's.

Any help would be appreciated.

mjlalt

Jul 18, 2012
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The best offer was $175.00 on that skillet so it didn't sell for the full $395. I can't offer any more help than that.
My knowledge on cast iron is very limited.

Daddio53

Apr 5, 2008
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, Tesoro Lobo, Tesoro Golden microMax
I've been a seller on eBay since 1999. The truth of the matter is, it's worth what somebody will pay for it. I sold small gold nuggets which were only worth about $10-15 back when gold was $240 an ounce. I had people bidding as high as $57.00 for the gold even though it was only worth $10-15. Some people go sky high because they don't like to lose, and they see every auction as a contest. So the skillets may indeed be valuable due to being scarce, or they may have been listed as Buy it Now for $375 because the seller was unscrupulous. The best way to decide if you should buy should always be based upon one thing over everything else. Do you really "need" it, and once you've bought it, will you "use" it? There are a lot of auction buyers who have a pile of stuff they thought they really wanted, only to put it in the pile of "stuff I won at auction" and then never use it. (I am guilty of that myself.)

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
of "stuff I won at auction" and then never use it. (I am guilty of that myself.)[/QUOTE said:
Feel free to review my auctions anytime.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The best way to decide if you should buy should always be based upon one thing over everything else. Do you really "need" it, and once you've bought it, will you "use" it? There are a lot of auction buyers who have a pile of stuff they thought they really wanted, only to put it in the pile of "stuff I won at auction" and then never use it. (I am guilty of that myself.)
As a part time seller of secondhand goods, if I lived by this creed I'd never purchase a thing. I don't really want, need or use most things I buy. My main objective is to buy as low as possible and sell it for profit at a later date. If I can buy 10 items and have 1 of those items pay for the entire lot then that "pile of stuff" is all profit.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread