Vintage Dorian Gray (no date)

tjdean01

Greenie
Aug 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this today and I can't identify it because it has no date. The title page of mine says the following:

THE PICTURE
OF
DORIAN GRAY

BY

Oscar Wilde

ILLUSTRATED BY
LUI TRUGO

DE LUXE EDITIONS CLUB
GARDEN CITY, NEW YORK​

and on the back of that all it says is "PRINTED IN THE UNITED STATES AT THE COUNTRY LIFE PRESS, GARDEN CITY, N.Y."

Anyone have any ideas of the year? Thanks!

(spine and cover of my book EXACTLY like this)
doriangrey.jpg

(Note that the below image has slightly different text on the bottom than does mine)
doriangrey2.jpg

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ramitt

Jul 24, 2007
here is a little info on the publisher, found in a link about a different book.
This book was published by the De Luxe Editions Club, Garden City, New York. The reverse side of the title page reads: “Printed in the United States, At the Country Life Press, N.Y.” There is no date indicated. Country Life Press was connected with Doubleday Publishing Company, and the De Luxe Editions Club specialized in reprints of Doubleday's Books in a more economical version for the general reading public. Many of these books were sold for as little as $1.00 each, making great works of classical literature available and affordable for most people
Vintage Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam Book Garden by VeejaysVintage

Upvote 0

TxMike

Mar 6, 2005
Columbus, Tx
Detector(s) used
White's
Fisher
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Ah, poor old Oscar......a few of his better quotes:

I always pass on good advice. It is the only thing to do with it. It is never of any use to oneself.

In America the young are always ready to give to those who are older than themselves the full benefits of their inexperience.
A man's face is his autobiography. A woman's face is her work of fiction.

The old believe everything, the middle-aged suspect everything, the young know everything.

When a woman marries again it is because she detested her first husband. When a man marries again, it is because he adored his first wife. Women try their luck; men risk theirs.

Moderation is a fatal thing... Nothing succeeds like excess.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions