Vintage Leech Knife Eagle Head?

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picked this up today at an auction. Anyone got any info on it? IMG_7115.JPG IMG_7116.JPG IMG_7117.JPG IMG_7118.JPG IMG_7119.JPG

SDIceMan

Nov 12, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ll venture a guess and say its a confederate Bowie knife, based on the Thomas Leech & Co. maker’s mark.

Thomas Leech was a cotton broker in Memphis TN prior to the Civil War. With the advent of hostilities, Leech began the sale of military cutlery, brass castings, Cavalry sabers, infantry and artillery swords and Bowie knives under the firm name of Thomas Leech & Company. Leech expanded his offering of military related products with the addition of Charles H. Rigdon to the firm, at which time the firm name was changed to Memphis Novelty Works.

I’d be thrilled to see that knife cross the auction block in my sleepy town. Congrats on a great find.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the comments guys. Blade is 6 3/4 inches, knife itself is 12 inches long from tip to top of eagle's head.

Any idea of a value on it?

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Modern fantasy item, or a fake, whichever one likes to call these. It is not old, just made to look that way. Assembled from incongruous parts. That is not a real Leech stamp, it was made with individual stamps the real ones have all letters in one stamp. I hope you didn't pay much, it isn't a pretty sight to a knife collector and holds no historical value at all. NEVER buy a supposed antique knife where the maker's mark is stamped in with individual letter stamps. By the way, I am a life member of the Northeast Cutlery Collectors Association and have been studying and collecting antique knives for over fifty years.

OP
OP
B

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't pay much for it, so I'm not really worried about it, but I think that you would have a different opinion if you held it in your hand. These pics definitely make it look like a fake, I realized that this morning after I viewed the thread again. It has a much different, more authentic look in your hand, but there are things about it, like you say, that make it suspect.

What time period are you referring to when you say modern?

OP
OP
B

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Modern fantasy item, or a fake, whichever one likes to call these. It is not old, just made to look that way. Assembled from incongruous parts. That is not a real Leech stamp, it was made with individual stamps the real ones have all letters in one stamp. I hope you didn't pay much, it isn't a pretty sight to a knife collector and holds no historical value at all. NEVER buy a supposed antique knife where the maker's mark is stamped in with individual letter stamps. By the way, I am a life member of the Northeast Cutlery Collectors Association and have been studying and collecting antique knives for over fifty years.

Also, what does the lettering on the handle supposed to mean? It says C9A or something to that effect.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't pay much for it, so I'm not really worried about it, but I think that you would have a different opinion if you held it in your hand. These pics definitely make it look like a fake, I realized that this morning after I viewed the thread again. It has a much different, more authentic look in your hand, but there are things about it, like you say, that make it suspect.

What time period are you referring to when you say modern?

I'm sorry, it is not just suspect, it is a really poor attempt to fake a Confederate knife. No doubt about it. Probably made in the last 20 years or less. There are many, many more fake Confederate knives for sale than real ones, many are much better looking than that one but still fake. Again, NEVER buy any antique knife which has the maker's name stamped in with individual letter stamps, none are real, ALL companies had quality maker's name stamps since well before the American Revolution. STAY away from buying any knives with Confederate association unless you really know your stuff. Even a novice collector who at least has studied them in books would spot the OP knife as bad, but there are a lot more sophisticated fakes out there.

OP
OP
B

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I appreciate you weighing in. I definitely disagree with you about the knife being made in the last 20 years. Partially because of the estate that it was included in. I could see it being an older fake, but not one that recent.

Honestly, I didn't even think anything about it being civil war related when I bought it. It just went cheap and looked cool, so I bought it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions