Mar 29, 2010
Lee county georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett 2500 GTI, Garrett AT Pro & AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vintage 'Odd Fellows' medalllion?? Please help identifying

m1.JPG M2.JPG M3.JPG M4.JPG
I had an enjoyable time yesterday hunting with GaRebel1861 at an old home site and dug this little guy up. Did a bit of research and I think it's an 'Odd Fellows' medallion of some sort. On the back is engraved THE WHITEHEAD HOAG CO., Newark N.J. On the front top are the initials G.U.O. of O.F. Now I see all sorts of stuff on here like an Eyeball, Noah's ark, sun, moon, stars and Latin "Amicitia Amor Et Veritas"....my question is "what the heck is this"?? What kind of date is this?? and Why am I finding it? By the way I am here in south georgia. Any help will be greatly appreciated....

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
Hmm, I think that's pretty cool. I was unaware of this division of the Odd Fellows. The Grand United Order of O.F. was set up for black members in 1843: Odd Fellows (GUO of OF) | The Virtual Museum of Fezology
Whitehead & Hoag operated from the 1890's-1950's, so it would date somewhere in there. I've yet to find a match for it though, as there's a whole lot less of their medals out there, compared to the I.O.O.F. Odd Fellows pieces.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
wayfas4u

wayfas4u

Mar 29, 2010
Lee county georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett 2500 GTI, Garrett AT Pro & AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the tip nhbenz! It is indeed a neat find, I'm still searching for a match....

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread