Vintage Sterling Pin

PlzBSeated

Mar 8, 2014
SW Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter, Whites Spectrum XLT, Whites MXT, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Light day as far as coins are concerned. But the odd items kept me interested.

Pin 082723.jpg Pin back 082723.jpg

Nice little pin. Sorry the pictures are so dark. I was having trouble with glare. The back mark makes me believe this is of English origin.

D Buckle 082723.jpg D Buckle Back 082723.jpg

Nice little D buckle, or should I say buckle with a D? Patent date of 5-24-10.

Badge 082723.jpg

You folks just educated me on these "badges" earlier in the week. And I went out and found another...45 miles from the other. This one says Ruben Happy & Pickledan 1905. Not sure what it means, but I don't think 1905 is the date of the printing. Maybe an anniversary or birthdate?

Lead Figure 082723.jpg

Not sure what to make of this guy, but he looks menacing. Reminds me of Creature from the Black Lagoon. Made of lead. No maker's mark.

Token 082723.jpg

Found an identical token about a month ago. Still no idea what it was used for.

Tag 082723.jpg

Not sure. Thinking maybe a telephone pole identification tag.

Finds 082723.jpg

Today's finds...

Vintage Sterling Pin (English?)
Vintage Buckle with a D
Aluminum Badge
Lead Figure
Token for 1 cent in trade
Tag (Telephone pole ID?)
(2) Wheatback pennies...1912?, 1926

PBS

Upvote 14

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
I love hunts like that. I’ve seen a lot of coins, but that little lead guy is rare in my world. Id rather find him any day.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool finds.

The buckle seems to be a variation on the patent granted to Leopold Hauser of Manhattan, NYC on 24 May 1910 and jointly assigned to Simon Weil. They seem to have been in partnership since there is at least one other (non-buckle) patent jointly assigned.

Hauser.jpg Hauser2.jpg

I’m sure the pin (tie-pin?) is not English. Those are not English hallmarks, and it would be highly unusual for English silver to also carry the word “Sterling” alongside a hallmark. The hallmark itself is the recognised guarantee for the Sterling standard, without the need to also add that word. The marks look to be pseudo-hallmarks inspired by English hallmarks and intended to add gravitas. Almost certainly American. There looks to be a lion (but not an English Sterling lion) as the last of the three marks, but I can’t make out the others from your picture.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The lead figure is from the Buck Rogers 25th Century Midget Caster set produced by Rapaport Bros. of Chicago in the mid 1930s.

Buck Rogers.jpg

The three shown above are Buck Rogers, Dr. Huer and Depth Man. Yours is the middle one… Dr. Elias Huer, leader of the Earth Defence Directorate.

OP
OP
PlzBSeated

PlzBSeated

Mar 8, 2014
SW Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter, Whites Spectrum XLT, Whites MXT, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool finds.

The buckle seems to be a variation on the patent granted to Leopold Hauser of Manhattan, NYC on 24 May 1910 and jointly assigned to Simon Weil. They seem to have been in partnership since there is at least one other (non-buckle) patent jointly assigned.

View attachment 2101985 View attachment 2101986

I’m sure the pin (tie-pin?) is not English. Those are not English hallmarks, and it would be highly unusual for English silver to also carry the word “Sterling” alongside a hallmark. The hallmark itself is the recognised guarantee for the Sterling standard, without the need to also add that word. The marks look to be pseudo-hallmarks inspired by English hallmarks and intended to add gravitas. Almost certainly American. There looks to be a lion (but not an English Sterling lion) as the last of the three marks, but I can’t make out the others from your picture.
Thanks for the info.

PBS

OP
OP
PlzBSeated

PlzBSeated

Mar 8, 2014
SW Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The lead figure is from the Buck Rogers 25th Century Midget Caster set produced by Rapaport Bros. of Chicago in the mid 1930s.

View attachment 2101991

The three shown above are Buck Rogers, Dr. Huer and Depth Man. Yours is the middle one… Dr. Elias Huer, leader of the Earth Defence Directorate.
Dude! You are just a wealth of information.

PBS

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dude! You are just a wealth of information.

PBS

You're welcome.

Looking a little more, it looks like there is some mislabelling of the three characters from the Buck Rogers set by various sellers on the net. I now believe the middle one (yours) is actually the Depth Man (from Neptune) carrying a force ray projector staff; and Dr Huer is the figure at the far right.

Reportedly these were first launched for the Christmas season of 1934, both as a casting kit that could produce the three figures from a single mould and also as individual factory pre-cast figures at a dollar each.

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
You're welcome.

Looking a little more, it looks like there is some mislabelling of the three characters from the Buck Rogers set by various sellers on the net. I now believe the middle one (yours) is actually the Depth Man (from Neptune) carrying a force ray projector staff; and Dr Huer is the figure at the far right.

Reportedly these were first launched for the Christmas season of 1934, both as a casting kit that could produce the three figures from a single mould and also as individual factory pre-cast figures at a dollar each.
Pretty expensive toy vs wages at that time.

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

View attachment 2101942 View attachment 2101943

Nice little pin. Sorry the pictures are so dark. I was having trouble with glare. The back mark makes me believe this is of English origin.

View attachment 2101944 View attachment 2101945

View attachment 2101946

You folks just educated me on these "badges" earlier in the week. And I went out and found another...45 miles from the other. This one says Ruben Happy & Pickledan 1905. Not sure what it means, but I don't think 1905 is the date of the printing. Maybe an anniversary or birthdate?

View attachment 2101947

Not sure what to make of this guy, but he looks menacing. Reminds me of Creature from the Black Lagoon. Made of lead. No maker's mark.

View attachment 2101948

View attachment 2101949

View attachment 2101950

Today's finds...

Vintage Buckle with a D
Aluminum Badge
Lead Figure
Tag (Telephone pole ID?)

PBS
Very nice dig! Congratulations

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 2101942 View attachment 2101943

View attachment 2101944 View attachment 2101945

View attachment 2101946

View attachment 2101947

View attachment 2101948

View attachment 2101949

View attachment 2101950

Today's finds...

Vintage Buckle with a D
Aluminum Badge
Lead Figure
Tag (Telephone pole ID?)

PBS
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions