Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They don't make them like that anymore!. Entrance to a local ranch on the Chetco river.

DSCN8497.JPG

DSCN8499.JPG

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just think of how proud that young farmer was when he first put it to use. I think the first one was a mid-30s John Deere D, and the other one was a pre 30s McCormick-Deering.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
those old tractors, sure had some character to them.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Love that old Poppin Johnny, seems to me they worked miracles with a flywheel and one cylinder. All I can say is they were real men, and tough as H, I've spent hours on tractor seats
that are much more comfortable that those machines, and I was still wore out.

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now you've got me to wondering what happened to those old tractors I saw in a building when I was living back in Texas. Another man and I were riding around one day and he mentioned something about old tractors. I told him about some that were about 5 or 6 miles from where I lived. He wanted to go see them; so we did.
When got there, we got out of the car and was looking at one; don't remember what kind. Might have been an old Farmall. A man drove up that ran a little convenience store about a quarter mile from the tractors. Turned out he was the owner of the tractors. He took us inside the building and showed us some huge steam tractors. One had come from England; if I remember correctly what he told us. He and another man who worked for him, were slowly working to restore them. He had several that ran on steam in the building.
He died a year or so ago. I wonder what happened to all of those tractors!

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With your permission Oregon Viking, and since old tractors are the subject. An elder relative of mine bought an Atlman-Taylor back in the 1920s. He bought it in Minnesota and had it shipped to Montana by the railroad (Great Northern). He drove it 40 miles from the depot to his farm and used it for many years. And when he passed away it was auctioned off and donated to a museum back in Minnesota. It was transported back 40 miles to the same depot and loaded on a flat-car back to the same town in Minnesota that he bought it.

IMG_0650.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Oregon Viking

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With your permission Oregon Viking, and since old tractors are the subject. An elder relative of mine bought an Atlman-Taylor back in the 1920s. He bought it in Minnesota and had it shipped to Montana by the railroad (Great Northern). He drove it 40 miles from the depot to his farm and used it for many years. And when he passed away it was auctioned off and donated to a museum back in Minnesota. It was transported back 40 miles to the same depot and loaded on a flat-car back to the same town in Minnesota that he bought it.

View attachment 1151805

No problem sir. Very cool! I like that a lot.
The local Car Quest owner restores tractors, mostly small tractors... I will attempt to get a few pictures.

Bullet:Mich.

Mar 20, 2003
Michigan USA
A lot of the old steel wheel gas tractors are still in use hidden in Amish Barns, they use them for a power supply off their big pulley with a long belt. Parts can still be bought for them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread