Violin and Omega

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
Stopped by the G*Will store closest to my job and they had a couple jars of jewelry and a violin. One of the jars ($30) had an old watch that was squeezed in tight. Upon closer inspection, I could read Omega! I immediately bought the jar and then noticed an old violin coffin case. It was a rather beat up violin but the label read "Elmer Mullinex 1875". So I bought it. The only other reference to A violin by Elmer was a Goodwill online auction with a similar case that sold for about $240.00.
Oh, the Omega is a 1960s Constellation! Looks great except the previous owner replaced the crown with a low budget one, but overall a great watch. I think this is the third or fourth Omega from G*Will this year! And from a different store as well! ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1501716967.242658.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1501716988.326945.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1501717034.485343.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1501717089.974199.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1501717108.778955.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1501717122.461903.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1501717139.354295.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1501717162.389211.jpg

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seriously! Stop hoarding the Omega's. Seriously!

OP
OP
D

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh, I forgot! There was a non working Tiffany & Co watch in the jar too. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1501723931.559823.jpg

The_Piratess

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2017
Ghost Ship
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID, so far...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, I forgot! There was a non working Tiffany & Co watch in the jar too. View attachment 1479023

What how could you have possibly forgotten about a Tiffany watch running or not? :o I think that you definitely find the BEST buys at Thrift Stores hands down! Plus you have a great attitude towards others' finds and that speaks volumes in and of itself! Super great finds!!! :icon_thumright: You can find the exact replacement winder for that Omega on eBay too.

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome! What did the violin set you back?

walnuttree

Jul 23, 2015
Southern NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID, Whites Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. I love thrift stores, they're my rainy day or hot day treasure hunts.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible. An Omega pie pan found in a thrift store. What's the movement look like in that Tiffany watch?

OP
OP
D

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
What how could you have possibly forgotten about a Tiffany watch running or not? :o I think that you definitely find the BEST buys at Thrift Stores hands down! Plus you have a great attitude towards others' finds and that speaks volumes in and of itself! Super great finds!!! :icon_thumright: You can find the exact replacement winder for that Omega on eBay too.

Thanks! I've learned so much from TNet folks and everyone is happy for each other's finds. I'll be looking for that winder on eBay. I'm wearing the watch today to see if it keeps time well.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good quality jeweled quartz movement. Great little score.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh...maybe it just needs a battery! LOL
View attachment 1479106 View attachment 1479107

You might need to reset it (clear the circuit) after you replace the battery if it does not run. See below.

Digital Quartz Watches
In many quartz watches, mainly digital or a combination of analog and digital, the electronic circuit must be cleared before the battery is changed. This provision is called an AC - or all-clear - circuit. This is typically a small silver or gold-colored dot marked AC on the back of the movement.

To clear the circuit before changing the battery, use metal tweezers. Place one point of the tweezers on the dot and the other on the positive (+) side of the battery. Or push a spring tab onto the AC dot with a tweezer tip or probe. In either case, the watch display will likely become blank and be ready for a battery change. On some models, the display may remain, but the watch cannot be reset until the AC is cleared.

The_Piratess

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2017
Ghost Ship
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID, so far...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now you guys got me started... Today I went to EVERY GW store near me and not one of them sell watches, jewelry or even costume jewelry! I asked them why they didn't because other ones do? They said that too many people steal them so they sell all of theirs online in bidding style auctions like eBay! Seriously how are people stealing watches and jewelry when they are usually kept in locked, glass, display cases at the counter? Aren't the clerks watching the customers when they pull things out for them? I think they are just really doing it to get more money like the web page states... :BangHead:

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
You are right...they are just going for more and more profit! Luckily my local GW stores do both. They send some what they consider "good" jewelry to auction online and sell the rest in stores. The regional managers know they have a lot of jewelry buyers, so they at least let each store manager decide what they do with jewelry and watches. I now call the store GW because JimDon pointed out that these threads could come up in searches and I didn't need GW reading this and grabbing up all of the good watches!

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the nice finds! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread