Virgin cellar yields KGII, 14 buttons and a derringer pistol!

Coilcrazy2

Nov 9, 2010
Reading, pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, gray ghost headphones,
Fisher 1265x,
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Tesoro cibola,
Tesoro Outlaw
Hey everyone,
I decided to venture deep into the woods today to check out a site that I located on google earth. It was not documented on any of the early maps but on the aerial shot I could see a disturbance in the tree canopy along a stream. I figured I'd go see what this was all about and I'm glad I did! It was about a 2 mile hike but as soon I got there I got the KGII and knew I was on an old site. After that the buttons started popping up and then I got a sweet signal on the T2 and pulled out the derringer! I thought it was a toy cannon at first. I brushed it off and noticed it has a makers mark that says " E L G". I don't know much about pistols or guns in general so any info on that would be appreciated. I also discovered that it has some paper packing still in the barrel? The other relics consisted of: A cool little pewter plate with a star? An almost complete pewter spoon, the inside of a shoe buckle, a stirrup and some other odds and ends. The KG looked much better when I first dig than it does now but I guess that's just the nature of these coppers.
Thanks!
CC
** Heres another one of the same pistols that was found by a tnet member. Looks like this might be the newest thing I pulled from this cellar hole.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/161832-gun-maybe.html

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    523.8 KB · Views: 213
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    571.1 KB · Views: 212
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    508.1 KB · Views: 229
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    571.7 KB · Views: 196
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    467.3 KB · Views: 198
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    455.1 KB · Views: 197
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    491.4 KB · Views: 193
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    488 KB · Views: 227
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    522.6 KB · Views: 195
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    455.3 KB · Views: 196
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    444.5 KB · Views: 210
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    529.1 KB · Views: 198
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    959.6 KB · Views: 187
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    600.5 KB · Views: 184
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    558.1 KB · Views: 199
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    592.2 KB · Views: 182
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    552.7 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
Upvote 35
OP
OP
Coilcrazy2

Coilcrazy2

Nov 9, 2010
Reading, pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, gray ghost headphones,
Fisher 1265x,
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Tesoro cibola,
Tesoro Outlaw
Just wondering why it would be strange at a colonial site....because you found the site not by written history, nor spotted it on a old dated topo?

I'm finding some early sites here, and I seem to be obsessed with learning when each one was first occupied, and when it was abandoned. But without written history, I doubt I could determine anything close by only using the relics or coins. (there always seems to be a spread of more than 100 years by looking at the artifacts)

At any rate, that was a stellar hunt (and detective work) and I bet you were flipping out when all the non ferrous popped up so quick! Like, wow, I'm the first guy here! (that's a big thrill for me)
Thanks! Yeah the site is not on any of the 1850's or 1860's maps that I have seen but you're right...there no saying how long it was actually standing without hard evidence. If an old map says it was there, than it was there but if a map doesn't say it was there...it doesn't necessarily mean it wasn't there.

CTwoods

Dec 9, 2015
east central Connecticut
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If an old map says it was there, than it was there but if a map doesn't say it was there...it doesn't necessarily mean it wasn't there.

I recently figured that out! .. I was finding some late 1800s stuff at both of two cellars that do show on the commercial 1859 atlas map, but the "official" USGS 1890 one says only one remained... THEY MISSED it!

I was finally able to prove to myself that could happen, on my friends family colonial farmsite. Same error, the atlas 1869 shows only two homes on the entire road. But USGS 1890 does not show my friends place, nor any USGS maps all the way up! I have no idea how USGS could miss a huge saltbox, right next to the road, huge barn, many outbuildings. The one they did show was a small home on one end of the road. The big place is 1/2 way on the road, so I know which is which.

Sorry to repeat myself, but boy what a rush when you find a new site... and right of the bat, you are digging huge hitting non-ferrous targets all around where everyone would certainly do first! You get proof it's unhunted..... My head gets me rushing around all over, knowing there must be stuff everywhere.

richeysd76

Oct 28, 2013
spotsylvania
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, Garrett at pro, fisher f4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That looks like the 1 I found back in Nov. Except yours looks alot nicer. Congrats 20151127_155117.jpg

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You win! Saw this right before you posted it. Looks like mine is post 1846 to pre 1870 like this one. Strange for a colonial site but ill take it!

Great work on finding a great site, I found one of these boot pistol's also. To me there is nothing strange about finding younger stuff at a colonial site. It all depends on when it was last occupied before it ended up being overgrown?

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent hunt.
Congrats on being "FIRST"
I know that one of your future hunts at that site will include a sifter.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heck of a hunt buddy. That's a great looking pistol. Some nice buttons as well. I love those sites that our intuition leads us too. Some of my best have been that way

maccounty

Jan 7, 2016
SwMissouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Minelab go find 60 Garrett pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool pistol! Pound that site!

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I somehow just found this thread, but cool enough to reply to even though it is old. I would actually vote this as a banner! As a gun like that is at the top of mine and most people's bucket list. :)

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is soo cool! I would love to find a gun like that...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread