Virgin detetor and confused

BLK

Mar 5, 2015
Northern New York State
Detector(s) used
Harbour freight cheapo. Trying and expermenting to see if I like it and then want to go Garrett or Fisher.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok, I have read all the posts about Garrett and Fisher. Can someone just put this in perspective. This is what I mean.
In the order of worst vs. best just list the model of Garrett in order and the same for Fisher. For example: is a 350 better than a 250? Is a 150 better than a 350? Is a Gold digger better than a metal minder. I am sending out a little bs here but it is very hard to try to buy one when you do not know the difference. So here it is: SHOULD I PAY MOR FOR A 350 GARRETT OR A PAY MORE FOR A 250? I WOULD LIKE TO BUY THE BEST ONE FOR LAND AND GROUND DETECTING AVAILABLE BUT I AM GETTING TOTALLY CONFUSED. HELP!! Sorry for the shouting but I have already bought a cheapo a now want a intermediate. So what to hell?

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are you a chevy or a ford guy? Both Garrett and Fisher make good detectors, mostly depends on your budget and what you want to find while dirt fishing. I have bought my last 2 detectors used. Both came with DD coils. DD coils are my preference over concentric. I loved the F4 and now enjoy the F75 LTD SE. The Garrett 150 is the lower end, as you progress in numbers you get more bells and whistles. From what I see when it comes to Garrett users on Tnet, I see most MDr's use the 250, or AT Pro. I watched many hours of videos on line, did comparisons using the Kellyco site. I'd go for the best that I could afford. Buying new has the benefit of a warranty.

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2 and Makro Kruzer
Garrett Carrot pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love my Garret 250 but I have nothing to compare it to. It's a beginner friendly machine, and it has a lot of features found in more expensive detectors like a built in pinpointer and notch discrimination. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that the 350 is the same except it comes with a DD coil. Still, you can always get a DD coil for the 250. You can find the 250 for $212.00. Look around cause some places offer better free stuff with your purchase than others. I know one place that throws in a Lesche digger.

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
...OK...this is what my local dealer told me....the 250 is more for Coin Hunting while the 350 is more for Relic Hunting.

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
...OK...this is what my local dealer told me....the 250 is more for Coin Hunting while the 350 is more for Relic Hunting.

No, 350 is just more fancier

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Garret Ace 150: $150

Garret Ace 250: $200

Garret Ace 350: $300

Garret AT PRO: $600

You can determine which metal detector is better by the price.

What is better one of those $20 Toy Metal Detectors or a $12,000 Minelab?

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My advice? Run with the 350 for a year or so... if the hobby grips you to where you beep in your sleep, move up to a AT Pro. Look at it this way, in the long run, a treasure hunter can never have too many machines. BTW, do you have a pro pointer? get one.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello,

If you afford the Garrett AT Pro, go for that model. You can set the machine to sound like the ACE 250, then when you feel more confident and ready for an upgrade switch the mode to Pro-mode. If you feel you can work with the Pro-mode from the beginning, then go for it. The AT Pro is a nice mid-range machine that with some experience will provide many hours of great hunting.

Regards,

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread