Virgin Hunt with my Godfather

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Took the Compadre (Godfather) out to a local park for it's first hunt this morning. Dug clad penny's, nicks, quarters @ 5-6" and the discrimination on this tiny machine is the bomb. Found one silver charm (cool pirate face) and my share of tabs until I blocked them.
This is a GREAT little machine, glad I added it to my collection. Thanks Tesoro! HH and GL to all...

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't block them tabs. I hit a park once with a compadre. I could see someone had been there before me but they obviously were blocking tabs and nickles. I got 12 nickles, 1 dime, 1 penny, 1 quarter, pile of tabs and a GOLD RING.

OP
OP
penzfan

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Don't block them tabs. I hit a park once with a compadre. I could see someone had been there before me but they obviously were blocking tabs and nickles. I got 12 nickles, 1 dime, 1 penny, 1 quarter, pile of tabs and a GOLD RING.

How right you are I/S. I just finished some air tests out in the garage and noticed gold dropped off when the D-knob was set above pull tabs. Think I'll be keeping the D-knob below iron most times.

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How right you are I/S. I just finished some air tests out in the garage and noticed gold dropped off when the D-knob was set above pull tabs. Think I'll be keeping the D-knob below iron most times.

Yep, not matter what detector gold rings = digging tabs. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. Some places the tabs are just so thick the only option is to move or disc. them out.

OP
OP
penzfan

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Pulled some quarters and dimes up today with the D set at max. Thick pull tab area.

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dig a lot of tabs with my tesoros... The Quattro/safari on the otherhand is one detector that I believe I can positively ID a square tab that falls in the same conductive range as gold and nickels when you switch to a ferrous sound... If the sound is high like a coin but the number on the conductive generated readout is 14-18 you have a square tab... Gold rings and nickels have a low ferrous sound... The only exceptions are broken square tabs that have the lower sound and I dig those.. So why have I not found a gold ring? Well you have to have your coil over one... The Quattro is annoying to run with ferrous sounds all the time tho, and a little cumbersome to switch programs and double check, I wish it just had a toggle switch like my Tejon, a much better machine in iron trash...

Last edited:

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
In areas with tons of tabs I dig them till I get sick of that, but then I return to my over and over so eventually most get dug to see exactly what they are or what they might be masking.
The same goes with foil, and I always dig all nickel signals and zinc, too.
Most solid signals of all kinds, anyway, the kind that come in solid as I turn the disc knob down to hear them and if they don't make much noise when I get to that "come in" point.

Here are 4 good reasons why I feel I must dig tabs.
After you find a few targets that come in at tabs but aren't, it gets way easier to wrap your head around doing this sort of thing.

Attachments

• tab gold.jpg
    tab gold.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 76

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread