OP
OP
Deft Tones

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
See, one of the things that I had going for me and I used it was that I am from San Antonio, Texas. To us, no big deal, but to a bunch of Europeans, their eyes light up and they almost yell ALAMO. They open their lives to you. Germans especially. Most of you don't know, but they fly here and are picked up at the airport and taken 40 miles NW to a little town called Bandera, the "Cowboy Capital of the World". They check in to one of the many Dude Ranches, then go downtown to the big western wear store, where they buy the whole outfit, from hat to boots. They ride horses, eat BBQ, are entertained by the country singer under the stars and have a hayride. There is usually a field trip to see the Alamo. And they pay big money for all this. Metal detect? No, unless they saw us at times along the river and marveled at our junk. Of course we let them help. Some even played golf if they stayed at a certain ranch. They loved it and it provides a lot of money to that community. Travel to have fun is great, if you can afford it. Find an Indian relic? Cool for us, a once in a lifetime experience for some. Virgin sight? Maybe, but who cares. Who hasn't dreamed of finding a nugget in that pan you are learning to use or a cob to have framed and wear around your neck? Area might have been hunted forever, but when you hit it, it's new to you. It's all virgin if you have not been there before. And incredible fun. And as they say, you only live once...

Pretty cool illustration. I like your attitude towards life too, but seems to me that if a place has been hunted or not, and I am there for the first time, that makes me the virgin! :occasion14:

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As long as I can get there, hunt and get back in a day I would do it. If it requires a hotel stay, then it needs to likely be a really good site or have multiple sites with good potential nearby. And sometimes you just need a road trip adventure.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Has Bandera grown THAT much over the last:dontknow: 25 years?!?!? I remember missing it one time cause I wasn't paying attention. :laughing7:
O

Grown, no not really. There is a wilderness area now to hike, ride horses or bike. Found an old bottle dump off the main trail and a couple dozen ppoints over different terrain in a 5 mile hike. Gave them all to the people at the headquarters. Bandera, on most weekends is gridlock with traffic, more restaurants are there, there is a western club, a museum and guys come in from the ranches on horseback to hang with the tourists around the blacksmith shop on main street. Old swimming holes on the Medina River are packed. Interesting place now. Used to be a one horse town, now about a two horse town...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions