Isaac

Oct 11, 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT All Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
After studying old maps, old documents, and articles about the history of an old town near me, me and my buddy went to see if we can find any evidence of a lost homestead. This town is old and historic with not much changed since the early 1900s through now, which is pretty awesome for us detectorists and history buffs. We first went through an old road on the way to the town, and ended up getting "rejected" three times in a row, which kinda sucked. Then we got permission to try a place on a hillside where a small skirmish was fought South of the town, but the owner said it was "pounded to death" and indeed it was. It was hard to get over anything, mostly iron and modern buck shots, but I finally got a burnside bullet. Love the blue patina on these from this area. We were already running out of time, so we went into the town to the site I researched. The owner of the standing house nearby the site we were was really happy to give us permission, but her standing house from 1833 was mostly a dud. I got a clad dime at 8" and I knew it was going to be a tough day. I did, however, find a 1924 wheat penny, a baby unmarked silver ring, and a 1929 buffalo. My buddy found TWO complete harmonica reed After telling her we weren't finding a whole lot, she reminded us of the site I researched earlier that day and it was on the left side of her property. When we went to the left side, we immediately started getting heavy iron and I immediately find a colonial saddle strap guide. This site was a log and stone house site belonging to a family in the early 1800s, after the Civil war, they left the site and it was occupied by a black man. We found evidence of both residences. Immediately after I get a pewter spoon. There was one problem though, we had to clear out a number of memorials to find the deep stuff. We had a blast. Targets every foot, some deep, some on the surface. Pottery everywhere uprooted by the 50 year old oaks. It was awesome. Then my buddy calls me over and tells me he found a shield, it was a civil war saddle shield! :hello2: Glad he finally started to find stuff. Later in the day, I found a small area where we found a dozen bullets, all different types. I did not have the right coil and low batteries, so I believe there is still lots to be found. One of the last targets of the day was a beautiful late knee buckle. I love this one a lot because of the shape, it's very odd! :dontknow: It was a fun day, and I'm looking forward to when the first period coin pops out ;) ;) 12825771_127935140933388_1679421106_n.jpg 10342924_1546939578969700_5211504110929030908_n.jpg

HH!

Upvote 21

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great hunt Isaac!!! Sounds like a lot more to come. Keep us posted.[emoji106]

HH, Relic Nut

OP
OP
Isaac

Isaac

Oct 11, 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks guys. Looking forward to next time and I am going to do more research! :D

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on those nice digs Isaac. :occasion14: You 2 sure were determined and it paid off. :thumbsup:

TokenMan

Aug 27, 2014
NOVA
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro-10D2 & 6x10dd
White's 6000 Pro XL
Fisher 1266x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like an awesome hunt!!!

OP
OP
Isaac

Isaac

Oct 11, 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks guys! Looking forward to the next one!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Put in that research time and you will always be rewarded. Great job buddy

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wtg Isaac. Looks like you're on a very nice old site. Hope some new batteries will put you right back in the thick of things.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread