Virginia Beach

VBCurt

Oct 6, 2012
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250 and PRO Pointer
How do I clean my 1882 penny? It looks like a lawn mower found it first, but its my oldest coin that I have found.

ForumRunner_20121029_124421.png

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro
Hi, I've had success cleaning Indian Head Cents the following way (though it takes some time)... I have on hand toothpicks, Hydrogen peroxide (rubber gloves if you don't want your hands whitened by peroxide), paper towels, a dish and microwave. Heat the peroxide till it boils. Most people clean common wheat pennies by just dropping them in the peroxide, but this is a little harsh on coins. For Indian Heads, I instead, dip the toothpick in the peroxide and then take the toothpick and start scraping at the crud. Then wipe peroxide off with paper towel (the less time peroxide is on the coin, the more likely the patina will remain intact). Repeat this. Depending on the surface condition of the coin, you'll probably spend 30 minutes scraping and go through several toothpicks. You'll notice a cruddy film, make sure to wipe this off, so it wont dry on the coin. When satisfied, I usually take a little mineral oil and give the coin a very fine coating and let it dry on the coin to seal it. I've done this with a ton of IH's and it works great. Good luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread