Virginia Half Penny...

hbeaton

Jun 4, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Got out detecting today. Managed a couple unremarkable flat buttons but did pull a bucketlister. A 1773 Virginia Half Penny. A little history about it. The British Crown sanctioned the minting of these copper coins (appox. 700,000 at the Tower Mint in London) that then came across the Atlantic onboard the "Virginia" in early 1774 but did not actually hit circulation until 1775. After the Revolutionary War these coins along with newly minted U.S. coins were still used as currency for a bit. Unfortunately for this particular coin, time and fertilizer deteriorated the coins front (King George III facing right) but the back does does have a pretty shield containing a harp, lions, fleur de leis and horses. The date of 1773 would be in the top of the coin at the 11 and 1 o'clock positions but they have corroded away. Helluva find!

IMG_2562.JPG
IMG_2563.JPG

Upvote 40
You dug yourself a very nice little piece of history Hbeaton. Thanks for the back story on the coin too!

Sweet find, congrats! :occasion14:

Great coin when I first looked at it I thought it was one of those spanish treasure coins. Keep rippin Tommy

Nice find , how deep was it ? Thanks on the history lesson too. My son dug one 20 years ago in Fredericksburg Va .

Excellent copper there! Congrats. Sometimes even one good side is a win! I would be psyched to find that coin!

Really nice! Thanks for the back story too!

Virginia Half Penny..

Super nice Virginia Half Penny. Congrats on digging that piece of history and sharing it here for all to see and admire. Wtg!!

Love that coin,pretty good detail for such an old one.

Killer find. Cool piece of history.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back