VIRGINIA HUNT: GET BUG SPRAY w/ DEET!!!

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have been metal detecting the past two weeks and the number of TICKS have grown exponentially. Have pulled at least 3 off everytime I have gone out. In fact, last Friday, even got one called a "seed" or "deer" tick stuck to me (those are the kind that carry lyme disease). Not to fear though, I have been bitten by them before and never got it as in fact it is hard to transmit but does happen. The point is, use bug spray preferably the "Deep Woods" or "Sportsmans" type which carries more DEET in it, substantially more, 40% as opposed to 10% in the regular kind. Used the "Deep Woods" on Sunday and sprayed it all over my arms and legs before I went out and did not find any when I came home.....now that might be because I got lucky, but the odds are against that. The regular spray is not very effective with ticks, it is MUCH better to get the stronger 40% DEET spray. Look forward to meeting everyone and having a long awaited and good hunt!! ;) :)

Sentinel

Ronin9868

Jan 2, 2007
South Eastern VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Minelab SE, 12x15 and the 10x12 Butterfly Excel, 12.5 Excel,18.5 Excel
{Sentinel} said:
Have been metal detecting the past two weeks and the number of TICKS have grown exponentially. Have pulled at least 3 off everytime I have gone out. In fact, last Friday, even got one called a "seed" or "deer" tick stuck to me (those are the kind that carry lyme disease). Not to fear though, I have been bitten by them before and never got it as in fact it is hard to transmit but does happen. The point is, use bug spray preferably the "Deep Woods" or "Sportsmans" type which carries more DEET in it, substantially more, 40% as opposed to 10% in the regular kind. Used the "Deep Woods" on Sunday and sprayed it all over my arms and legs before I went out and did not find any when I came home.....now that might be because I got lucky, but the odds are against that. The regular spray is not very effective with ticks, it is MUCH better to get the stronger 40% DEET spray. Look forward to meeting everyone and having a long awaited and good hunt!! ;) :)

Sentinel

AND HE GOT THOSE BEFORE HE EVEN GOT INTO THE WOODS!!! :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LMAO!! Yeah and whos car were we driving in to get to that particular hunt?? So they must have come from your ride. Little pests always seem to come from up North and agitate us here in the South :o :o :o :o :o :o :o ;D ;D ;D ;D :P :P :P :P :P

Sandpit

Jan 28, 2006
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Nautilus 2Ba & Tejon
Guys, have been using Avon bug off, No side effects as Deet. Last 3 Yrs. Really works as we have a hugh population of ticks in NC. HH, Sand.

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What side effects are you refering to? I have never had any side effects but that is another type that people could consider. I myself will go with the only thing that has worked for me here. I am a hunter as well and, just speaking for myself, the DEET is the ONLY thing that has really ever worked well for me.

Sandpit

Jan 28, 2006
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Nautilus 2Ba & Tejon
When i use DEET it makes me break out with a rash. Glad to hear it works for you and no problems. There have been major problems for children under the age of six using the product. (seizures). The EPA classified it as a pesticide and NY state ban the sale of any over 30%. Just wanted to make others aware there was an alternative if they had a problem like my self. HH, Sandpit

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II
Very Very good Idea. If not DEET at least get something.

Also wear light clothing and long sleves and pants. It makes the ticks easier to see.

Let me be the warning, I have a doctors appt at 11:30 this morning to verify my case of lyme's disease. Two weeks ago we were camping and my wife pulled a tick off my back. Now there is a nice big bullseye rash which I'm sure is lymes disease.

and the campground we were at was Chippokes Plantation which is a stones throw down the James river.

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II
Ron and Ann said:
MadM....will keep you in my prayers all works out wonderfully at the doctors!!!!

Thank you very much.

The Doc thinks it might not be lymes disease because its lacking the white "bullseye" in the middle. But I have been put on an antibiotic just in case. Hope you all stay tick free during the hunt and good luck.

MM.

Rowdy

Jun 11, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6
SandpitNC said:
When i use DEET it makes me break out with a rash. Glad to hear it works for you and no problems. There have been major problems for children under the age of six using the product. (seizures). The EPA classified it as a pesticide and NY state ban the sale of any over 30%. Just wanted to make others aware there was an alternative if they had a problem like my self. HH, Sandpit

I was at Wally World tonight picking up water, snacks and such. I was looking over the insect repellent in the sporting goods dept., and they have one that is 100% DEET!!! Actually, 98.5% according to the ingredient list, but still!

I got the 40% OFF instead. I figure I'd rather have to deal with an occasional bug, than risk having a Haz-Mat team show up! :D

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just bought some of that Sportsman's 100% DEET spray from Wal-mart right before I came down to Florida for the Summer!!! :-\ lol I didn't realize it was so harmful... my mom's eyes got huge when I told her it was 100%, opposed to the other 60% and under that they had on the shelves... but I just got a couple arm-fulls of chiggers right before my Wal-mart trip, so I basically didn't EVER want that happening again! I may go get some lighter % spray for multipurpose use and keep that strong stuff for another time when I may really need it... lol

Bran <><

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Godisnum, it only effects some people as far as the welping. I have never heard of 100% DEET though. If you are not alergic to it, it will still make your skin feel warm for a few minutes, and also, it isnt cool to put it on your chest and stomach if you are sweating ;)

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DSCF3902.JPG

I'll keep that in mind... lol :D

Bran <><

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haven`t posted in awhile, reasons are my own. This needs to be clarified before someone does get hurt. Any product containing more then 35% deet is rec to be used to spray on clothing, then allowed to dry, then the clothing put on. Not sprayed onto your clothing while u are wearing it. Not only is this spray harmful to you as skin absorbs it but u inhale the fumes also. This is def true about any 100% deet products. Your best defense is to use a product such as avon skin so soft on your body head to toe, then put on the clothing u have treated with the high % deet products.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions