Virginia Metal Detecting Laws

clwinters

Dec 17, 2013
Canastota, NY
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just received my new Fisher F2 metal detector and are going to Virginia Beach the day after Christmas. Anyone know of the current laws or codes for detecting on the beach? Thought I'd try it out since we are staying at the ocean front. Any info would be great. Don't want to get in trouble the first time out.

VBCurt

Oct 6, 2012
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250 and PRO Pointer
There is no limit on virginia beach ocean front. Just fill your holes and no private property with out permission. They have been pumping sand on to the beach for the last month or so.

JFITTZZZ

May 6, 2012
Mansfield Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I personally haven't had any issues MDing on the beach or anywhere else. Just a few funny looks from people....Geez have they ever seen someone metal detecting?

kk4ces

Greenie
Nov 14, 2012
Powhatan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
iI live in the North Chesterfield/Richmond area. I have an original Minelab Explorer and I just got a new Minelab Explorer SE Pro but have never done any real metal detecting (due to my extreme lack of knowledge). I was hoping to find some or even one club in the area but nothing! I was hoping some one in my area could help me learn how and what to do and maybe get a little club started. I'm dying to detect on my property, there were homes and other structures here and I'm right down the road from a Civil War arsenal.

I'm in Powhatan and try to hunt as much as possible. I got a ctx3030 and find some good stuff. Been doing it for a little over a year now. How bigs your spot? Low and slow.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

tebb23

Greenie
May 31, 2014
Va Beach, VA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics EuroTek Pro

Arrived and has been used. Found a 1910 penny and a bunch of junk in my first hour.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some really good posts here, but my question is, is it actually written down (some sort of law) that says we are okay to detect? Like the VA Beach parks and such, I doubt I will hit the beaches, but who knows.

I read in another thread someone was suggesting to print the law (In VA) if they wanted documentation, I'm wondering if there is such a thing.

Thanks in advance.

Tim

wilscot59

Sep 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We wouldn't have these laws if it were not for those who choose to MD and destroy property, not replace their divots, not leave the areas the way they found it and hunt without permission. They make life suck for those who do it the right way. Just my .02 worth!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread