Pipsico 3rd Hunt: 28-31 March 2008: STILL ON!! HOORAY!!!

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
25 March 2008:

Addy for Pipsico.... 57 Pipsico Road, Spring Grove, Virginia.... incase you need directions. Also...look for signs that say EASTOVER and CHANCO...Pipsico is the property between the two!

THREE MORE DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHOOOOOOO HOOOOOOO....See you all there!!
Annmarie

18 March 2008:

Received the paperwork in the mail last week....which it states YES!!!!!!!!! Whoo Hoo! Written on the paperwork was "Checking into the legalities"....hmmmm...wonder what they found out? I didn't want to question....since we have permission...know what I mean?

Something tells me this MAY be the last time though...so lets make the best of it. I won't know if we can hunt again until I return to BSA with the camping fees paid to turn it in. I will find out then if another one will be allowed. But, while at this hunt, we will discuss what a good time frame would be, just incase we can....so when I go to BSA, then I can go ahead and submit our request. Keep your fingers crossed we can continue to hunt!!! But in the meantime...let's enjoy this time coming up and make it the best yet!!!!

Does not look like I will be able to make it up to the Surry Co courthouse. :(....However, depending what time I get off work on Thursday...Ron, the kids and myself may drive up early and stay at a hotel .... this way I may be able to give a quick scan through the courthouse and see what I can find. I plan to be at the reservation between noon and 1 pm.....

And I am hoping Ron can get Friday off....Monday is good...but Friday is not looking good for him right now...so he may have to meet me up there. That's ok....I think I remember how to set up a tent LOL.... ::)

I can't wait....one more weekend to get through and we are there....haven't heard from anyone else....so looks like we will be a small group. That's ok....we have fun no matter how big or small of a group we are!!!

I started packing to make sure I don't forget anything. And it doesn't look like prizes will be given out this time....it was started on, but when we were cancelled, that threw it off...so if anyone was expecting prizes...I'm very sorry.... :'(

Don't know, as I have not done anything ... about seeing if we could still get some....

I worked 53 hours last week and this week, I have 40 on the schedule and I don't know what they will have me working next week...I should find out today..I hope...just hoping I don't have many hours...got to be rested up for the hunt!!!

Well....until next weekend.....I'll be seeing ya'll there!!!!!!!!!!
Annmarie

And to put your mind at ease....here's the email I just received from Pam this morning from the BSA OFFICE:

To : "Annmarie" <PRIVATE>
Subject : Re: ck request
Date : Thu, Mar 13, 2008 09:33 AM

Ann Marie,
I will process your request today.
Remember the same applies...all findings are reported to the Ranger.
Have a great day.
Pam

To : "Annmarie" <PRIVATE>
Subject : Re: ck request
Date : Wed, Mar 12, 2008 03:55 PM

Ann Marie,
Apparently I missed the last word on your club using camp.
It was approved. The Scout Executive, Bill Deany and the Executive Board
said ok.
Please let me know if you want to keep the date.
Pam

This was my response:

Pam...

OMG....YES...WE STILL WANT THAT DATE (28-31 March 2008)!! HOORAY!

I am passing the word to our club that we are still WELCOMED to hunt!!!

THANK YOU!!!! And a big THANK YOU to Mr. Deany and the Executive Board!

Annmarie and the Pipsico Virginia Coin and Relic Diggers (VaCards)

Get your gear together.....let's hunt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UPDATE :::::::: 7 March 2008 :::::::: UPDATE

Here's an email I just received.....

"Hello Ann Marie,
I am sorry to inform you that the request by the metal detecting club to use Pipsico Scout Reservation March 28 to March 31 has be denied.
Yours in Scouting,
Pam Vickrey"

I AM VERY STEAMED RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I sent an email to Pam requesting a copy of this said contract as per Mr. Thompson and this is her response....

Ann Marie,
I don't have the contract.
Pam
----- Original Message -----
To: Pam (PRIVATE)
Sent: Friday, March 07, 2008 2:23 PM
Subject: Re: Pipsico Scout Reservation

Pam,

One more request...may I please receive a copy of the contract that Mr.
Thompson referred to me about as per the FOIA.

Thank you very much,
Annmarie LaDue

I wrote her back asking if she knew where I would be able to obtain a copy.......

OKAY....well, no progress here as of yet. I went down to the BSA Office. Pam was in, but was not able to see me and I was told Mr. Deeming (Not Diehl...oops!) was not available. I sent Pam an email this morning after returning home and I will copy it here:

"Good Morning Pam,

I'm sorry I wasn't able to speak with you this morning or Mr. Deeming (not sure I have his
spelling correctly, for that I apologize).

I spoke with Mr. Thompson this morning and it did not matter what I said.....anyways...

I was not aware that there was a contract with them and Mr. Deeming (BSA). Mr. Thompson
said Mr. Deeming was not aware of what we did. He is more than welcomed to come out with
me one day and I will show him :)...I can guarntee a grand time!!!

I'm a genealogist, I love researching history and the people who made the history. Metal
Detecting adds flavor to my genealogist quest.
I am currently writing a book of the Families of Hampton Roads (the largest family tree),
but my work will NOT extend past 31 December 1999 (leave after that date for the future
generations!). Infact, I, as well as others in our group, are putting things together for
a book....we just haven't decided yet as to what to name it...PIPSICO: THE OTHER
JAMESTOWN...is something we have played with!

Metal Detecting Pipsico has been a wonderful experience and finding history (NOT
DESTROYING IT) has been a pleasure and a thrill! We have done so much research on Pipsico
and we have intentions of turning over all of our research over to the BSA Museum at
Pipsico along with photos, etc. Also, let it be known, if we were to run across any
foundations .... we are smart enough to know .... to leave well enough alone and inform
Ranger Dan so he may contact Ms Clemens. We would not intentionally destroy a piece of
history or possible piece of history! And we have also turned over every piece of
"relic" found as per the request of BSA. I have taken pics of everything as
well...for our records :). Even the trash :):)...sometimes, depending on the trash, it can
tell alot of the people and the homesteading of the land....and nails give another story
too!

I PRAY that our request for 28-31 March 2008 will NOT be turned down. We don't feel we are
destroying history....but helping the process along! "Archies" and
"Detectorist" WILL NEVER see eye to eye. And if research is done, you will find
many a detectorist who have found wonderful historical sites and informed the proper
authorities.

Mr. Thompson said that the contract (if I understood him correctly), allows
"Archies" to come to Pipsico and teach the boy scouts about Archeaology. If that
is the case, I can hook you up with "Archies" in the field. Our connection with
Dr. David Phelps (now retired and living in Florida) did digs on my husbands property,
where a 10K gold Signet Ring was found and owner identified. When Jamestown Digs (Dr.
Kelso in charge) found a ring, they were trying to connect it to the one on my husbands
property. No connection that we are aware of :(

Dr. Ewing, of ECU Archeaology Dept, took over after Dr. David Phelps retired. The ECU
Archeaolgoy Dept was named after Dr. Phelps. I am sure Dr. Ewing would be happy to assist
as well as have students provide teaching the boys of Archeaology. Also Fred Willard, who
is doing the LOST COLONY research, is also a close friend. So, if it's "Archies"
you need...we can talk! My husband's "relics" are being curated by ECU
Archeaology Dept and my husband OWNS all those RELICS!

Either way, I really hope we will still be able to continue with our next hunt. I was
going up to Surry Co next week to meet some others in researching the local records and
newspapers.

We have and will continue to abide by the RULES AND REGS of BSA Tidewater Council and that
of Ranger Dan while on the PROPERTY OF THE BSA!!! We will, nor would we ever, show
disrespect or destroy anything!

I would have loved to talk to Mr. Deeming so he could have met me and undertand our side.
We are a group of everyday folks, in many fields of occupation, with families and have a
love of history.

I Thank You for your time and do hope to hear from you soon. I am off work today, so I
will be home.

With Kindest Regards,

Annmarie LaDue
USN (Retired)
Committee Member, Troop 65"

I don't know as of yet, if we will be cancelled or not...so don't change plans as of yet. I was hoping for an email or phone call today. Maybe Pam has bad news and doesn't know how to tell me! I'm really upset and fuming!!! BSA is owned by the BOY SCOUTS...NOT THE ARCHIES or The STATE...it is NOT on the HISTORICAL LIST!!! Talking to Mr. Thompson this morning got me no where. ARCHIES and DETECTORIST will NEVER see eye to eye. What makes no sense to me...they are digging up the road to Dillard's Wharf to make it more accessible...but we can't metal detect. Mr. Thompson said WE ARE DESTROYING HISTORY! He was silent when I told him of the history we knew of Camp Kiwanis and of Erasmus Carter's Homestead and William Dillard's...LOL...I told him we love finding history and being apart of finding it....that's when he said we were NOT finding it, but destroying it!!! He is a VOLUNTEER to Mary Clemens. I forgot to ask him if he was really an archeaologist or just a hobbyist!!!

So, as soon as I find something out...I will post here....keep your fingers crossed ya'll. In the meantime, I am looking at other avenues....and will let ya'll know!
Annmarie (3:58 PM EST 13 Feb 2008)

IMPORTANT MESSAGE YA'LL: 13 February 2008

Hold your horses everyone....we seem to have a problem at command central.

I received an email from Pam at the BSA OFFICE. She asked if I would call Bill Thompson, who is a volunteer that works with Mary Clemens, pertaining to the archeology site at Pipsico. Bill and Mary are very sensitive about metal detectors near archaeology sites. Bill has been told that you have always followed the Rangers directions and only gone where he has given permission.....(excerpt from her email)

I just spoke to Mr. Thompson...I told him we were given permission by the man in charge, Bill Diehl (I think I spelled his name right)....Mr. Thompson said that BSA signed a contract 4 years ago saying they would not allow anyone else to dig the property. Mr. Thompson said we were digging areas of old homesteads and all. I told him we have been doing research and we were excited to be a part of finding history. He said, we weren't finding it...we were DESTROYING IT!!!!!!!!!

I am headed to the BSA Office now and I want to speak to MR. Diehl. I will get back to ya'll upon my return. FINGERS CROSSED!!!!!!!

Annmarie

It's 9:49am EST....headed to BSA Office now..they open at 10am EST...will post when I return...keep your fingers crossed....

UPDATED 14 December 2007: We are set for this weekend.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And they had no problems with it being 4 days!!!!!!!!!! Cool!!!!

Ok...we are going to request the Camp Kiwanis site again for our third hunt. We are looking at March / April time frame.

When I went to turn in the money for our camping fees ($1.00 per day per person)...Pam was still on vacation...she will be in today. Going to give her a hollar to see what dates she can provide.

I spoke with Ranger Dan and he said that time would be good...if we have a fairly cold Winter, the Copperheads hopefully, will still be "sleeping". March will be blustery and April will probably bring us lots of rain...so we will have to keep our eyes peeled to the sky and the weather channel....if it's overcast, drizzle and such, I'll still go...but if it's a downpour...don't think so! :)

I hope to get some dates and post them today...so everyone can make some arrangements. I'm looking at extending it a day...making it a 4-day adventure. I can take off work and I will leave my boys with their grandma (they have perfect attendance so far and they want to get their certificates at the end of the school year! ;)).

So, how does four days sound....Fri, Sat, Sun and Mon...or Thurs, Fri, Sat and Mon? I know not everyone can do the 3-day and the 4-day may be tough too....but this will give others more options to even come for a day....and gives us another full day to hunt!!!

Please, your input is greatly appreciated!

Make sure to view the photos from the Pipsico 2nd Hunt - the link is under my profile pic!

Until my next posting...happy hunting,
Annmarie

Updated: 4 December 2007 10:42am EST
Just called for Pam...was told she won't be in today. I told the lady that she said she would be in today...UGH...so I'll email Pam and wait for her response....I'll get dates to you as soon as I can....

Updated: 5 December 2007 10:42am EST
Emailed Pam this morning and told her about the weekend and all....heading to work in a bit...will check email when I get home after 7pm tonight...a loonnnnnnnnngggg day for me!!!

Updated: 6 December 2007 14:31 EST
Tentative Date: Friday, 28 March 2008 through Monday, 31 March 2008.

I am waiting for approval on this weekend. Does not appear anything is happening at Camp Kiwanis that weekend. We should not have a problem.

I am, however, making it a 4-day event. You don't have to come for all 4 days, you can come for 2 or 3 or just even for one day. Camping fees will remain the same: $1. per person per night (can't beat those camping fees!). I will make arrangements with Ranger Dan PRIOR to the hunt to have the museum open for those who have not been in it to see and hoping our stuff from the May hunt will be in there. I will also make arrangements with Ranger Dan to see if we could go over to Camp Lions and do some detecting.

We will have a check-in station under the OA Shelter at Camp Kiwanis. All artifacts found must be checked in as well. We will keep note and take pics of everything found, this includes clad, silver and trash. At the end of the hunt, you will receive your clad and silver. If there is anything found that is NOT of historical nature to the land, you will be able to keep that as well (i.e., Boy Scout sliders). By detecting at this reservation, you are complying to the BSA Requirement that all finds are to be turned in. I don't like turning in my finds anymore than the next person, but that is the agreement....and it also helps with uncovering the history of the land and hopefully we ALL will get the respect we deserve by being honest and truthful!!!

I am counting on each person to be HONEST about their finds. That one piece you try to take home may be the one key to the history of this land. And if you dig up 25 nails, keep them...do not throw them away or re-bury them...they are to be checked in as well....

There will be a bin for all trash found (not to be thrown in the daily trash bin...just incase something is thrown away by accident).

All those coming MUST check-in at the check-in station. I also want to take pics of everyone as they come in...and you will also have a photo taken with all your finds too!!

I need to make sure I have everyone's name so I can make sure everyone gets the proper credit for each artifact found. I don't care if the "Archies" want your name...but as for the BS Museum...I care!!! I want to make sure everyone gets credit for their finds.

Like the first hunt we had...(we didn't do it for the second hunt)...we will have a raffle and a dinner under the OA Shelter on Saturday night. Meals at all other times will be each persons responbility. Looking at however, having a big SUNDAY BREAKFAST on Sunday morning for those remaining.

I'll talk with CryptoDave and see if he can work out some deals on prizes for Saturday night and I will ask around here locally as well (i.e., camping stores, metal detecting stores, etc.)

In the next month, I plan to have a website up on Pipsico and post the pics from the last two hunts and also post about the upcoming hunts. I will keep you posted when it's available for viewing.

There are NO SHOWERS at Camp Kiwanis...and that time of year should not be too hot (and I hope not to rainy either) and I pray the Copperheads are still 'sleeping'.

The road to Dillard's Wharf should be complete or almost complete by then....which is good...if you saw the pics, you saw the hike we had to take through all that overgrown brush!!! LOL

As more information comes in...I'll post to keep you updated. I hope to head up to Surry Co after the holidays. DCMatt....when I can find a good date to get up there...you want to hit the courthouse/historical society with me? NewBob and Dave....you are more than welcome to join us and anyone else. More research is needed and all help is greatly appreciated. Even through my old newspaper searches, not having much luck :(

Ok...that's it for now....I'll check in later with any updates....and confirmation on our dates.

Hope to see alot of you there....it's gonna' be a blast!!!

Happy Hunting and Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays,
Annmarie

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Pipsico 3rd Hunt: 28, 29, 30, and 31 March 2008

As more information comes in...I'll post to keep you updated. I hope to head up to Surry Co after the holidays. DCMatt....when I can find a good date to get up there...you want to hit the courthouse/historical society with me?

Count me IN for more research AND for the hunt. The proposed hunt date is my birthday weekend!

Chat soon.

DCMatt

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Count me in as well. I will do what research I can from the Burgh!

EX2user

Sep 4, 2007
Norfolk,Va
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explore 11

Planning on being there all four days. Hope to see everyone then.

troyx5

Nov 24, 2007

Just so you know, Diggin' in Virginia is that weekend as well. Hope you all have a good time.

StogieJim

Feb 26, 2007
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Exp 2, Tejon, & Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Pipsico 3rd Hunt: 28, 29, 30, and 31 March 2008--IT'S A GO FOR THIS WEEKEND!

Wouldn't miss it for the world!! I really like the idea of being a VA CARD.

Jim

Stacylee926

Dec 29, 2006
Portsmouth, VA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Discovery 1100
Re: Pipsico 3rd Hunt: 28, 29, 30, and 31 March 2008--IT'S A GO FOR THIS WEEKEND!!!

Ann - Count Justin and I in - probably not all 4 days, but at least 1 overnight - maybe 2.

Stacy

vhskip

Greenie
Jan 14, 2007
Woodbridge, VA
Detector(s) used
DFX, White's 6000 Di Pro
Re: Pipsico 3rd Hunt: 28, 29, 30, and 31 March 2008--IT'S A GO FOR THIS WEEKEND!!!

Count me in! I'll be there all four days.
Skip

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab

I'll see what I can get together. It won't be like it was last time though.

sndman60

Jan 31, 2008
Williamsburg, VA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300

ALLLLLRIGHTY then, count me in for at least one day on the weekend and hopefully both Sat. and Sun. Let's get it on!!! I am so looking forward to this. It will be my first organized hunt.

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Gary60 said:
ALLLLLRIGHTY then, count me in for at least one day on the weekend and hopefully both Sat. and Sun. Let's get it on!!! I am so looking forward to this. It will be my first organized hunt.

Gary, glad you can make it, I guarantee you won't be disappointed. The last hunt, the finds dated from 1800-2007...and there is a ton of ground left to cover.

OP
OP
LadyDigger

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

Kiros32 said:
Gary60 said:

Gary, glad you can make it, I guarantee you won't be disappointed. The last hunt, the finds dated from 1800-2007...and there is a ton of ground left to cover.

OMG...we have barely scratched the surface on this piece of land!!!!!!!!!!! Some of us are still doing research. Always find out something new.

Glad you'll be able to make it!!!!!!!!!!

We are gonna' have one HELL OF A TIME!! FOUR GLORIOUS DAYS!!! YEAH...that's what I'm talking about!

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Pipsico 3rd Hunt: 28-31 March 2008: Problem at Command Central

Boy that sure is a buzz kill. It's too bad that guy thinks we are destroying the property. We aren't even keeping our finds. And actually, the only thing we are doing different from a normal archeaologist is filling in our holes lol. We are photographing and documenting where everything was found and haven't stuck even a finger in the dig site. Good luck Ann.

OP
OP
LadyDigger

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

Kiros32 said:
Boy that sure is a buzz kill. It's too bad that guy thinks we are destroying the property. We aren't even keeping our finds. And actually, the only thing we are doing different from a normal archeaologist is filling in our holes lol. We are photographing and documenting where everything was found and haven't stuck even a finger in the dig site. Good luck Ann.

Thanks Kiros....keep your fingers crossed. We have NOT been cancelled YET.....and I am praying they will still allow us. We have a scout meeting tonight and I am hoping Si Simons will be there....he's a great historian on Pipsico and excited about our hunts. I will see what he can do...just incase!!! He knows Bill well....and he knows Ron and I...I WON'T GIVE UP...we are NOT doing anything wrong, but helping finding history. I'm so sick of ARCHIES trying to think they OWN EVERYTHING!!! UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think it's time I started something here...time to make phone calls and get some BILLS in the works!!! I'm so sick of us (MD'ers) being labelled the BAD GUYS WHO LIKE TO LEAVE GAPPING HOLES EVERYWHERE AND DESTROYING HISTORY!!!!!!!!!

But, before I get my ulcer's flared up (guess I will find out if I have one or not!!!)....I'll have to wait for the outcome.... I do believe Mr. Deeming was in the office this morning...but he didn't want to talk to me...just my assumption!

I'll keep ya'll posted...

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab

Ann,

Just got off the phone with you.... Get a copy of that agreement and lets see what this guy is using as his defense.... If you can, scan it and send to me. I'll let my lawyer look it over.

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

cryptodave said:
Ann,

Just got off the phone with you.... Get a copy of that agreement and lets see what this guy is using as his defense.... If you can, scan it and send to me. I'll let my lawyer look it over.

Ann, I am fairly certain you have access to the agreement under FOIA. If they tell you otherwise, then talk to yours/Daves's lawyer.

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This disturbs me.

Mr. Thompson said we were digging areas of old homesteads and all.

As of the last hunt NOT a one of us ventured into the areas marked off as homesteads NOR did any of us find old foundations and dig on them.

This is a country where you are presumed Innocent until proven guilty, thus if this person by what i understand is nothing more then a vol wishes to show proof of our actions in the manner he states it would do him well to do so as proof and not heresay. ie" slander laws in this country"

Again

He said, we weren't finding it...we were DESTROYING IT!!!!!!!!!

If he wishes to show proof of our actions(Not of other detectorist but of us as per his statement on pipsico) then i request that proof to be shown OR else his statement be resinded.

As since i attended the last hunt this statement is directly pointed at me and any other person/s that attended that hunt and as such he has slandered me and also the rest of the people that went there.

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

TheSleeper said:
This disturbs me.

Mr. Thompson said we were digging areas of old homesteads and all.

As of the last hunt NOT a one of us ventured into the areas marked off as homesteads NOR did any of us find old foundations and dig on them.

This is a country where you are presumed Innocent until proven guilty, thus if this person by what i understand is nothing more then a vol wishes to show proof of our actions in the manner he states it would do him well to do so as proof and not heresay. ie" slander laws in this country"

Again

He said, we weren't finding it...we were DESTROYING IT!!!!!!!!!

If he wishes to show proof of our actions(Not of other detectorist but of us as per his statement on pipsico) then i request that proof to be shown OR else his statement be resinded.

As since i attended the last hunt this statement is directly pointed at me and any other person/s that attended that hunt and as such he has slandered me and also the rest of the people that went there.

Well said.

OP
OP
LadyDigger

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

No word YET .... I am assuming that the hunt is STILL ON!

I am trying to contact the person in charge of the Cape Henry District, which the Tidewater Council falls under.

I have printed out the FOIA (thanks Kiros) and reviewing it. If WE CANNOT HUNT for history....then I will be requesting a copy of the contract. I won't sit on this one.

I am so tired, because of a few out there that don't follow the laws and / or destroy property, that the few others who enjoy finding history and respect the lands we are given permission to detect are labeled the bad people who are not finding history, but destroying it! I am so sick and tired of it!

And I did not appreciate Mr. Thompson putting us in the same category of those that did the hunt up in Strafford, Va....according to Mr. Thompson ... they destroyed a battlefield that they (the archies) now have to go in and fix....well, I wasn't there, and I don't know anyone that was....but don't put ME in that category. You don't know me.

And Ken, I so agree with you...SLANDER!!! That is what it is...I want proof that I (or anyone else that has been on the first two hunts) destroyed anything.

Question....the road leading to Dillard's Wharf...that area of land was DESTROYED by the loggers...we walked that road to the wharf this last hunt...there are pics posted on my website of it. Ranger Dan said in January, plans were to start to leveling out the huge clumps of dirt those large logger tires did (now trenches with clumps of dirt in the middle)...he did not know if it would be done by the next hunt, but should be clear enough as not to walk through much brush!!!...but isn't that destroying property of a potential history site?

What about buildings put up on the camp? Don't you have to mess up the land to put up the building? What about the scouts digging holes in the grounds?

Ranger Dan is concerned that with the current digs...more land will be takin' away from the boy scout camp where the boys can not utilize....and I am feeling what he is feeling.

When we were permitted to metal detect and Mr. Thompson saying that Mr. Deeming has no idea of what metal detecting is...I think is BS....as this was explained as well when I made the first request, otherwise, why would we be told that anything DUG UP HAD to be turned over to the BSA Office??? Come on...I wasn't born yesterday.....

Also, when given permission by the BSA Office and also with meeting with Ranger Dan at our first meeting...it was made perfectly clear that NO METAL DETECTING would be done on the archaeological site and that we could metal detect ANYWHERE else on the property.

This property is OWNED by BSA, not W&M or the archaeologist!!!! This is private land that we have been given permission to hunt.

Also, when Mr. Thompson said he ran the museum...well...I know now, that our items will NOT be in that museum (he did not say that...but these items were found metal detecting, not during archaelogy digs)...sad too...so, I have something I am working on...and I want to see if I can get it approved and it will be Boy Scout BUILT!!!!! We have enough boys going for Eagle ... that this could be their EAGLE PROJECT for next year (since this year is over) and I will find a way to raise funds for the boys to build it....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ok....I want to propose a new MUSEUM be built on the BSA Property, funded by donations and other legal means the boys can raise money and built by the EAGLE SCOUTS for a project. We can also have the younger scouts help with certain areas, maybe this will be good for earning other badges for them as well....but I am going to run this by one of the OLDEST SCOUTS and get his idea of it and see who he feels I can run this through. This museum will HOUSE items found on the property that either Boy Scouts found or was metal detected. This will be a BOY SCOUT RUN MUSEUM ONLY!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Of course, I will have to find a way to get electricians/plumbers in for the electrical and plumbing side of the building...but maybe I can find some nice folks out there that would like to help and they can write it off on taxes!!...Yes, looking for freebriesss!!!)

I am not saying anything against Mr. Deemings either, as I have NOT met him, nor do I know him, other than in talking with others...nor do I know his true feelings on this...as he apparently was NOT IN when I stopped by the other day....hmmm? Anyways...

And IF WE are told we CAN NOT due to Mr. Thompson's actions....you ain't seen a HOT TEMPERED IRISH/GERMAN MENOPAUSAL WOMAN until now!!!!!!!!!

So, as of now....we are still on for the hunt!!!!!!!!! Nothing has been cancelled as of yet.....I will keep everyone informed as I find out information.............

Four glorious days.....coming soon!!!! :)
Annmarie

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Correct me if i am wrong Ann.

1. isn`t thompson a volunteer?
2. You say he is incharge of the museum?
3. He said we were the same as that group that destroyed the battlefield?
4. Where are all the items found during those hunts, are they inventoried and listed as finds from pipsico, ask for a find statement of oragin pertaining to those items.

Please get his words in writting, ask him to please post his statements in writting and send them to you. And pray just pray he sends you those words listing us in the same manner as those who hunted the battlefield.

the road leading to Dillard's Wharf...that area of land was DESTROYED by the loggers...we walked that road to the wharf this last hunt

Ann that road you are describing was it a very steep road.
If so that was the road to the old boyscout wharf, the older wharf is close to a 1/2 mile futher down stream. At the base of the wharf on the other side of the sand beach is a swampy area, thats the area that ranger dan confirmed was the wharf we were looking for. There is a semi visable path that winds onto the top of the bluffs from it but it becomes lost in overgrowth, part of the trail is definetly visable deeply reveined. From the top of the bluff you can look down and see the remaining pier post underwater jutting out nearly 300-500 ft. into a T section on the end.
Ranger Dan told us there were 2 wharfs, the first one you come to from the main ramp was the boyscout wharf the second much futher down was the one we were looking for, it was close to a mile -mile 1/2 down the beach. The first wharf was maybe 1/2 mile from the main ramp, with a road leading up from it becoming lost in undergrowth also.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread