Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Visit To A 1920's Campsite

I spent the day with "diggin brains" trying to reconstruct a campsite that is just north of the city. It is embedded in a stand of forest, but gives you access to the shoreline. This was the site of makeshift summer long, campsites during the 1920's. There were probably more than 50 elevated wooden Bungalows that were given out to city residents for occupancy during the sweltering summer months. (Most city residences didn't install air conditioning until the 60's.) There were also campsites where tents were allowed. My research says that these sites were so popular that the weekend attendance numbers would soar to about 5,000 people. Most were day visitors.
In the 1920's, there was usually only one bread winner in the family. That was usually the husband. He would work all week and join his family on the weekend.
We spent about an hour figuring out which way the structures faced and how they were built. I uncovered the first of many Well Covers for the 6 inch well pipes that are scattered around the property. I also found some conduit pipe that had been installed behind and under the stairs leading up and into where the bungalows once stood. I imagine that the summer residents had generators for the well pumps and perhaps one incandescent light bulb in each bungalow.
Most of the property is overgrown and it is easy to miss the remains unless you venture off the dirt path and into the thick brush. The structures were removed in the 30's when a nearby public beach opened. In most cases the only remains of these bungalows are the posts and some part of the 2 tier steps that allowed you to access the elevated structures.
We did manage to spend a little time swinging the coil today and found a few items that date back to the time when the Summer Residence was in full swing.
I recovered a fancy brass hinge. I say fancy because it is of better quality than the stuff we get today. I also recovered a brass padlock that has the year 1922 on it, a gutter spike with spacer, some broken dinner plates, and a cooking pan that reminds me of the Boy Scout Mess Kit pan I used when I was a kid.
My coin recoveries included a 1940s Silver Washington Quarter as well as 3 Wheat Pennies, (40, 44, & 51d).
The coin dates reflect the fact that this area continued to be revisited after the Bungalows were taken down.
My Silver Coin Find Total for 2015 is now 137
IMG_1846.JPG IMG_1855.JPG IMG_1853.JPG IMG_1851.JPG IMG_1849.JPG IMG_1848.JPG IMG_1844.JPG IMG_1842.JPG IMG_1841.JPG IMG_1847.JPG IMG_1845.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 8

8mygritz

Sep 21, 2015
maryland
Detector(s) used
propointer,350,AT pro(rarely use,prefer 350).
Primary Interest:
Other
is it already that cold up there?

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was dressed like you yesterday. Hunting in the high 40 degrees shows that you are serious about the hobby. :thumbsup: Looks like that site has some potential. Maybe you'll pull some Barbers and Buffalos during your next visit. Any hunt that produces a silver coin is a good hunt.

OP
OP
against the wind

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a picture of 'diggin brains " I'm much better looking. lol
It was chilly in the morning. The good thing about the colder weather is the absence of ticks. I came across a few nice deposits of deer droppings.
I don't mind the colder weather, as long as the ground doesn't freeze like it did last year.
I was dressed like you yesterday. Hunting in the high 40 degrees shows that you are serious about the hobby. :thumbsup: Looks like that site has some potential. Maybe you'll pull some Barbers and Buffalos during your next visit. Any hunt that produces a silver coin is a good hunt.

Last edited:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is a picture of 'diggin brains " I'm much better looking. lol
It was chilly in the morning. The good thing about the colder weather is the absence of ticks. I came across a few nice deposits of deer droppings.
I don't mind the colder weather, as long as the ground doesn't freeze like it did last year.

roger that concerning the ticks. I, like you, hunt until the ground is frozen. last year I was still digging the week of Christmas and even into early January.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
ATW NEEEET FINDS ...

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is the door hinge Brass? No sign of rust.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
roger that concerning the ticks. I, like you, hunt until the ground is frozen. last year I was still digging the week of Christmas and even into early January.

I hunt until the ground will no longer let me too, as you can tell by my digger
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1445220603.284886.jpg

Your research is paying off well ATW...good luck on your returns.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the silver, I also like the brass door hardware and the padlock! :thumbsup:
Research does payoff!

Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread