Visited a distant campMent

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I visited a distant camp, which must have been closer to a lithic source.

There were largish nodules 3”x2” of material laying around a very large area...much of it looked like poor material....this is in contrast with what I find locally. Locally it tends to be much smoother workable material...flaked down to the nubbin.

Only found one small segment of a point...and many pieces of lithic material. Left everything laying where I found it.

One small stone, that I thought looked like might be a hammer stone used to split flakes off. What do you think? Seems to show impact wear on the tip and one side. Unsure why it would show wear on the side. Looks to be only a piece of the tool? I’m not sure it would be useful as is. Almost looks to have dirty hand stains. Found with debitage flakes. Maybe I’m way off base, if so let me know.

5E9E483E-7583-41FE-AB02-05755E0F9BD9.jpeg

511E412B-233B-4038-AE37-FB37A5EB4CCC.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
IMAUDIGGER

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does look pecked or shows evidence of hammering.

That one side surface and the tip are the only surfaces that look “pecked”
The rest is smooth.

I’m curious if anybody that does knapping would think this would be a useful tool as is or if it would be a partial tool possibly? If it’s not a knapping tool, I’m not sure what else it would be. Maybe just a weathered rock?

I know some stone tools were just busted in half as part of the normal construction process.

Really looking for input rather than trying to “show off a find”.

It definitely was laying in the midst of scattered lithic materials and kind of stood out to me as being a little out of place, but it also was only 100 yards from a small creek.
Numerous archaeologists and collectors have visited this site over the years.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread