NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cape Cod Maritime museum - they put my finds I loaned them on display finally
sample of items found in saltwaters off of New England - a few Rev War buttons -
rest of the relics and other items from the 1800s up to the early 1900s
DSC00215.JPG W.jpg
DSC00219.JPG DSC00218.JPG
DSC00217.JPG DSC00216.JPG

Upvote 33
OP
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool and interesting finds display! I love how they credit "treasure hunter named Casper", haha that's awesome.
I did a better write up than what they did and a better title - I had written "many others may have scrapped some of these items or just thrown them in the trash - but they are a part of our history ..." I know guys that would have scrapped the lead and probably the same with the bronze spikes and the flatware along with anything else that has not great value - I have a man cave and if anything is anything it goes in a shoe box a rubber made or a display case.
that's the thing - a lot of this stuff was collecting dust -
I stopped in there one day with a box of items and asked them if it was something they'd be interested in and they said "hell yea" ---I just got an email from a woman that will be running a transportation/ militaria museum - sent a pic of some stuff and ask if interested and they are excited too - because I have items for them they wont be getting from anyone else ---the maritime museum is not open yet but was told board of directors came in and they thought it was awesome/ cool ...I'll probably be giving business to detector dealers in the area :tongue3:

OP
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So....what was your impression of the displays? Would you have liked to see anything different? Anything you would change?
I gave them a bunch of old fishing related stuff from the 1800s - when I first presented items and idea to them ---that's what I mainly concentrated on - fishing and maritime items - the lead sheathing to repair leaks on ships don't belong with those other items - they said they did not have room for the fishing related items - I did not expect them to spread the coins out and take up all that space -its not a coin show - just wanted to show a small variety and age of coins found on the sites - there is no need to slant the signs - they can arrange where that's not necessary - they could close ranks on some of the other items like the nails/spikes and the musketballs to make room - know they don't want to clutter it...im sure we would all do differently
they miss labeled a few things - I had given them index cards for everything but...I talked to the director the other day and he was happy with it
its different - its not actual treasure but theres stuff in there your not gonna see in any other museum probably - they'll probably leave up for a few yrs and then change to something else - told them if I get anything else special - they can add I will - I did drop off a small box of stuff to add (not shown) and
oxbowbarefoot has a cool item he found down that way last month that he is gonna loan to be added and I will have his name put under it
a friend on another forum is gonna donate some large spikes - some copper hull sheathing and possibly a piece of eight and a few other items - but that will
go into a separate display I think - not found up this way - but when I told director I had a friend that was finding actual wreck items it peaked his interested and I said Id talk to my friend and friend said sure - director said ship may have been built up this way so why not - willtake pics of that stuff too when if it happens

Last edited:

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great display!!! Congrats and way cool on letting them display your finds!!!:occasion14:

OP
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice Casper! I'm curious about the loan agreement you signed with the museum.
usually its on a year to year - at least with mine - they will run with it - till it gets stale and/or they need room
Im hoping to get into a few other old spots this year out there that may hold more 1800s stuff - they still have a bunch of old time fishing related stuff they could not display - so they could always swap out stuff - mine items are insured under their roof and at which time they cease displaying - ALL
items are to be returned to owner ---If you were going to try and donate/loan items - you can always write up your own contract and get certified
I was just contacted by another museum that is interested in land finds made and they are excited on getting my stuff for that museum because I don't think they will have anything like it donated by anyone else either ---will post that stuff too when it comes to be

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
usually its on a year to year - at least with mine - they will run with it - till it gets stale and/or they need room
Im hoping to get into a few other old spots this year out there that may hold more 1800s stuff - they still have a bunch of old time fishing related stuff they could not display - so they could always swap out stuff - mine items are insured under their roof and at which time they cease displaying - ALL
items are to be returned to owner ---If you were going to try and donate/loan items - you can always write up your own contract and get certified
I was just contacted by another museum that is interested in land finds made and they are excited on getting my stuff for that museum because I don't think they will have anything like it donated by anyone else either ---will post that stuff too when it comes to be

Thanks Casper. What I was particularly concerned about are issues regarding your items being lost, damaged or stolen. Does the museum have insurance to cover your loss in case something like that happens? Do you have an actual signed agreement? I have heard of a few horror stories about people getting screwed over by museums, and I was curious how you were protecting yourself. Thanks.

OP
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Casper. What I was particularly concerned about are issues regarding your items being lost, damaged or stolen. Does the museum have insurance to cover your loss in case something like that happens? Do you have an actual signed agreement? I have heard of a few horror stories about people getting screwed over by museums, and I was curious how you were protecting yourself. Thanks.
I did state "my items are covered under their roof" yes signed agreement - if you want to do it but unsure - you type up
your own and have it certified and signed by them - if loaning
if you out right donate - you might be able to write it off - make sure you get value of collection

olas13

Oct 12, 2004
Rhode Island,USA
Detector(s) used
Excaliber 2,minelab sov., whites surfmaster. tesoro.equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Nice job Casper,nice asortmentof finds.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did a better write up than what they did and a better title - I had written "many others may have scrapped some of these items or just thrown them in the trash - but they are a part of our history ..." I know guys that would have scrapped the lead and probably the same with the bronze spikes and the flatware along with anything else that has not great value - I have a man cave and if anything is anything it goes in a shoe box a rubber made or a display case.
that's the thing - a lot of this stuff was collecting dust -
I stopped in there one day with a box of items and asked them if it was something they'd be interested in and they said "hell yea" ---I just got an email from a woman that will be running a transportation/ militaria museum - sent a pic of some stuff and ask if interested and they are excited too - because I have items for them they wont be getting from anyone else ---the maritime museum is not open yet but was told board of directors came in and they thought it was awesome/ cool ...I'll probably be giving business to detector dealers in the area :tongue3:

That's very generous of you loan your finds out, and work that goes along with it. It's worth it though, so many people enjoy seeing these interesting old objects. It also is good for the general public to see what real treasure hunting is all about: the story of the history.

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
that's awesome Casper.you should be proud!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread