Visiting San Fran / Ukiah area, wondering if anyone has any tips

cwwj123

Feb 15, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I know there's a recreation reserve for prospecting, however I am not able to make it that way.

I was wondering if anyone had any tips for panning on public areas near Ukiah? We do plan on traveling north a bit and then looping back to San Fransisco if there's some cool beaches to hit that way. I see there's a National forest, but no real reports from it/I'm unsure if it's okay to pan there. I'll be doing some more googling on that, unless anyone knows/has had any luck?

It's a long shot, and what I've found for reports it's not the go to area for Gold, however; it's where you find it I hear!

Upvote 0
There is a little Platinum in the streams near Booneville. A friend tells me there is a little color in the Russian River but I havn't tried.

black sand san francisco near zoo to cliff house on beach ,fine gold people made a living from this during great depression

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply! I'm going to google and look into Booneville. I've found a little plat in pay dirt i've bought before. Sounds like a fun new challenge!

This one question might not be easily answered. I'd love to check out the Russian river as it's like a walk to it from our BnB, do you think any public walking area would be okay to dip the pan in at? I can't find any parks on the river near Ukiah.

Hey thanks for this! I've found fine gold on lake superior, so this is right up my ally! Thanks again! I'll be near there, even!

Avoid any place that is "State". State Parks, State Forest, etc. Commiefornia doesn't like for people to get out of their cars in these areas. State owned anything is "Look, but don't touch".

Avoid any place that is "State". State Parks, State Forest, etc. Commiefornia doesn't like for people to get out of their cars in these areas. State owned anything is "Look, but don't touch".

This is true in all the western states. It is because the land was granted to the states by the Feds for the specific purpose of generating $$ to fund the public school system. They HAVE to charge fees for use as per the enabling legislation...not because they are evil, pernicious a$$holes or something. Save up your paranoia for times when it's relevant ;)

This is true in all the western states. It is because the land was granted to the states by the Feds for the specific purpose of generating $$ to fund the public school system. They HAVE to charge fees for use as per the enabling legislation...not because they are evil, pernicious a$$holes or something. Save up your paranoia for times when it's relevant ;)

Point being, Kevin, The state of California , with exception of two or three designated SRA's are totally off limits to prospecting and all the rest you will be fined for picking a wildflower if you get caught. That Sir is not in any federal legislation. And in my opinion, it is very relevant and there are no designated SRA's in the north coast areas of California that I know of. If I can keep someone from getting in trouble with my "paranoia" in the state that I live in, then I've done my job.

Last edited:
Point being, Kevin, The state of California , with exception of two or three designated SRA's are totally off limits to prospecting and all the rest you will be fined for picking a wildflower if you get caught. That Sir is not in any federal legislation. And in my opinion, it is very relevant and there are no designated SRA's in the north coast areas of California that I know of. If I can keep someone from getting in trouble with my "paranoia" in the state that I live in, then I've done my job.

What you are describing is a difference in enforcement, not a difference in law. The law says you have to get permission from the state (fees are typically involved) to do anything on state schools lands. This is not unique to CA but the enforcement might be unique because of attitudes there...all the hippies moved to CA in the late 60's, they are now in charge so...yup.

Since the thread IS about California areas, North coast in particular, is it not relevant to inform those of the "Attitude" in relation to State owned parks, preserves, and land?

up where I'm at, the signs that tell ya what ya can't do are shot up in about 2 months, 3 tops....if ya can't read 'em...

Sections 16 and 36 of each Township were typically given to the states for the funding of school in the western states. Local governments often used these sections as they saw fit and generally used them for school funding purposes.

State parks and the such are most often not located in these sections. To my knowledge, here in northern California, state parks contribute nothing to the school system. Most of the state parks here were created from dollars donated by wealthy individuals and organizations to purchase the lands.

MikeP691 is correct in his points on enforcement here in northern California. The state park rangers are armed to the teeth and are very aggressive in enforcement of the slightest infraction or suspicion. Collecting a single rock off a gravel bar, picking a wild flower, walking a dog on a leash, letting your dog run/walk from your drift boat to the pickup. We've had major discussions with state officials and our local board of supervisors about this. A ranger putting his hand on his revolver to question you about any of the above actions is out of line. It's happened here locally numerous times.

Mike

Since the thread IS about California areas, North coast in particular, is it not relevant to inform those of the "Attitude" in relation to State owned parks, preserves, and land?

EXCELLENT point sir!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back