Metal Detecting

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I know its a tough question but does anybody know of a vlf or pulse metal detector that's fairly inexpensive or second-hand, something that can easily find small silver coins below the plough line!

There's pulse machines that can probably get a "small silver coin" at 1.5 ft. deep. If you're talking some super sensitive nugget machines, for instance. So if your question is strictly "which will get them the deepest", there's your answer. However, the devil is in the details: Every single birdshot or staple or pin will 'ring the bells of notre dame'. You'll lack discrimination. Are you will to "strip-mine" in the name of adding 2 inches of depth ?

If you get a Sovereign with a WOT coil, you can approach the same depths WHILE discriminating out iron. Depending on what you mean by "small silver coin", it will admittedly not get finger-nail sized foil-thin coins at the same depth as a pulse. But, for example, the Sov. Wot combo can get a USA dime to about 14 or 15" deep.

OP
OP
P

paul75

Apr 9, 2016
DURHAM GB
Detector(s) used
ebinger ebex pi, nokta fors core.CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The sovereign GT with the wot coil is a no go over here they dont make them anymore and second hand ones are as rare as hens teeth! (great machine though) The nugget machines are the ones to get but way too expensive for me. Im after something fairly cheap £300-£400 a good second hand one if possible, Because they get some stick in the stubble and ploughed fields. Something deep and cheap

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
The sovereign GT with the wot coil is a no go over here they dont make them anymore and second hand ones are as rare as hens teeth! (great machine though) ....

Have you heard of anyone taking a high powered nugget machine to UK farm fields ? Seems to me that you'd go bonkers.

As for availability of the sov/wot, can't you just snag one on fee-Bay ? They show up there. And if you've got a US seller advertising that they only deal with US buyer/shipping, I'm sure there's ways around that. Like have a usa connection act as middle-man.

OP
OP
P

paul75

Apr 9, 2016
DURHAM GB
Detector(s) used
ebinger ebex pi, nokta fors core.CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have you heard of anyone taking a high powered nugget machine to UK farm fields ? Seems to me that you'd go bonkers.

As for availability of the sov/wot, can't you just snag one on fee-Bay ? They show up there. And if you've got a US seller advertising that they only deal with US buyer/shipping, I'm sure there's ways around that. Like have a usa connection act as middle-man.
I know a few people that use them with double D coils for a bit extra discrimination but there way too expensive, The CTX was bad enough. The sov GT is a good machine but i would be waiting until Christmas for one to come along and then why pay a load of money out for a detector thats discontinued no cover and if anything goes wrongwith it its money down the drain

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The pulse induction machines were initially made for gold. Great if you're in a desert somewhere and no people were ever around, that is no iron, otherwise you'll have a nail and iron bit collection that beats the band.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions