VLF

jesus

May 9, 2009
I made a question another place this forum, but I believe here is the correct place by the people who post here in metal detectors relation. My question is if the VLF technology can detect 12 meters down ground with a big coil ( 1mx60cm), I know the problem with big coils, but in a link I found a turkish vlf detector and the vendor says this capacity. Maybe somebody in the forum can explain about VLF technology and this way we can understand and no be robbed with some kinds of claims. Thanks.

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably you can do it in an air test with a big enough loop and a big enough target. But VLF uses induction balance, and when you put the loop to the ground it becomes unbalanced due to mineralization. The bigger the loop, or the higher the power, the worse it gets. So ground depth may be much less. Because of this, super-deep detectors with big loops are usually PI designs.

- Carl

OP
OP
J

jesus

May 9, 2009
Thanks Carl for your input about my question. Carl: If we have a good ground balance device in our VLF detector can we get more power into the ground ?. Thanks.

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not really, because GB doesn't cancel out the ground signal, it just moves it to a place where it is easily ignored. The ground signal is still there, and increasing the TX signal will quickly cause it to overload the RX circuitry.

- Carl

OP
OP
J

jesus

May 9, 2009
Ok. Carl, then we must wait for another technology wich let us go deeper.With this inputs I have saved some good money. Thanks Carl.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread