Vote Re Gaining permission to detect

Captain Loosechange

Nov 24, 2007
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett SeaHunter Mark II, Tesoro Stingray
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wondering what your most common answer to getting permission to detect is. I read all these articles in the MD magazines and it seems that permission is easy to gain, but in my area of the country where I assumed folks were very friendly, 10-1 I get turned down for permission. I have tried various methods and yes I am clean cut and wear clean clothes to ask, I never mention coins, jewelry or treasure but most folks just will not allow me to hunt on their property and I am wondering what everyone else's results are. Thanks

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What is your spiel? How do you approach them - what do you say? Are you offering to split the finds with them - give them whatever you find - 20%? Seems like you get turned down a lot more than I do. I find it to be about 50 / 50 just offering to show the owner what I find. - Terry

OP
OP
Captain Loosechange

Captain Loosechange

Nov 24, 2007
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett SeaHunter Mark II, Tesoro Stingray
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry Soloman said:
What is your spiel? How do you approach them - what do you say? Are you offering to split the finds with them - give them whatever you find - 20%? Seems like you get turned down a lot more than I do. I find it to be about 50 / 50 just offering to show the owner what I find. - Terry
Hi, thanks for the response. I usually never get farther than "Hi my name is _____________ and my hobby is metal detecting and I would like to.., Interrupted at this point by most saying "Oh my Father in law, son, daughter etc etc, has one of those things and is going to go over my yard sometime." No kidding that is the most common reply and second is "Oh I would rather you wouldnt". I have had several yes's but you have got to understand I am asking alot of people and it is 10-1 no. If I see an old house or old place I will ask the homeowner because the way I see it not asking is a definete "no". But it is very frustrating and I ask the "right" way and never mention none of the "trigger" words that lead to no and yes I offer to split the finds. People around here are weird about that sort of stuff. Example: recently I was driving around looking for spots, saw this old old house, run down not being lived in with a spray painted sign on plywood "for sale call xxx-xxx-xxxx" it was an out of state number so I called it, asked if they owned that property and they said yes so I went on to comment on what a lovely old place it was and how I enjoyed the hobby of metal detecting, so I asked if they would mind if I detected the yard and was abruptly cut off with a "No" and then the guy hung up.

painless

Mar 2, 2009
Central TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 - Teknetics Delta
Captain Loosechange said:
Just wondering what your most common answer to getting permission to detect is. I read all these articles in the MD magazines and it seems that permission is easy to gain, but in my area of the country where I assumed folks were very friendly, 10-1 I get turned down for permission. I have tried various methods and yes I am clean cut and wear clean clothes to ask, I never mention coins, jewelry or treasure but most folks just will not allow me to hunt on their property and I am wondering what everyone else's results are. Thanks

I have had for years, made it my policy to turn over ALL historically significant finds to the property owner.
Here in Texas, there is virtually zero public property, so most every hunt has to start with permission.
Most of the time the owners offer to let me keep most of my finds, significant or not. I have had a few goodies get away, but adding that fact to my request has opened many doors for me.

Think about it.

If your home owner's grandmother lost her wedding ring in the front yard back in 1968, do you REALLY want to keep it? Most of us would drive across town to give it back.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In these days of easy litigation most land owners find it easier to just say NO and not put up with the hassle of someone digging on the property. It comes down to catching them in a good mood. Usually you need to be a friend first to even get them to listen to your pleading to hunt their land. They have seen those treasure hunters on TV with shovels and envision you digging holes on the grass. Many detectorist don't know how to get a coin out of the ground without a Lesche or trowel.

NewsMan

Mar 25, 2011
I use my cute as hell three year old daughter for persuasion. I always mention coins... but only coins, "This is how we spend our time together...", which is true. I also offer to return anything personal to the owner. Last example was a church where I offered to return anything related to that church that I found.

I seem to be about 30/70. I have noticed people on obviously interesting land (i.e. historical sites/battlefields, etc...) tend to be less interested - when I'm in position to ask for permission. Don't really live near many battlefields.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've offten tell them I'll split it 50-50,or better yet have a crisp $10 bill,but lately I've just asked some of the older neighbors who have land out in the country,if anyone has ever swung a coil over their land,they usual ask?,what's a coil,I tell 'em and they say come on out. The last place I hunted,the guy told me that it's been in his family for over a 150 years. :hello2:

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
NewsMan said:
I use my cute as hell three year old daughter for persuasion. I always mention coins... but only coins, "This is how we spend our time together...", which is true. I also offer to return anything personal to the owner. Last example was a church where I offered to return anything related to that church that I found.

I seem to be about 30/70. I have noticed people on obviously interesting land (i.e. historical sites/battlefields, etc...) tend to be less interested - when I'm in position to ask for permission. Don't really live near many battlefields.
Exactly!
In essence, your almost like a salesman selling yourself to the client...Not like that! LOL But not stuttering your words, eye contact and confidence will open the doors to most people homes. Doug Snyder (Modern Miner) goes the extra mile, and builds shadow boxes filled with the treasures he finds on the landowners property, and gives them as gifts of appreciation letting him detect the property. THAT'S how you do it

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I never hunt were i need permission ...... Never did never will .... There are to many places to hunt for me were i don't need to beg to hunt............. Yes i said beg to me that is like begging.............

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
The truth of the matter is if you just ask to hunt their property, you are asking them to give you something for nothing. And that is how they see it !
On the other hand if you offer them 50% of the value found, they see this as a fair trade. Your time, there land. I even spice it up a bit by showing them pictures of the valuable rings and historical items I have found. If you do it neat, and happen to find something of value, you will have their neighbors asking you to hunt their yards. Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions