Voyagers! coming out on DVD!!!! FINALLY!

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
http://www.amazon.com/Voyagers-Complete-Meeno-Peluce/dp/B000PFUAN2/ref=sr_1_8/103-6492088-2911023?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1182433054&sr=1-8

This was my absolute favorite show when I was a child! Its finally coming out on DVD! YIPPEE!

Interesting factoid on this show, Jon-Erik Hexum who played Phineas Bogg died on set of a different show he was working on when he put a prop gun to his head and pulled the trigger. The gun was loaded with black powder blanks that shot out a wad of paper that left the barrel at high velocity. At normal distance this would not have caused any injuries, but because it was up against his skull he recieved the full force of the projectile. He died from a piece of paper....

OP
OP
cryptodave

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
jbot said:
Didn't that also happen to Bruce Lee's son?

He was killed by a misfired bullet lodged in a gun. It was lodged in the gun barrel, with fake cartridges loaded holding fireworks explosives. When the fireworks explosives went off, it shot the misfired bullet out like a real bullet does.

Jon-Erik Hexum's death information:
On October 12, 1984, after finishing a scene in which he fired several blank rounds from a .44 Magnum revolver, Hexum's character was supposed to unload the gun and reload it with inert dummy rounds, which was required for the next scene in the script—a procedure that Jon-Erik was not familiar with, and which was usually done by the prop masters. The shooting of the next scene was delayed several times. While waiting for the prop masters to unload the blanks from the gun, Hexum jokingly put the gun up to his temple and allegedly said,

"Let's see if I get myself with this one."
Hexum apparently did not realize that blanks use paper or plastic wadding to seal gun powder into the shell, and that this wadding is propelled out of the barrel of the gun with enough force to cause severe injury or death if the weapon is fired at point-blank range, especially if pointed at a particularly vulnerable spot, such as the temple or the eye. Although the paper wadding in the blank that Hexum discharged did not penetrate his skull,[7] the wad struck him in the temple with enough blunt force trauma to shatter a quarter-sized piece of his skull and propel the pieces into his brain.

VS

Brandon Lee's death information:
On March 31, 1993, there were eight days left before the shooting schedule for The Crow was to be completed. The scene being filmed on this day involved Lee's character Eric Draven walking into his apartment and discovering his girlfriend being raped by thugs. This would subsequently lead to Eric being brutally killed, along with his girlfriend, by the thugs. Actor Michael Massee, playing Funboy, one of the film's villains, was supposed to fire a gun at Lee as he walked into his apartment with groceries.

Because the movie's second unit team were running behind schedule, it was decided that dummy cartridges—cartridges that outwardly appear to be functional, but contain no gunpowder or primer—would be made from real cartridges, which had been brought to the set earlier in production. Bruce Merlin, an effects technician, dismantled the live cartridges by removing the bullets, emptying out the gunpowder, detonating the primer and reinserting the bullets. This rendered the cartridges inoperative but realistic in appearance. Merlin and his propmaster, Daniel Kuttner, took initiative to create some blanks by removing live cartridges and replacing the gunpowder with firework powder; the bullets were not reinserted.

Later, a cartridge with only a primer and a bullet was fired in a pistol; this caused a squib load, in which the primer provided enough force to push the bullet out of the cartridge and into the barrel of the revolver, where it became stuck. The malfunction went unnoticed by the crew, and the same gun was used again later to shoot the death scene, having been re-loaded with blanks. However, the squib load was still lodged in the barrel, and was propelled by the blank cartridge's explosion out of the barrel and into Lee's body. Although the bullet was traveling much slower than a normally fired bullet would be, the bullet's large size and the nearly point-blank firing distance made it powerful enough to severely wound Lee as cameras were rolling at the Carolco Studios in Wilmington, North Carolina. Seconds later, director Alex Proyas stopped the scene, but Lee remained on the floor. Stuntman Coordinator (and Lee's friend) Jeff Imada ran over to him with a paramedic, and discovered a thin slit an inch below and to the right of his navel. By this time, Lee had slipped into unconsciousness and was rushed to the hospital where doctors discovered that a bullet was the cause of the damage. They fought for five hours in an attempt to save him, but at 1:04 PM he was pronounced dead at the age of 28.

Rowdy

Jun 11, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6
cryptodave said:
Because the movie's second unit team were running behind schedule, it was decided that dummy cartridges—cartridges that outwardly appear to be functional, but contain no gunpowder or primer—would be made from real cartridges, which had been brought to the set earlier in production. Bruce Merlin, an effects technician, dismantled the live cartridges by removing the bullets, emptying out the gunpowder, detonating the primer and reinserting the bullets. This rendered the cartridges inoperative but realistic in appearance. Merlin and his propmaster, Daniel Kuttner, took initiative to create some blanks by removing live cartridges and replacing the gunpowder with firework powder; the bullets were not reinserted.

Later, a cartridge with only a primer and a bullet was fired in a pistol; this caused a squib load, in which the primer provided enough force to push the bullet out of the cartridge and into the barrel of the revolver, where it became stuck. The malfunction went unnoticed by the crew, and the same gun was used again later to shoot the death scene, having been re-loaded with blanks. However, the squib load was still lodged in the barrel, and was propelled by the blank cartridge's explosion out of the barrel and into Lee's body.

If that is actually how it happened, that effects crew had no business working with firearms! I've been shooting and reloading for years, and there are so many unsafe acts in that scenario that it's not even funny!!! >:(

OP
OP
cryptodave

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Rowdy said:
cryptodave said:

Later, a cartridge with only a primer and a bullet was fired in a pistol; this caused a squib load, in which the primer provided enough force to push the bullet out of the cartridge and into the barrel of the revolver, where it became stuck. The malfunction went unnoticed by the crew, and the same gun was used again later to shoot the death scene, having been re-loaded with blanks. However, the squib load was still lodged in the barrel, and was propelled by the blank cartridge's explosion out of the barrel and into Lee's body.

If that is actually how it happened, that effects crew had no business working with firearms! I've been shooting and reloading for years, and there are so many unsafe acts in that scenario that it's not even funny!!! >:(

Rowdy, you have never heard about that thing with Lee? Of course, alot of people believe that Triads did it because of something about his father Bruce Lee did or what not... Who knows for sure.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Rowdy: I have been handling firearms, particularly pistols, for some years now, I never assume that a pistol in unloaded until I check it my self.

Properly used they can be life savers, as I can personally show, improperly -------.

I thank the anti firearm group for limiting firearm education and usage to both of these unecessary deaths. Even one hour of instruction, or comon sense, would have prevented both.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Rowdy

Jun 11, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6
cryptodave said:
Rowdy, you have never heard about that thing with Lee? Of course, alot of people believe that Triads did it because of something about his father Bruce Lee did or what not... Who knows for sure.

All I knew was that he died under "mysterious circumstances" while filming the Crow, never knew the particulars until now! As I said, it seems like pretty shoddy workmanship from a professional gaffer, but then, Metallica's Pyro guy did a pretty good job of barbecueing James Hetfield to, so I guess sh#t happens!

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's Hollywood.

I used to be into American War of Independence and Civil War reenacting. There would be some folks in it only for the history with no shooting background and some drawn to it from the shooting sports interest. You could tell the hunters and those with a firearms background from the pure history buffs duing the "skirmish" event. And you can spot this on any TV program that films battles using reenactors vs. actors.

The sportsmen are the ones pointing their guns above the heads of the opposing forces. We just will not aim a firearm at someone or something we aren't intending to kill. It should be drilled into every human, actor or no. Even in "make believe" with loads prepared buy our own hands. And believe me, there have been some real fights that broke out during staged public events from someone popping off a blank load into another guy's face from close range. You also don't want to be found using "blank" wads made of balled-up aluminum foil by a couple angry and brused participants after the battle.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread