Vx3, V3i questions and info

spcfarr2000

Jun 17, 2013
Pittsburgh PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 And Garrett AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Since I have been using my new Vx3 I get a lot of VDI readings that jump all over the place. I was wondering if I have to change my settings or use different coils? And I was also wondering what signals when pin pointing are highest with gold and silver? I know when I pinpoint quarters they are the bottom 2.5 bar. I really wanna learn this machine and wish I knew someone else in my area that had knowledge of it so I could pick their brain lol. I have been trying to read the manual. But I frustrated with not knowing the language. So anyone who has any free advice let me know. Ty

Sent from my DROID RAZR using TreasureNet

Johnnoh

Aug 30, 2008
RI
Detector(s) used
CTX, EQ-600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jumpy VDI's could be a number of things. When in doubt, dig. Once you put in the time (50-100) hours, you will understand what that VX3 is trying to tell you. There could be multiple targets under your coil, multi alloyed metal (trash), decomposing iron, etc.

Silver can hit anywhere from 74-89 depending on depth. I have not found a silver dollar coin, so it's possible the VDI could be low 90's. Mid to high 90's are usually odd shaped rusty iron, but you can tell by the sound and when you try to pinpoint. On the V, the 22.5 frequency (green bar) hits hardest on most clad and always on silver.

There's a ton of great info and lots of folks willing to help on the White's factory forum.

HH

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Clad and silver ring in on 2.5 green frequency not the 22.5. Gold will hit in both the 7.5 and 22.5 depending on size and karat. Lower your sensitivity if you are falsing or getting jumpy VDI's. You normally do not need to go above 6-8 and I have not seen any depth gain on a higher sensitivity. Smaller coils (4x6 shooter) will do better in trashy areas picking the goods out of the iron. The easiest way to learn it is to make you a coin/junk garden in the backyard and practice. You can also try a different filter if you have a highly mineralized soil. Once you learn it you will be vacuuming the coins out of the ground, it's a great machine.

Johnnoh

Aug 30, 2008
RI
Detector(s) used
CTX, EQ-600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry! I always flip that. You'd think after a year is getbitcright.

OP
OP
spcfarr2000

spcfarr2000

Jun 17, 2013
Pittsburgh PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you very much for all of your input. I can't wait to get out there and try all of your feedback. Never really tried to adjust the sensitivity at all. I have just went with factory settings. But I always manual ground balance my vx3. Any other suggestions and tips are greatly appreciated. Also the sidewalk strips in front of houses, should I ask the home owner to detect them? I found a lot of clad in them so far. And didn't k ow if they are worth hunting?

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Older neighborhoods can have some good finds in the strips. It usually belongs to the city but most home owners don't see it that way. You'll have to decide by location really whether you think you need to ask or not. I haven't found much in them myself but you never know. Things show up in all the places that I never thought were worth it. Lol go to the White's website forums. There is a ton of info and programs for the V3i on there.

Brooklynhunter

Jul 16, 2013
Rule of thumb is if its infront of a residential home , its best to ask. If the home owner is taking care of the area. Ie cutting the grass and such. They will most likely have something to say about simeone looking to cut plugs. In Brooklyn such an action could be a capitol offense Lol!

OP
OP
spcfarr2000

spcfarr2000

Jun 17, 2013
Pittsburgh PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank god I don't live in Brooklyn lol. I am glad small town outside of Pittsburgh. And my dad lives even further out and has 197 archers solo there are a lot of great places to hunt just was asking about the strips because I live in town. But I do have good manors to ask first. Don't like being rude or shot lol

texjim

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2009
schuylkill county pa.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites xlt,vx3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not all Silver gives a high vdi. I have found 2 three cent pieces an one was a 35 other 45 vdi. I have found numerous silver rings and they have been all over the vdi range. As far as coins go it depends on how they are laying in the dirt and how deep. You are going to have to spend a little time with your machine and listen to whats it is telling you. I would recommend getting a DD coil for your vx3. I did and have not looked back at the 950 coil unless i got to the beach. good luck..

OP
OP
spcfarr2000

spcfarr2000

Jun 17, 2013
Pittsburgh PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's sounds good. I have a 4"/6" dd coil. But I think I need the 10"?

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree I have both the 950 I figured id try out on my v3i wasnt bad but the 10dd does excell over it now threw my detecting exp I mainly use the sef series of coils seem to be a step above the the dd coils but its all a matter of what ur detecting to good luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread