Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been thinking of buying a Tejon, but have decided to wait on the Golden UMax. Have heard it will be worth the 2 month wait. Maybe end of July or first of August. I am mostly only able to do quick park hunts due to time constraints. I really think this is the most useful machine for my type of hunting. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just looking, the Tejon runs higher frequency and you can ground balance it.

Then again, that's why it cost more.

OP
OP
Fletch88

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just looking, the Tejon runs higher frequency and you can ground balance it.

Then again, that's why it cost more.

GB doesn't seem to be an issue in southern part of GA. Cibola ran good next to my Vaquero. I really like the mult-tones and notch feature.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm assuming the Tejon will go deeper based upon the frequency and being able to adjust the ground balance yourself.

Someone should be able to tell you the depth difference, I haven't owned both.

OP
OP
Fletch88

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yes the Tejon is a much deeper machine from what I am told. But my Vaquero goes as deep as I really want to dig anyway. I think the other features of Golden may serve my needs better than depth of Tejon.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds good. Maybe you can demo one before buying it.

OP
OP
Fletch88

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds good. Maybe you can demo one before buying it.

Not any dealers close to me. Only able to watch YouTube vids.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was lucky, a friend wanted to upgrade and let me use his Cibola for a week.

wheatymike

Dec 31, 2011
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus, Compadre. Deleon.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just traded my Silver uMax for a used Golden uMax(old tone). I will have to say after hunting with my Vaquero and silver for over a year, the multi tones of the Golden are a real change. It is hard to get use to hearing multipule tones when I swing the coil. One thing I am learning with the Golden is to really slow down it trashy spots. The tones need time to be analyzed. You really have to listen for a strong repeatable tone. I think I am going to like the Golden. It seem like a fun machine to learn. I can't speak for all of them, but the one I got air test reasonably deep for a fixed ground balance. Hope this helps. Wheaty.

OP
OP
Fletch88

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok talked to tech dept at Tesoro and a very well known Tesoro fan on Tnet. At this point it's back on with a Tejon! It'll do all I need to do with discrimination and give mega depth when I need it!

OP
OP
Fletch88

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone run a 5.75 widescan on Vaq or Tejon. I've mega trashy area of old iron and aluminum junk everywhere that I tried stock coil on vaquero. Could not seem to discrim out hardly any iron even with discrimination maxed out. Would 5.75 possibly allow me to hit targets between all the junk iron?

Last edited:

Dign-nbama

Sep 28, 2012
North Alabama
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star, Minelab Etrac,, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey guys if I may comment here,, I own both the Vaquero and Golden Umax both are good machines with their own voices, if you know what I mean, going to purchase a 5.75 for my Vaquero, I really want to try one in my trashy parks and school yards, but the Golden is a whole new puppy,, the very first day out with her I found 2 rings,, I pounded this area with a Bounty Hunter landstar and Garrrett AT Pro, and man was I surprised when these 2 rings show up,, here is link to pics of that hunt below, just like we've all heard learning the language is the key,.. HH
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/members/45602-albums3088.html

OP
OP
Fletch88

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys if I may comment here,, I own both the Vaquero and Golden Umax both are good machines with their own voices, if you know what I mean, going to purchase a 5.75 for my Vaquero, I really want to try one in my trashy parks and school yards, but the Golden is a whole new puppy,, the very first day out with her I found 2 rings,, I pounded this area with a Bounty Hunter landstar and Garrrett AT Pro, and man was I surprised when these 2 rings show up,, here is link to pics of that hunt below, just like we've all heard learning the language is the key,.. HH
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/members/45602-albums3088.html

Just ran 5.75 widescan on the V last night in real trashy spot by my shop. Picked 2 penny's and 3 zincolns in about 10 min. Have ran thru spot several times with standard coil and an AT Pro. Like it so far!

Scanman

Jul 27, 2013
NW MI
Detector(s) used
Cortes, Lobo Super Traq, Golden Umax 2.0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been thinking of buying a Tejon, but have decided to wait on the Golden UMax. Have heard it will be worth the 2 month wait. Maybe end of July or first of August

Tesoro told me the new Golden Umax would not be available until around Christmas?

OP
OP
Fletch88

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm no longer waiting! I've kept my Vaquero which is a fun little machine, I've since drank the red and blue koolaid from Down-under! Lol. :)

Scanman

Jul 27, 2013
NW MI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice, If I stay active in this hobby, maybe I can convince myself to throw down for a ML.

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
Tesoro told me the new Golden Umax would not be available until around Christmas?

I saw on Tesoro's website under the golden Umax that they're coming out with a 2.0. I might even get one of these after I get the Tiger Shark & Tejon around Christmas.
Did you get the upgrade on your's already? Just saw under your machines the 2.0.

The Golden µMax is getting a new and improved tone change, starting with serial number: 190900. The manual will have "Rev 2.0" on the front. All Golden µMax detectors that are currently being shipped have this change.
Some Customers had difficulties separating the tones, so we separated them further. By changing the pitches, we have made it easier to identify all 4 tones clearly, making it easier to identify targets.
The order of the has also changed...with lower tones to identify potential trash, and higher tones reflecting valuable targets like silver and nickels. See the chart below.

New Tones, Conductivity Range
Ferrous/Iron/Foil Low
Nickel Medium High
Pull Tab/Zinc Penny Medium Low
Silver High

Old Tones, Conductivity Range
Ferrous/Iron/Foil Low
Nickel Medium Low
Pull Tab/Zinc Penny Medium High
Silver High
The notch-width control must be adjusted while air testing a nickel with the discriminate control turned completely down to "min". With the notch switch in eitherwide or narrow position, adjust the notch-width to obtain a good target sound on nickel. This will give you four target tones. If the notch-width is NOT set correctly, you will only hear three tones. This is the correct way to setup a Golden µMax, regardless of whether it has the new or the older version.
If you have a NEW (still in the box) Golden µMax detector, you can have the tones changed for $25.00. If your detector is USED, the tone change will cost $50.00.

Scanman

Jul 27, 2013
NW MI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the Golden Umax 2.0 S/N 192730. It's my understanding that Tesoro may be upgrading the Golden?, which is do around xmas. I wish I had more info but Tesoro seems tight lipped. Anyone else have info on the Golden?

OP
OP
Fletch88

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the Golden Umax 2.0 S/N 192730. It's my understanding that Tesoro may be upgrading the Golden?, which is do around xmas. I wish I had more info but Tesoro seems tight lipped. Anyone else have info on the Golden?

I was told by Tesoro 2 months ago it would be another couple months. Now you are saying Xmas?

Scanman

Jul 27, 2013
NW MI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was told by Tesoro 2 months ago it would be another couple months. Now you are saying Xmas?

See post # 14

I am not sure what is going on over at Tesoro?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread