Walked in, dug, made withdrawal

scaupus

Apr 20, 2011
Not too far from a beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yesterday, I felt i had used up our nearby city park from which I had pulled 2 sterling rings last week. I felt the need for fresh turf. I decided to hit the soccer field adjacent to our nearby elementary school. I picked a spot to start, and the very first beep I dug turned out to be a nice little vermeil bracelet (gold-plated sterling), just shy of 12 grams. It was really cool just walking in and digging it up as if I'd known exactly where it was!

Attachments

• vermeil-bracelet.jpg
    vermeil-bracelet.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 1,062
  • vermeil-bracelet.jpg
    vermeil-bracelet.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 1,061
  • vermeil-bracelet2.jpg
    vermeil-bracelet2.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 1,062
Upvote 0

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NICE FIND...
SOUNDS LIKE YOU NEED TO GO MORE OFTEN.

SOME FOLKS HAVE ALL THE LUCK!

I CAN'T FIND ENOUGH GOOD STUFF TO PAY FOR MY BATTS. AND I GOT NO EXCUSE.

HAPPY HUNTING
:coffee2: :coffee2:

PROSPECTORMIKEL

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
That's a nice find, S !
IMO you should never hesitate, but always 'think outside the box' and search areas you feel may be rewarding. Working a grid is indeed a valuable method, yet if your instinct is productive, that's the best way.
It's better to be lucky than to know what you're doing!
Good luck
rmptr

OP
OP
scaupus

scaupus

Apr 20, 2011
Not too far from a beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rmptr said:
That's a nice find, S !
IMO you should never hesitate, but always 'think outside the box' and search areas you feel may be rewarding. Working a grid is indeed a valuable method, yet if your instinct is productive, that's the best way.
It's better to be lucky than to know what you're doing!
Good luck
rmptr
I hear ya, brother.

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the bracelet.

Last week I went to a park that I've been getting some old coins out of and the maintenance crew were all over the place so I went over to another local park. First signal was a nice big silver ring. Sometime things happen or you just get a gut feeling and it pays off.

Good luck on future hunts.
NJ

Historyhound

Nov 2, 2006
Schenectady New York
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Very nice looking, but having been made in China, there's a high chance that it's a pot metal bogusly marked as being silver. Those Chinese just LOVE TO DEFRAUD. But nice find in any case.

OP
OP
scaupus

scaupus

Apr 20, 2011
Not too far from a beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Historyhound said:
Very nice looking, but having been made in China, there's a high chance that it's a pot metal bogusly marked as being silver. Those Chinese just LOVE TO DEFRAUD. But nice find in any case.

LOL. I imagine that's very true. But this bracelet was quite tarnished when it came out of the ground, and cleaned up nicely with Tarn-X. Also, it has the right heft, unless they loaded it with lead, which they don't seem to have a problem doing, judging by all the toy recalls. But if it contained lead, I think i'd have seen some lead oxide leaching out after being in the ground for some time.

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'M NO EXPERT, BY ANY STRETCH, BUT I DON'T THINK THAT TINY LITTLE LATCH WOULD HOLD UP IF THERE WAS MUCH LEAD IN THE MIX. I'D TAKE IT TO A JEWELER AND GET I PRO TO DECIDE FOR YOU.

:icon_scratch:

JUST A THOUGHT ...
PROSPECTORMIKEL

OP
OP
scaupus

scaupus

Apr 20, 2011
Not too far from a beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PROSPECTORMIKEL said:
I'M NO EXPERT, BY ANY STRETCH, BUT I DON'T THINK THAT TINY LITTLE LATCH WOULD HOLD UP IF THERE WAS MUCH LEAD IN THE MIX. I'D TAKE IT TO A JEWELER AND GET I PRO TO DECIDE FOR YOU.

:icon_scratch:

JUST A THOUGHT ...
PROSPECTORMIKEL
here's the same item for sale online, but with a slightly different charm.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/74713966/vintage-sterling-vermeil-bracelet-with

She's asking $32.50 with shipping. On mine, though, the goldplating has worn off in quite a few places, either as a result of the heavy tarnish from the silver damaging the goldplating, or else the silver tarnished where the goldplating had worn off, I'm not sure which. Anyway, I'm satisfied that it's real silver, I think I have a pretty good sense for when something is silver and when its base metal :help:. :laughing7:

I found a little ring on the beach Saturday, completely black, I scratched at it with a steel blade and I just got more black. I'd never seen tarnish that thick, I wasn't sure it was possible, and so thought maybe it was a base metal of some sort. Also, the surface seemed rough. My mother was watching and dismissed it as junk. At home, I dropped it in tarn-x for an hour, rubbed it with magic wadding, and poof, there it was "Mex 925" and a hallmark. Also initials on the front plate that I had not been able to read, "SEK". It's a nice, bright little ring now. I just had a sense that it had to be sterling. From the feel, the weight, the form, all added up to sterling, despite its cruddy appearance. I once took an artisan-made sterling bracelet in to a jeweler near my home for his opinion about its provenance, and he wanted $75 before he'd even look at it. I think I need to make friends with a jeweler.

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I WAS RIGHT ABOUT ONE THING!
I AM NO EXPERT...... $75 TO LOOK. NO ONE HAS EVER GIVEN ME A NICKEL TO LOOK AT ANYTHING. I GOTTA RAISE MY OPINION PRICE. :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: :read2:
:coffee2: :coffee2:

HH
PM

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread