Walking Liberty halves hoard in CWR

CJ9

Dec 15, 2018
NYC area
Primary Interest:
Other
Went into bank this afternoon and they had $30 in CWR halves. Took them all, and to my surprise all solid silver Walking Liberty with a number of the coins from the 1940s XF condition.
Also included in the roll was a 1916-D obverse. As a bonus, one of the rolls had $11. 62 coins in all.

halves1 4-30.jpg

1916-D obverse
halves2 4-30.jpg

halves3 4-30.jpg

halves4 4-30.jpg

halves5 4-30.jpg

Thanks for looking and HH

Upvote 0

Greastart

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2014
Far North Corner of CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and a Garrett Carrot
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Went into bank this afternoon and they had $30 in CWR halves. Took them all, and to my surprise all solid silver Walking Liberty with a number of the coins from the 1940s XF condition.
Also included in the roll was a 1916-D obverse. As a bonus, one of the rolls had $11. 62 coins in all.

View attachment 1922304

1916-D obverse
View attachment 1922308

View attachment 1922305

View attachment 1922306

View attachment 1922307

Thanks for looking and HH

A CRHers Wet One....Congrats for a super score!

Buchsy

Oct 14, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice - Especially the 1916 D Obverse. Not something you come across often (i.e. ever). I got a Walker roll that came out of a teller's tray but nothing like that!

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. I don't know how I missed this post but congrats on a great score. I recently got 23 CWRs, all someone else's dumps but I felt committed when I said "I'll take them all..." I'll never again take re-wrapped coins in new Loomis wrappers with one end taped.

Had I seen this sooner, I would have posted "what, no flowing hair or draped bust halves?"

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guess grandpa died and the grandson needed some Monster and smokes.

Coin liquidation should have been a duty of the executor of the estate - but there is great variation (putting it kindly) in asset disposition. Charles Dickens would have many modern examples of poor behavior to use today.

OP
OP
C

CJ9

Dec 15, 2018
NYC area
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow. I don't know how I missed this post but congrats on a great score. I recently got 23 CWRs, all someone else's dumps but I felt committed when I said "I'll take them all..." I'll never again take re-wrapped coins in new Loomis wrappers with one end taped.

Had I seen this sooner, I would have posted "what, no flowing hair or draped bust halves?"

Thanks. I haven't had a score like this in 10+ years.
Yeah, I have learned not to take all the rolls anymore (at least at first) because I don't want someone else's dump. So when they say they have many rolls, I take a sample ($40-$50 worth) and see if they are someone's dump or not. I peek when I leave the bank and if I think they are not someone's dump, I walk right back in and ask for the rest - I just say you know you never have these, so I will take the rest of them. In the past I have gotten what you got -(the MWR re-wrapped) - which is a total bummer and is one of the reasons I only get $40-$50 at first.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions