Wall made of large rocks, any ideas?

n01d3x

Apr 24, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My buddy took some pics of an area he has easy access to somewhere near the town of Downieville, CA. Obviously this area is known for huge deposits. While out exploring he found these large walls made of large stack rocks. They form a sort of ditch. At the tallest points he says they are somewhere over 20'. I'm relatively sure there was a drift mine above where they blasted the side of the mountain with water. I've seen flumes made of large rocks before but they have all been made of rounded river rock from ancient channels. These seem to more jagged. I know it's pretty hard to know for sure, but any ideas why they were built?
3.jpg 2.jpg 1.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

n01d3x

Apr 24, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are signs of material running over the side of a cliff, though a little ways up, its not too far away. Of course it could just be from winter run off. He hasn't been about the cliff to check that area out yet.
4.jpg

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Maybe a ground sluice? No idea why they would be that tall though but they may have routed water to a reservoir to supply water for a mill or just for personal use.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

n01d3x

Apr 24, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Downhill from this area is a fairly good size creek that was dredged pretty hard not too long ago. We've found relatively coarse gold but very little of it in the creek.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe a ground sluice? No idea why they would be that tall though but they may have routed water to a reservoir to supply water for a mill or just for personal use.

yea i agree i have something like that on my land

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
the chinese where very neat and sometimes they did this to get the rocks out of the way.i worry if this is that??
brad

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread