Walmart to open Express stores..........

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.......don't think the economy is going to remain in the down turn? Think again. Walmart is actually losing so many sales to the various dollar stores that they just announced they will be opening 14,000 sq ft express stores in an recoop that lost business. Dollar stores have been very profitable in the past several years in a market that is rapidly and steadily growing, and expected to continue to grow. I think this is a pretty good measuring stick as to just how our declining economy is going to undergo change over the next several years.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sadder still is the fact that most items in the dollar store are over a dollar too. :laughing7:

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
spartacus53 said:
Sadder still is the fact that most items in the dollar store are over a dollar too. :laughing7:

It will be interesting to see what Walmart, "exactly", has in their express stores? Going a step further then the competition, you'll also be able to shop them online with your order being ready for pickup in one hour.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Orders being ready for pickup. Is still not good enough for me. I want it delivered like Domino's, delivered wothin a half hour, or it's free. ;)

I haye using a Blackberry to reply too!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
spartacus53 said:

The quality of items sold at the Dollar store suck big time.....

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
The saddest part about this story is that WalMart has played their role in ruining our economy.

They used to advertise that they supported US manufacturers, but then started forcing manufacturers to set up production shops in China. If the manufacturers didn't do as WalMart asked, then WalMart would end their relationship, and go set up the shops in China themselves. On many occasions, WalMart set up the shop for the US manufacturer, making it all that much easier.

And, as consumers, we bought all those goods by the shipload...and we wonder why we don't have any decent paying jobs left in this nation???

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
self destruction 101 -- how to destroy a economy -- buy cheaply made crap made in foreign "sweat shop" countries in a vain attempt to try to save a buck because your cheap and do not want to pay the cost of quality made US goods (that keep good "factory" jobs in the USA * --since the cheap stuff will not last -it has to be replaced over and over again so in the long haul -no money is really saved - only jobs are lost , factories closed and our american lifestyle ruined )

when I was in Japan -- you saw almost NO american or "foreign" made cars on "their" streets -- to buy FOREIGN was unheard of since it undermines their "local" bussiness --

bussiness is war * --if country #1 can get another country #2 to buy key elements of their economy from #1 --- #1 can then control country #2 ability to make things --exsample --the earthquake in japan has shut off "vital car part supplies" normally shipped from japan to american car factories --thus halting american car manufacturing at some GM factories. wake up folks.

in "the art of war" --it says to weaken your enemy "BEFORE" going to war via trading with them * -- you do not need to make "profiet" only to cover your cost and keep your people working and buzy -- sell at "cost" to your foe -- this will wreck his industries and idle his workers -over time they will lose their productive skills and will come to relay upon you to "provide for them"-- in effect you will own them and be able to force them to do your will.--if not then if you must take them by "force" they will be greatly weakened and easier to defeat by the "industrail weaking" that occured.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Again, yet another American giant is struggling to sustain it's share of the market. I think there will be many others facing the same situation in the years ahead as our economy continues to gear down.

Zephyr

Nov 26, 2006
I've only noticed the chain "dollar stores" still hanging around. Most of the indies disappeared a few years ago when the strip mall rents went up. WallyWorld may get into the market, but they're gonna get burned when their stuff doesn't sell like they think it will...

KEYSHUNTER

Sep 29, 2007
florida keys
Detector(s) used
;whites dual PI
stores that sell stuff for one dollar?just this last week the price of food is going up to the point were my family may go with out on some items...i can pay it ,but were i spent 140.00 is now 200. ????

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Always Buy my Coffee Makers at Family Dollar .
Usually run about $15 Bucks And last a few Years. Chinese :headbang:

Last time I Bought Coffee Filters there
I Had to put pinholes in the Bottoms.
"Melitta" ?
They wouldn't Work like a filter,
& Instead would Fill up & Flow over the top :dontknow:

& I Always Get my Cleaning Supplies There.
no place cheaper here that I Know.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jeff of pa said:
I Always Buy my Coffee Makers at Family Dollar .
Usually run about $15 Bucks And last a few Years. Chinese :headbang:

Last time I Bought Coffee Filters there
I Had to put pinholes in the Bottoms.
"Melitta" ?
They wouldn't Work like a filter,
& Instead would Fill up & Flow over the top :dontknow:

& I Always Get my Cleaning Supplies There.
no place cheaper here that I Know.

I use to buy my cleaning supplies there but noticed quickly they were not the same quality, dish soap did not last long before the suds were gone and no longer would cut the grease, detergent was the same way. The only things we buy there are discontinued items no longer available at the major stores and small odds and ends..... We may go once a month if that often.

S

Smee

The "express" part will probably involve fewer checkers. Wal Mart has been on a tear outfitting stores to use the RFID tags. A friend of mine has been working the stores doing the retrofits. These involve new hardware and software (when they go in, the locals are told that the computer network in the store is getting overhauled) so that after you fill your shopping cart, a computer will read all the RFID chips on the merchandise in your cart and tell you how much to pay.

Fewer human workers = lower operating costs.

They've been busy working towards totally RFID compliant stores (inventory would also be automatic) for years. http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/tech-news/wal-mart-issues-rfid-mandate/1946

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smee said:
The "express" part will probably involve fewer checkers. Wal Mart has been on a tear outfitting stores to use the RFID tags. A friend of mine has been working the stores doing the retrofits. These involve new hardware and software (when they go in, the locals are told that the computer network in the store is getting overhauled) so that after you fill your shopping cart, a computer will read all the RFID chips on the merchandise in your cart and tell you how much to pay.

Fewer human workers = lower operating costs.

They've been busy working towards totally RFID compliant stores (inventory would also be automatic) for years. http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/tech-news/wal-mart-issues-rfid-mandate/1946

This would be the Only thing to stop me from shopping
Walmart & Going to Mom & Pop's Stores.

I'd pay more somwhere else.
Then pay for a computer to ring me up,
Unless I get a 25% discount.
& I Don't mean after they raise their Prices 50%

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
The truth of the matter is that things are made in the country with the cheapest labor. As that country prospers their labor rate cost rises and their standard of living raises. They get to the point where they price themselves out of the manufacturing business. Then the next low labor price country takes over. Etc, etc, etc. The world operates in cycles, don't you see? Frank

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
GREAT THREAD !
Jeff why the heck don't we have a BANNER for TN's greatest threads? :icon_scratch:

Anyway, oh ya...Dollar stores rock! Not all "dollar stores" are "dollar stores." One branch actually is but I forget the name it goes under just now.

Basically a dollar store sells us that Chinese crap we all love (don't deny it) for only a 300 to 1000 percent markup (cheap!). Wally World (and all the other Wally type stores) is really hurting. I knew this a long time ago from inside info. If this new strategy for Wally doesn't work, they're toast.

By the way, it's not just the dollar stores killing them and others like them. Amazon.com, ebay, and other new online "super stores" are killing all the big overhead realtime stores. The world has shifted to online shopping. Today I buy 80% of my toys online (and I buy a lot of toys).

Case in point, my printer retails for about $250. A recent sale at Office Max had it for about $170. I got it off Amazon.com for $87 and FREE shipping! I've had it for months now and it's awesome. And it came will full ink cartrages (cartrages alone cost over $100 at Wallmart).

What really cracks me up is when I find dollar store stuff in Goodwill for more than it sells at the dollar store.

As for the economy, I'm 63 and have witnessed dooms day on the horizon for most of my life. Back in the late 50's they talked about cooling the center of the earth because we'd soon burn up. Along with that, the Russians would soon nuke us so we all built fallout shelters. In the Nam 70's the end was near again. We all bought Mother Earth News subscriptions and made our own grain fuel (white lightning). Now that at least was a good idea.

Today they're are so many RVs on our highways the traffic is dooms day all on it's own. Most poor folks I know have a Wii and Blackberry. They buy their food with a welfare Bridge Card.

To sum up the economy and the mindset of this present world, watch the movie "Exit Through The Gift Shop."

I think I've had too much home made fuel!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Michigan Badger said:
As for the economy, I'm 63 and have witnessed dooms day on the horizon for most of my life. Back in the late 50's they talked about cooling the center of the earth because we'd soon burn up. Along with that, the Russians would soon nuke us so we all built fallout shelters. In the Nam 70's the end was near again. We all bought Mother Earth News subscriptions and made our own grain fuel (white lightning). Now that at least was a good idea.

Today they're are so many RVs on our highways the traffic is dooms day all on it's own. Most poor folks I know have a Wii and Blackberry. They buy their food with a welfare Bridge Card.

To sum up the economy and the mindset of this present world, watch the movie "Exit Through The Gift Shop."

I think I've had too much home made fuel!

I'm with you MB, I remember and lived through the Cuban Missile Crisis, also in the Air Force during the height of the Cold War when the USSR would launch fleet of Bear Bombers towards us over Bearing Sea to see where we responded from and how we responded using their satellites, we did the same thing, anyone who has ever watched the movie "Fail Safe" can see it some what.

When it happened we put every long range bomber with nukes in the air headed to "fail safe" points and had missiles ready to launch.....I stuck my head between my legs and was ready to kiss my butt good bye so many times.... All it would have taken was one tiny mistake and "that's all folks"......

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Michigan Badger said:
Case in point, my printer retails for about $250. A recent sale at Office Max had it for about $170. I got it off Amazon.com for $87 and FREE shipping! I've had it for months now and it's awesome. And it came will full ink cartrages (cartrages alone cost over $100 at Wallmart).

My Printer purchased About 3 Years ago
at Wallmart Cost under $30.00 & Had a full ink cartrage.

The Cartrages Cost $25.00 & It only takes one ;D

If My printer Wears out I'll Throw another $5.00
out & Get them both again If they still cost That Much

Printers Dropped $10.00 each Time I had
to buy a New one

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The stores are not really going to be in competition with the Dollar stores, just smaller versions of Walmarts.

"Executives with Wal-Mart Stores Inc. of Bentonville told attendees at an investor conference in New York that it plans to open 30-40 smaller stores this year in rural and urban areas,

Wal-Mart plans to building its first "Express" stores, which are less than one-tenth the size of its average supercenter, next week in Gentry in northwest Arkansas

Wal-Mart spokesman Steve Restivo confirmed the Arkansas store openings........Some of the new stores will include mid-sized Neighborhood Market locations of 30,000 to 60,000 square feet, and the rest will be smaller. Simon said today that the Neighborhood Market format will be renamed “Walmart Market.” The company also will introduce more stores on university campuses, he said."

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I asked the boss and she said the good dollar store is DOLLAR TREE.

I'm one of those nasty (rip people off) artists and sometimes I find nice small frames at the TREE for a buck. I can paint them wild colors for the kids. Kids like the sickest artwork these days. That's right up my alley. :thumbsup:

Anyway, how did we get on this subject? I've got to look back and see what this thread was about.

Okay, this is the thread post:
".......don't think the economy is going to remain in the down turn? Think again. Walmart is actually losing so many sales to the various dollar stores that they just announced they will be opening 14,000 sq ft express stores in an recoop that lost business. Dollar stores have been very profitable in the past several years in a market that is rapidly and steadily growing, and expected to continue to grow. I think this is a pretty good measuring stick as to just how our declining economy is going to undergo change over the next several years."

I agree. The economy is diffinitely in "change" mode.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread