Wanna search for a meteorite?

barec2

Nov 22, 2004
I posted this on FB but I realized that this is a more appropriate forum that may lead to finding an answer:

Alright; so I'm sitting on my sofa this morning checking my email when I hear the sound of waves pounding on the beach outside. This is odd because this time of year there are no boats to cause wakes and there was obviously no wind. Calm as death. At first I thought it was high tide and the storm had whipped up some waves. (I was still half-awake) Soooo.....

I headed out on to the deck to see just how high the water was. When I got on the deck I noticed that not only was the water very low, one of the lowest low tides I've seen here, but that the waves were radiating out from a spot of churned up water about 50 yards off shore. It looked as though something really big had splashed down into the river and had stirred up the water. Bubbles, foam etc. Really strange 'cause we have geese and other water birds landing out there all the time and they splash but come nowhere near making waves. Very curious. I was gonna let it pass but I thought that it was strange and as it was warm out I went to grab the kayak.
I dragged the kayak over the seawall and down the beach to the waters edge where I noticed the normally crystal clear water was really muddied and cloudy. I grabbed my paddle and pushed the kayak out into the water. Even 25 yards from shore the river is only about 2 feet deep at low tide and though cloudy I could see the bottom. I paddled out into the area where I'd seen the bubbles and where the concentric rings had seemed to emanate from. There the water seemed deeper and was too cloudy to see the bottom. It was also foggy, the air was still and motionless and no one to be seen on either side along the shore. It was actually kinda creepy and without a life jacket sitting so close to the water in a kayak I got a bit uncomfortable and decided to head in. Still don't know what it was that fell to earth but it had to be bigger than a basketball and smaller than a refrigerator, based upon the bubbling area. Any ideas? I know that if the next time you see me I look the same but appear emotionless and dull.....(Check to see if there's a bellybutton.)
November 15 at 9:05pm · Delete

paseclipse

Jul 10, 2005
Pasadena, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX4000, Minelab SD2100, White's GMT, Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Barec, I read this and I'm wondering why you think a meteorite may have landed nearby you like you describe? I would imagine you would have heard sonic booms or some sort of sound. If anything I would imagine a meteorite landing in the water would displace it instead of make it recede.

OP
OP
B

barec2

Nov 22, 2004
paseclipse said:
Hi Barec, I read this and I'm wondering why you think a meteorite may have landed nearby you like you describe? I would imagine you would have heard sonic booms or some sort of sound. If anything I would imagine a meteorite landing in the water would displace it instead of make it recede.

No recession, at least not in the water, it was low tide. Unexpected because I never pay attention to the tides and am used to hearing the water, it's an estuary that leads into buzzards bay, being very calm unless it's wind whipped. The Leonid's came in the following evening and I've seen quite a few meteors over the last several weeks.

I'm not sure what it was. I've seen very low meteors at Dolly Sods in WV, very high altitude, for the East coast, low light pollution levels and clear skies. Never heard any sonic booms then. As for hearing them most recently I was a bit groggy, just waking up, and may not have heard any, if they existed.

I believed, at the time, that it was probably toilet ice off a plane from Logan or Green airports, both nearby. But with all the meteoric activity lately, and too much T.net reading I was curious as to whether it could have been 'extra-terrestrial', as opposed to extra 'baggage'.

paseclipse

Jul 10, 2005
Pasadena, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX4000, Minelab SD2100, White's GMT, Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi barec2, groggy or not theres no mistaking a sonic boom. When a sonic boom is heard from a meteor that usually means your within 60 miles (I think thats the number) of the fall. When you see meteors falling (including the Leonids) in the sky those meteors never make it to the ground because they're small dust particles and the annual meteor showers are usually part of a comets tail. It's fireballs that have a good chance of producing meteorites. Also when you see meteors and fireballs they quite often appear a lot closer than they actually are. Thats why a sonic boom is the key.

From the sounds of it, I'd say most likely a meteor falling out of the sky did not produce what you saw.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions