wanna vote on this old timer?

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Flippin Stick n good luck :)
Good morning all! K, my best friend found this nice old piece a few days ago, i am sure of its exact location in the desert southwest, he does not collect points so i offered him a old pellet gun for a trade. it does have a small tip nick, dangit, nicely shaped and also has basal grinding "smooth as a babys bottom" from base to where the serrations start. for the type in my area im not sure what to classify this guy as.... so lets hear your opinions n facts. All the options i listed above do not have any types for our area,except for zephyr. closest i can get to is zephyr but it seems a little more Auriculate for a Zephyr, hmmmmmmm
Thanks
p.s. this is the one i was talking about Bill, a little smaller than i thought.

Attachments

• CIMG9976.JPG
    CIMG9976.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 901
  • CIMG9977.JPG
    CIMG9977.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 902
  • CIMG9975.JPG
    CIMG9975.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 889
  • CIMG9974.JPG
    CIMG9974.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 912
Upvote 0

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
Calling all Neanderthals . . . :hello:

Or you could e-mail a picture to Tony Baker. I've found him friendly, helpful and vastly knowledgeable.

MANCHU

May 29, 2009
West Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a great find Chong !!! Tell him i would have given him two pellet guns for it and some pellets, LOL !! Bill

SoIll

Oct 6, 2008
Il
I voted BL, but I'm sure it's called something else down there. Still a late paleo killer.

comparison

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
I voted other and may possibly be Paisano, based on location and appearance. It is difficult to tell, however, it looks like a Dalton, but those are more E. Tx. right? We don't know where it was found though, do we?
Oh, well, a fun post.
Thanks,
BW

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice trade. I voted but I would not bet my Red Ryder on it :laughing7: The base looks Daltonish to me?
Good post :thumbsup: Look forward to see what the experts say.
HH
TnMtns

OP
OP
chong2

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
This one is driving me crazy.. yes san jose crossed my mind, it compares nothing to a san jose a have, but the grainding and base looks much earlier than san, and prob is not much flaking to tell, and location was in SW New Mexico, on the edge of a ravine ;) so location noted, what the heck is the bad boy????? this is getting exciting started out pottery era, then late archaic, to late archaic and to late paleo, mr folsom, here i come :P

I have to admit that the classifications on here are all Greek to me being a Canadian Prairie boy. It reminds me of an Oxbow point minus the serration. If I had to guess...3,000 to 5,000 years old? I'm out of my league here but I want to say that it is a beauty and a great trade for an old pellet gun.
WTG,
Dave.

OP
OP
chong2

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
k, well Tony wrote me back this morning and suggested part of the Armijo cluster :icon_scratch: He is very knowledgeable with paleo era, from my area. i am still dunno, dunno, dunno

Anyone have a moment to explain this? :lurk:
I am lost :-\

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
I didn't vote but sure looks beaver to me. :thumbsup:

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
It could look like a lot of points, but isn't. Beaver lake don't occur that far west..or even close to it. The same goes for Quad, and Dalton. The manufacturing is also mucho different on it than any of the fore mentioned types.

I agree with Smurufett and Tony Baker...kinda. The name "Armijo" itself is pretty generic, about like saying "Kirk". Armijo is a type, but also a cluster of several different types. San Jose is one of those types, along with Bajada, Trujillo and a few others. Out of the points from the Armijo phase, your point is closest to the San Jose. However, if you want to be safe, just say of the Armijo cluster.

Here, I'm going to bore to you tears real quick.

Many of the point types are of clusters, and sometimes it's more correct to just try and associate them with that instead of a distinct type. Let's take the Snyders for instance. Not only is the Snyders a "type", it's also a cluster, or assemblage of types. Grand, Gibson, Mackinaw, Carter, Norton and a few others are all variations from the Snyders Cluster (Afinis). They are also all of the Hopewell Culture. But..not all Hopewell are Snyders (Dickson, Waubesa, etc, etc). It's like saying all siamese are cats, but not all cats are siamese. Make sense?

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neanderthal said:
It could look like a lot of points, but isn't. Beaver lake don't occur that far west..or even close to it. The same goes for Quad, and Dalton. The manufacturing is also mucho different on it than any of the fore mentioned types.

I agree with Smurufett and Tony Baker...kinda. The name "Armijo" itself is pretty generic, about like saying "Kirk". Armijo is a type, but also a cluster of several different types. San Jose is one of those types, along with Bajada, Trujillo and a few others. Out of the points from the Armijo phase, your point is closest to the San Jose. However, if you want to be safe, just say of the Armijo cluster.

Here, I'm going to bore to you tears real quick.

Many of the point types are of clusters, and sometimes it's more correct to just try and associate them with that instead of a distinct type. Let's take the Snyders for instance. Not only is the Snyders a "type", it's also a cluster, or assemblage of types. Grand, Gibson, Mackinaw, Carter, Norton and a few others are all variations from the Snyders Cluster (Afinis). They are also all of the Hopewell Culture. But..not all Hopewell are Snyders (Dickson, Waubesa, etc, etc). It's like saying all siamese are cats, but not all cats are siamese. Make sense?
I think Matt has solved your case for you. This gets the big green check marked solved.
Great topic and I liked the chance to be able to vote. :laughing7:
TnMtns

OP
OP
chong2

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Neanderthal, you never bore with your typings, if you are boring someone, that sucks, i have seen many people in here, first just saying look, i found a arrowhead, and then they get really interested, and learn more about them. Me 4 example, i just liked picking them up, but now, i study them, i want to know everysingle thing there is to know about them, its a endless journey. im "trying" to read Lithics, macroscope, but i just have trouble following, its still to much 4 me. i hope to go to school 4 this this next semester, but with so much going on in my life, im just not sure i can do it.

makes sense completly, i am aware of the "clusters" idea, example, Scottsbluff includes many diff types, including the cody knife, geeze i would love a cody knife:)

truth be told, i was sure pretty sure Archaic, but had some of that hope it was a paleo traveled down here from the east..... it "looks" just like the ones from the east. so yes TN, you can shut me up, by me putting a GAINT green check on the post :P
Thsnks everyone for the info, and opinions
and good job Smurufett

dblski

Mar 18, 2009
SoIll,
I have one just like the one in your pic and have been told it is a Qaud. Is that your take on yours, since we are close to the same area I bet they are the same type. Only bad part is mine is missing an ear.
Jake

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread