Want to buy new detector

woodcutter

Greenie
Dec 1, 2003
Brandon SD
I know this question has probably been asked dozens of times but I would like some advice on which detector to buy.

I have owned a Whites Spectrum XLT in the past but no longer own it. I am going to buy a new detector before spring. I believe I will go with another Whites but don't know much about the newer DFX or MXT.

What are the differences, are any easier to use? I mainly detect school yards, parks and home sites. Very little beaches here in South Dakota.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Upvote 0

scotty

Oct 12, 2003
central missouri
Woodcutter;
How did you like the XLT? I use one of those. I have no experience with a DFX or MXT. My son has a IDX Pro and really likes it. He had a QXT before that and didn't like it, too hard to get ground balanced. I been thinking of trying the MXT myself, just because of the favorable posts I have seen on the different forums. Tough decision. Hope whatever one you choose does you a good job of detecting, which I feel the Whites do that very well. I like their balance, color, looks, easyness to use, and break down for traveling. HH. Scotty

Attachments

• IMG_0769.JPG
    IMG_0769.JPG
    125.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0788.JPG
    IMG_0788.JPG
    203.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0828.JPG
    IMG_0828.JPG
    142.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 2 Ring Day.JPG
    2 Ring Day.JPG
    206.7 KB · Views: 21
OP
OP
W

woodcutter

Greenie
Dec 1, 2003
Brandon SD
Scotty,
I liked the Spectrum XLT alot. I guess that is why I want another Whites. Easy to use, comfortable, made good finds. I haven't owned anything other than a White's though. Years ago I had a 5000 Di Pro I believe. Hoping to get some input on the MXT and the DFX. If I don't hear anything to change my mind I may just go ahead and get another XLT. Thanks, woodcutter

Attachments

• IMG_20130310_135547.jpg
    IMG_20130310_135547.jpg
    775.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20130313_162525.jpg
    IMG_20130313_162525.jpg
    293.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20130314_183924.jpg
    IMG_20130314_183924.jpg
    288.6 KB · Views: 29
T

Traveler

Up Grade

I am in the process of up grading myself next spring. I have a IDX Pro and love it, but I would like an indicator for depth. I look forward to the replies you get.
:)
Good luck

Traveler

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 35
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 35
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 41
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 52

Doug-Iowa

Mar 31, 2003
Ottumwa, Iowa USA
BEfore you buy I might recomend that you find a local dealer and take a Tesoro Cortes or Deleon out for a day. I am sure you will be very surprized by how light, accurate, and deep these machines are. Battery life up to 50 hrs on a set. They also have a fantastic group of coils avalible for them. And don't forget the LIFETIME WARRANTY they have. Take one for a test spin, you won't be sorry.

Doug-Iowa
http://www.djsdetectors.com

Rich in Texas

Jun 23, 2003
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MXT X2, Exploder, and Classic III
The MXT is the easiest to use serious detector. I gotta admit I am a Whites nut so I will get that out of the way and not deny it. I love my MXT!! The DFX is better, but you do need to like learning and tinkering with the programs. After having had an XLT in the past, my next detector will be the DFX. I enjoy playing with the settings and fine tuning. My MXT is just a great all around take everywhere detector. Good luck and happy hunting!

Rich

Attachments

• image22fv.jpg
    image22fv.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 41
  • ah2n.jpg
    ah2n.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 18
  • ah1xj.jpg
    ah1xj.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 31

Dave (Pa)

Mar 19, 2003
Dunmore, Pa.
I Gotta agree with Rich. I love my MXT becouse of its simplicity and fetures but my next one will be a DFX. The Mxt is a great Detecter and is very simple to use with all the top line depth. The only thing I added was a good set of head phones and a DD Coil.

Dave (Pa)

Mar 19, 2003
Dunmore, Pa.
Think Big, Think Small! All the gold you will find in Pa. is Glasial. It was pushed down from Canida. There was mountians of earth moved and in the prosess the gold was ground down to very small flakes and dust. Mountian vallys would have been filled with streem gravles. over time rain water cut through this fill and washed into the streems. In sertan areas these gravle deposits wash down over bedrock, these are the places to start but what you will find in most cases is that the gold is too small to be detected. In this case a small portable power sluice is your best bet. I have concidered detecting for gold but wold think the best places would be on top of the mountians where the gold would have been shoved into the cracks as it was pushed across the ground.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread