Want to get started Treasure Hunting - have some questions

Bulbear4444

Tenderfoot
Aug 27, 2011
I'm interested in getting started treasure hunting, but have no idea where/how to start. If you don't mind sharing your strategies, some help with my questions would be much appreciated:

1. What are some basic methods of finding treasure? I know metal detecting is one but are there any notable others?
2. What kinds of places are good to hunt in, and how might I find these?
3. What is some good brands/types of equipment to use? I'm not on a budget and tend to stay committed to my interests, so cost isn't a problem.
4. What are some good resources (website or book) to use to find answers to the first 3 questions?

Thanks ahead of time :thumbsup:

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Bb,You sure came to the right site!!!Dosen't matter what machine you have,LEARN what it's tellin ya!I personally use a Whites M-6,best kept secret their is,simple machine that can run with high dollar machines.2 controls/7 tone.GodBless HH Chris

baylorhall

Nov 17, 2008
North Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would see if there is a detecting club in your area. One of the best ways to get started is to be around people who love detecting and can help you out. If possible, you might want to go to an area store that sells detectors. That way they can tell you all about the detectors and you can try them out for yourself. This is the best site for learning all about the hobby! So much to read and learn. If you go to youtube you can also find a lot of videos that will teach you a lot and and get you all pumped up for going out yourself. When I started hunting a friend suggested I start with kids' playgrounds because it is easy to dig in the woodchips or sand. Later, when I was more confident I moved on to grassy areas. I also planted coins at different depths to see if I could find them. It takes awhile to really learn your machine, so be patient. I started with a Garrett Ace 250 because it was easy and light. I have just moved up to a machine that can hunt in the water. Found a gold ring today, my second day with it! I have only found 3 gold rings in 4 years, so I was really excited. Good luck!

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
If you look down the site menu you'll find forums for every kind of treasure hunting you could think of..and more. Also there's all the different detector manufacturers forums to peruse, and a LOT of advice if you look up all the old "beginner" threads. :wink:

UncleVinnys

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2007
Hancock Street, Folsom, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
1. What are some basic methods of finding treasure? I know metal detecting is one but are there any notable others?
One of the most talked about is ship salvage recovery, but you generally have to START with a few $million to get all the equipment, experience and permits in place. Still, there are those who seek treasure from lost money from robberies,
lost stashes, and some research into mining. Many people can find silver, copper, even diamonds with a little research into soil types, etc.
Other "odd methods" are coin roll hunting (see a section on this on Treasure Net), searching old cars in junk yards, old vending machines, etc.
There is a magazine devoted to treasure hunting.

Old homesteads are probably best. You can get an old US atlas, say 1960, on eBay, then check the rear index for your state. Compare it to a current atlas index. Some towns will have disappeared. These are ghost towns. Search where they used to be.

3. What is some good brands/types of equipment to use? I'm not on a budget and tend to stay committed to my interests, so cost isn't a problem.
Technology and competition has kept the industry on its toes. Try the major brands: Whites, Fisher, Garrett, Minelab, etc. Check out metaldetectorrevies.com before you buy.

4. What are some good resources (website or book) to use to find answers to the first 3 questions?
My favorite is "Metal Detecting for the Beginner" as it's not affiliated with any brand.
The BEST resource is right here - the knowledge base in TreasureNet.

FINALLY: Don't get all hog wild about finding a real treasure. That is like a one-in-a-million shot.
Be happy if you find a silver coin, an old mint date, or piece of jewelry.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, this website will take care of #4. I would like to mention research, research, research. You can't do enough of it. Historical research, not just buried treasure tales. (They are fun to read, though) Don't set your expectations too high at first, as you might burn out real quick. Then again, you just might be the one who takes to the field the first time and hits the big one right off. Good luck and good hunting!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok Bullbear,
The answer to where is.... wherever people gather! That's it in a nutshell. The best website.... well, you're already here! One more thing. As you start to find goodies, try to repeat the parameters. And stay tuned into this website! TTC

K

Kentucky Kache

Bulbear4444 said:
I'm interested in getting started treasure hunting, but have no idea where/how to start. If you don't mind sharing your strategies, some help with my questions would be much appreciated:

Thanks ahead of time :thumbsup:

Cache hunting does it for me.
Talk to some old timers about people burying their money in times past, and see what they tell you. Give it a try.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Warning!

You'll never be the same! :hello2:

OP
OP
B

Bulbear4444

Tenderfoot
Aug 27, 2011
Thanks for the tips, guys. Been browsing this site for the past week and bought a batch of coin rolls a few days ago, I also just ordered a BH Legacy 1500 Metal Detector and "Metal Detecting for the Beginner"! Super excited to get started! :laughing9:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions