Want to see an INCREDIBLE coin? UPDATE - cleaned and graded

Nick A

May 10, 2007
Columbus Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher CZ3D
Perhaps my first ever even close to banner worthy find. So, my wheat count hasn't been that great lately, and I have a 1000 goal for the year, figured with a little time I could add a few. Went to an older park today this morning and dug a shield nickel at 2.5 inches, along with a bunch of clad. Took a break for lunch and decided to head back over for a bit thinking maybe I could get those wheats and maybe an indian head. First target was the wheat... a 1910, nice. Second was an 1897 indian head. Goals achieved. Next pass I get a blip at the end of the sweep, decide to check it out. 12-43, 12-44 on the E-Trac, a little depth, I'm hoping for a wheat. Ok, so I pull out this coin, it's silver, WOOT! :o Ok, what the heck is it... I see what looks like a 106? It's bigger than a dime, thicker too with nice strong reeding on the edge... maybe one of those Philippines 10 centavos? No, wait, maybe it's a Barber dime? No, too big. Phillipines... no, keep looking at it... :o Holy freaking crap, it's a BUST DIME in AWESOME condition! :o I walk back to the car, gingerly place it on a soft towel I had in the trunk, try to calm my nerves and head back to hunting. Tried to stay focused, but did not find much else, a few modern clad. So, I come home, praying I didn't hit this thing with the digger and gently wash it under the faucet and pat it dry. My oldest and best coin after 19 years detecting, 1833 bust dime in awesome condition. Skipped right over finding seated or large cents.

UPDATE: Sent to NCS for professional cleaning and grading (cost about $40). Got it back Friday 8/28. Unfortunately still came back with a "cleaned" grade of XF, there were some fine scratches under the dirt they removed - just enough that it didn't make it. :'( Bummer. But still looks awesome for a dug coin, still has some mint luster too. :) Posted a picture of how it came out of the ground as well... before and after, lol.

Attachments

• 080109b.jpg
    080109b.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 6,029
  • 080109c.jpg
    080109c.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 6,009
  • 1833 dime clean 1a.jpg
    1833 dime clean 1a.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 1,761
  • 1833 dime clean 1b.jpg
    1833 dime clean 1b.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 1,757
  • 1833 dime in holder.jpg
    1833 dime in holder.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 1,754
  • 1833 dime as dug.jpg
    1833 dime as dug.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 1,755
Upvote 1

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
Re: Want to see an INCREDIBLE coin?

Super find! Congratulations! I have been looking for my first Bust silver since '74. I would take an AG or worse, as long as I could tell it was a Bust.

mikewaz

Bronze Member
May 9, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266 X Fisher F75

Wow!!!!!
That coin is in amazing shape. I've never seen one nicer.
Way to go bud!
Mike

vermonster

May 7, 2009
hootersville NY
Detector(s) used
whites prism IV
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

:headbang:yah-hoo how bout that now that is a incredible coin good 4 u :hello2:

peanut

Apr 19, 2009
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That is one awesome coin, I have been looking for one of those at least half that good for a while now. I found a few capped bust but they are pretty well worn out.

congradulations, peanut

Baldingboy

Bronze Member
May 17, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Professional with 6" Coil

I know it's not your first rodeo.....but I must commend you on your restraint for not wiping off that coin. What an unbelievable find!

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5

:headbang: :notworthy: :icon_thumright: Glad to see you made the banner, that is certainly a great find. First Mike, then you, I hope my turn's coming. :wink:

jorge del norte

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2005
nc
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex - Tesoro Conquistador Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

this brings me out of lurking.......damn nice!

OP
OP
Nick A

Nick A

May 10, 2007
Columbus Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher CZ3D

Sent it off to NCS (Numismatic Conservation Services) today for cleaning, conservation and a grade. Should take 4-6 weeks. Keep your fingers crossed, I'll let everyone know the results when I get it back. Thanks again all for the kind words and making the banner. ;D

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

What part of Columbus? Born at Mt. Carmel West. Just curious, because I plan on hunting up in Upper Arlington sometime at a friends place. AWESOME COIN. I can imagine what it must of felt like coming out of the ground.

Harry_Morant

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2006
Canberra
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well done on a Banner Find!

Evan/tn

Jul 7, 2009