Want to try something new. Advice?

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why not do both. I started off on a few month long penny kick and found 3 Indian heads and tons of wheats. I almost filled up my 1941-1975 penny folder. Missing a few of the S mint mark Wheatles. If you do nickels look for the 1942-1945 ones with the big mint mark above the building on the back. They are made of 35% silver. You can also find buffalo nickels and I even found a V nickel once. Also keep an eye out for 1950 nickels they are really low mintage.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a person hunts and collects is entirely a personal matter. We can't tell you what you'll enjoy more. It's like asking the forum what you should have for dinner.

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys im going to continue to hunt halves and dimes but i feel like trying something new. What should i try next? I know quarters are bad these days but whats better nickels or pennies? What do i look for in each?

What a person hunts and collects is entirely a personal matter. We can't tell you what you'll enjoy more. It's like asking the forum what you should have for dinner.

Nothing wrong with asking this question as a discussion starter. I consider it relevant and interesting to hear other peoples likes and preferences (both for coins to hunt as well as favorite evening meals) so long as there is some amount of elaboration.

For example, my response to OP's question would be . . .
I like doing nickels occasionally to break the monotony of halves and dimes. I look for war nickels, buffalo nickels, and pre-1940 jefferson nickels. I find very few buffalos and get, on average, 1.1 war nickel for every $100 of face.

As for E's comparison to asking the board what to have for dinner, my answer would be . . .
I like having brats on the grill this time of year because, once boiled in beer, they're done pretty quickly on the grill so the time outside in the cold is minimized. When all is said and done, the flavor reminds me of summer and helps me manage the cabin fever that sets in around the end of Feb in the bitter cold midwest.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread